Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 October, 2011, 11:34:55 PM
the vamps are mindless, snarling zombies (basically, they're zombies, it's a zombie movie)

Film zombies are pretty much identical to folkloric vampires.

Misanthrope

Shaun of the Dead.

I'm sure this movie gets better every time I watch it.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

COMMANDO FORCES

I watched The Book Of Eli the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's a bit Mad Max in it's take on the future but with an above average story, helped by the calibre of actors portraying the main characters. Could that book still hold so much power in such times, an interesting theory for definate and could be discussed for ages. After all, the pen is mightier than the sword!

My main love of this film was due to the visuals. I watched virtually every scene unfold with amazement at the cinematography. The backgrounds, the colours, the angles of shots and the composition on screen really took this film into a league of its own. I felt it really was that good.

Washington (and his stunt double) pulled off some interesting fight sequences and again these were all filmed beautifully on screen.

My one tiny fault was during one scene when Washington [spoiler]walks away in the town and is shot at twice before he does anything[/spoiler]. Other than that I highly recommend this film.

9/10

SmallBlueThing

Swamp Shark

Have i done this one before? Anyway, just watched it again, this time with the boys. They responded very well to the various shark attacks, yuck yuck yucking their way through the largely cg-created gore. The lack of swearing and nudity makes this pretty good sunday afternoon fun, and the vivid characters are child-friendly even if the bad guy's motivation took some explaining.

Fun. With a great cajun soundtrack. Yee haw!

SBT

johnnystress

I second SBT's endorsement of Stakeland...very, very good. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it

Professor Bear

Having really enjoyed Pearl Harbor I took a chance with Armageddon and was a bit disappointed, mainly by technical shortcomings in editing and direction that made a lot of it visually confusing, such as the shuttle crash sequence where it seemed to be quite clear that the bloke who played the demon in Drive Angry was the pilot of the crashing shuttle, yet a few seconds later he's piloting the other one, making the deaths of several characters lacking in any kind of gravitas.  Apart from the visual chaff, though, it's a hoot, with lots of manly handshakes and salutes and definitively non-gaysexual "I love you!"s between dudes in the face of the Ultimate Sacrifice, "let's turn this bomb off!", and all the usual Bay visual tropes come off as parody rather than someone taking things deadly serious.  The only thing that stood out as really poor was probably the Mir space station choosing that particular moment to explode even though there's a handy meteor shower excuse to give a plot-related reason for it to happen, and the 'psychological tests' sequence was painfully unfunny and all I could think was "chin up, mate, you'll make Human Centipede one day", though complaining about forced and unfunny comedy in Michael Bay movies is always an argument not worth starting so I let it slide.

radiator

Drive. Pretty good stuff, though it is a little bit style over substance - normally a film as self-indulgent would try my patience, but it was well-made and engaging enough to not put me off.

Girlfriend absolutely loved it though.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Just Watched Hot Shots Part Deux. I had forgotten how much I love this stupid, silly film
You may quote me on that.

radiator

Oh, and also been watching the third series of Modern Family - sadly the quality has dropped off at an alarming rate - still the odd good episode but overall nowhere near the standard of series 1&2, which are pretty much family sitcom perfection as far as Im concerned.

So often the case with these types of shows that characters very quickly become caricatures of themselves and it loses it's subtlety and charm.

JamesC

Just watched 3 Musketeers.
Utter shite from beginning to end and there's a blond girl in it who is literally the worst actress I have ever seen.

The unexpected appearance of James fucking Corden didn't help matters.

Roger Godpleton

CONTAGION: Very well made and has a genuine respect for public servants. The tone was still slightly too detached though. And Jude Law (as Peterwolf) was rubbish.

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN: The best film of the year. Just amazing. The sound mixing is astonishing.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

El Chivo

The Other Guys
Brilliant! Funniest Will Ferrel's been since Anchorman (not saying much i guess)
but really funny & mental!

Cheers

Chi

Professor Bear

Red State, one of the better Kevin Smith offerings, based on the "what if?" notion of the Westboro Baptist Church ending all pretence of being christians and becoming full-fledged nutcase cultists.  It's very scattershot and the latter twists where the Feds turn murderous on a dime is forced enough to take me out of it, but John Goodman is always watchable, and the chap who plays the Fred Phelps analogue is really good, eschewing scenery-chomping in favor of a gravelly-voiced preacher like what you may find any old place - even around my home town shouting on streets through loudspeakers on market day - but if you look closely you notice that his congregation seems to consist of the captive audience of his immediate family and extends slowly outwards to their spouses where cracks in the armor are beginning to appear.  There's a keen observation at work there that sadly doesn't extend much into the rest of the film, but it's still very watchable and commendable for keeping Smith from writing more Batman comics.

Tiplodocus

"Just watched Three Musketeers.
Utter shite from beginning to end and there's a blond girl in it who is literally the worst actress I have ever seen.
The unexpected appearance of James fucking Corden didn't help matters."

How odd? We took the Family Tips along to this last night and everybody enjoyed it.  There are many faults e.g.
- that blonde (though have you seen Transformers 3?)
- some very dodgy effects
- tedious speedy up/slowy down action scenes (is there a term for this? Snyderising?)
- not enough time spent on the charismatic main musketeers
- charisma vaccum where D'Artagnan should be
- terrible anachronistic dialogue
- it keeps riffing badly on superior movies

but the first half is nothing less than an extended love letter to the gorgeousness that is Milla Jovovich (reminded me of Kill Bill in that respect) and the second half delivers heists on the tower of London and steam punk dirigibles duking it out in the skies above France.

Those bodices and corsetts work well in 3D.

And it's better than at least three of the Pirates of the Carribean movies.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 October, 2011, 12:41:30 PM

And it's better than at least three of the Pirates of the Carribean movies.

Have to disagree with that.

I really did think that this was probably the worst film I've seen in a very long time.

To answer some of your points - yes I've seen Transformers 3 and agree thta the girl in that can't act either. She at least had a sort of 'rabbit in the headlights' likeability though - and she definitely had sex appeal. This girl in musketeers really was just like a mannequin.

Two other points you make pretty much nail why i hated the film so much. ie - it's called the Three Musketeers (who were actually all pretty good) but these characters are reduced to supporting roles.
The film is all about D'Artagnan but the actor playing him is absolutely bloody shite and looks about 10! He was in way out of his depth. The script was rubbish anyway - even the foreshadowing where his dad (an inexplicably American accented Dexter Fletcher) shows him that sneeky combat move didn't ever come to anything.

As for the airship battle - rubbish.

Ogling Mila Jovovich was the only thing that kept me in the cinema.