Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Yes! More people need to watch this show!

radiator

Another thing I loved about The Americans is that they don't overplay the period setting. So many shows and movies set in a specific time period really wallow in all of the aesthetics and little pop culture references (Stranger Things is the worst example of this) whereas The Americans keeps it somewhat lowkey for the most part. I also really loved the music - both the score and the use of licensed tracks. Much like GLOW - another great 80s set show, they tend to avoid big obvious tracks and often go for slightly deeper cuts.

I loved the recurring use of Fleetwood Mac. They don't do it often, but when they do, you know shits about to go down.

Mattofthespurs

Fleabag

Wow! This is fantastic. Laugh out loud with a really, really dark heart.

I binged on the seven episodes available today and now the Missus is watching it.

Pretty darn brilliant.

radiator

Dandontdare

Aw, for a minute I thought you meant they'd dropped the whole of season 2 on BBC3, but sadly not, going to have to wait. Episode one was so good. The double bill with Partridge may almost get me watching network telly again at preset broadcast times - naaah, catch-up's still easier.

How quickly lifelong habits change: my folks still can't get their head around TVOD ("but how do you know what time it's on?"  ::)) but I've totally got out of the habit of checking TV schedules, the idea almost seems quaint.

radiator

I've been streaming only for 5 years. Watching 'live' TV feels so jarring to me now - I don't know how anyone can stand it.

Mattofthespurs

Watched the first episode of the new Partridge series.

Tbh I wasn't impressed.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 07 March, 2019, 07:59:41 AM
Watched the first episode of the new Partridge series.

Tbh I wasn't impressed.

I thought the second one was better.

Dandontdare

Yes, the first was a little subdued, but the second one was far better

Mattofthespurs

I'll give the 2nd episode a go then.

Interesting to see that according to some sources the audience dropped off by a 3rd for the 2nd episode.

JamesC

The second episode was definitely better.
I think the character has strayed a little too far from reality. At his best he was only a slight nudge down the sliding scale from Richard Madely. Now he keeps doing exagerated funny voices when he's supposedly delivering serious links.

Mattofthespurs

After Life. This is Ricky Gervais' new TV series.

Now, I'm a big fan of Gervais. Like 90% of what he does but this misses the mark quite a bit.

Having said that I've only watched the first 4 episodes and am expecting him  [spoiler]to become a reformed character who finds a new lease of life after feeling suicidal following the death of his Wife of 25 years from cancer.[/spoiler]

The problem I have with it is basically it's Gervais on Twitter. He digs all the usual stuff and swears a lot [spoiler]the word cunt is used quite a bit. At first it's mildly amusing in schoolboy fashion (and not a patch on the way it's used in Fleabag[/spoiler] but the main problem I have it's the way it's been filmed.

Each episode features certain scenes, which you just know where filmed together. So, a scene with a postman. A scene with his therapist. A scene in the office. A scene with his drug dealer...and so on and so on. No problem with this as such (saves money after all) but generally they are deposited into each episode in the same order and so it just seems like Gervais (being Gervais, not Tony his character) doing the same thing every single episode ([spoiler]and then saying the word cunt a lot or getting other characters to say the word instead)[/spoiler]

Also, he's a prick. ([spoiler]Which, as I have explained, I expect to change...Except I might not be around long enough to witness it as there are far better things on TV to be watching than this[/spoiler]

Would be interested to hear other views.

Dandontdare

Not seen this but the more of Gervais I see, the more I think the 'prick' persona is more than a comic character. He can be incredibly funny, but I imagine he's the sort of person I would really dislike if I had to spend any time with him.

Mattofthespurs

To be fair the interviews I have seen with him where he is 'normal' he genuinely seems like a decent bloke but nowadays his stance is simply 'out to shock'.

Now I don't know about you but I use the word [spoiler]cunt[/spoiler] on an almost daily basis. Probably because I go to football matches and support Spurs.

So it's not exactly shocking anymore. I also use the word in self reference quite a lot. (I am, it's true).

As this is the last bastion of swears perhaps we could come up with something else?