Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

RED is a fun film. So is RED 2.
The comic it's taken from is nowt like it though, which was a disappointment.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 07 March, 2015, 10:08:22 AM
RED is a fun film. So is RED 2.
The comic it's taken from is nowt like it though, which was a disappointment.

Helen Mirren is spectacularly good in them.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Spikes

A rather boring Saturday night in and I was faced with the choice of watching the Grud-awful AVP:R, or nowt. When another channel offered up salvation in the form of Sam Peckinpah's rather superb Cross of Iron.

A bit of a fave, this one, and not seen in a good while. Note to self; Must track down the Blu-Ray.

Tiplodocus

FOCUS
Will Smith (soon to be Deadshot) and Margot Robbie (soon to be Harley Quinn) look as ravishing as the locations and the clothes in a slick stylish hustle movie. It distills everything you've seen in previous hustle movies into a smooth and glamorous "mentor takes on protege" set up and ends with a fantastically tense climax at the New Orleans Superbowl (or big game as they refer to it).

Except it doesn't. It goes on for about another three hours after that with some big con nonsense about racing car fuel formulas and ends up in a pile of mushy nonsense where people say things like "Your turned into a good kid, there's not a bad bone in your body" to somebody who has spent his life robbing and stealing (and not so they can give to the poor).

But my goodness, it looks as gorgeous as Skyfall throughout.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

After listening to extracts of the OST last night, I sat down and watched Romero's Dawn of the Dead for the umpteenth-Billion time while working on some kit for the weekend. Still probably the best zombie film and my personal favorite, only contested by Fulci's ludicrously named Zombie Flesh Eaters, which in itself is a kind of sequel to Dawn.

I've always highly praised how Romero seamlessly linked three movies in the same cinematic universe, using different characters to establish different points and perspective in the zombie out break. Dawn I think show's the area that is so often over looked, the total confusion and raw human emotion at the sudden turn of events, some taking it at a leisurely pace, using the walking dead as easy hunting game, while others (the media, extremists groups et al) run themselves into a frenzy of paranoia and only catalyze the eventual down fall of humanity.

I really want to upgrade my crappy DVD though, Lionsgate seem to own the rights to a HD release ATM, but no news of a new release.

Spikes

Aye, you cant go wrong with Dawn of the Dead. A stone cold classic.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 March, 2015, 07:07:51 PM
I really want to upgrade my crappy DVD though, Lionsgate seem to own the rights to a HD release ATM, but no news of a new release.

Didn't Arrow release a pretty good Blu-ray/DVD combo a few years ago? Mind you, its OOP now, and pricey, to boot

Hawkmumbler

Indeed, as with all Arrows no defunct "White case editions" it was chocka. However it was already long OOP before I ever got around to considering buying it. Arrow lost the rights some years ago I believe, but I know for a fact Lionsgate now own the HD transfers. Maybe they're looking to sub contract it back out to another label? Hell, just give it back to Arrow so they can re-release it in one of their new formats if your not going to do anything with it. It's the only Living Dead movie that's not currently widely available.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I prefer the remake of Dawn, which I found really scary. It gave me nightmares for weeks.
Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

Really? Though an adequate movie it doesn't hold a candle to the original IMHO. And it certainly wasn't that scary despite some well executed jump scares.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 March, 2015, 09:51:56 PM
I prefer the remake of Dawn, which I found really scary. It gave me nightmares for weeks.

To think I used to respect you, I used to like your posts. I feel betrayed, you've made me feel so dirty and used...

Ghastly McNasty

The opening scene of the remake was terrifying. Everyone likes to see how the Zombie Apocalypse kick off and they did it really well. But yes, the rest of the movie wasn't scary other than loud noises at tense moments.

Tiplodocus

I like 'em both for different reasons.  The opening 5 minutes of the remake sort of hoists it by it's own petard though. Nothing after that has anywhere near as much impact.

Anyhoo...

I had a bit of time on my hands and after a hard week at work, I reached for comfort movies in the shape of James Bond.

I picked TOMORROW NEVER DIES and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH.  You may think me foolish but despite a multitude of flaws, both have some good stuff on offer.

The Bond bits they get right:

• opening stunts
    fab scores by David Arnold
    smart, sexy, feisty gals
    stone cold killer Bond (at least in one scene of each)
    great supporting cast
    some entertaining individual set pieces (Wai Lin fighting mano a mano, a set to in a missile silo)
    gadgets stay on the right side of believable
    Brosnan looks gorgeous throughout casually mowing down henchmen

The bits they get wrong:

• very weak and unoriginal villains
    recycling plots from previous movies
    mostly terrible dialogue and killzingers do Purvis and Wade actually know what a pun is?)
    some wasted set pieces (HALO jump just doesn't look exciting, motorcycle bit goes on too long)
Extra points go to TND for having a Julian Rhynd Tutt and Gerard Butler as sailors.

But I think I preferred TWINE; Jonathan Pryce just ruins TND (and for some reason, it also looks really cheap).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Recrewt

Yeah, Jonathan Pryce is a great actor but not really suited to bond villain.  For me, Goldeneye is the best of the Brosnan Bonds.

Goaty