Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamping

Button man! Lovely! Now just to find a way to get it into the house without the Mrs seeing it...

BadlyDrawnKano

Quote from: Tamping on 25 May, 2023, 08:02:34 AMButton man! Lovely! Now just to find a way to get it into the house without the Mrs seeing it...

I'm very excited to see Button Man on there two, and the same would have applied with Zenith, but I just bought all four books on Ebay last month.

michaelarby

Is button man a good read? I'm cherry picking this last extension but it seems to already be far better quality than the last.

Zenith was a decent read - recognised a lot of familiar 'grant morrison-isms' that would appear in invisibles.

Just had Kingdom V3 and the new Dredd arrive through the door. Kindgom was one of my favourite discoveries of the whole UC so glad were getting a finale(?).
Art website: www.michaelarby.com

Colin YNWA

Quote from: michaelarby on 07 June, 2023, 09:42:27 PMIs button man a good read? I'm cherry picking this last extension but it seems to already be far better quality than the last.

Yes absolutely great. Highly recommended.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: michaelarby on 07 June, 2023, 09:42:27 PMIs button man a good read? I'm cherry picking this last extension but it seems to already be far better quality than the last.

Zenith was a decent read - recognised a lot of familiar 'grant morrison-isms' that would appear in invisibles.

Just had Kingdom V3 and the new Dredd arrive through the door. Kindgom was one of my favourite discoveries of the whole UC so glad were getting a finale(?).

Yeah, Button Man is a top series. What else is included in the third Kingdom book?

michaelarby

Cheers guys. Theres a strip called shako. Havent read it yet tho

Blue Cactus

Quote from: michaelarby on 08 June, 2023, 08:46:06 AMCheers guys. Theres a strip called shako. Havent read it yet tho

Ah, Shako! You're in for one of 2000ad's most subtle stories then  ;)

Le Fink

Quote from: michaelarby on 07 June, 2023, 09:42:27 PMIs button man a good read?
Not sci-fi or fantasy but still one of the best strips I've read in Tooth. I'm a fan of Arthur Ranson's art.

Bad Andy

Quote from: Le Fink on 08 June, 2023, 01:38:02 PM
Quote from: michaelarby on 07 June, 2023, 09:42:27 PMIs button man a good read?
Not sci-fi or fantasy but still one of the best strips I've read in Tooth. I'm a fan of Arthur Ranson's art.

If I remember rightly they opened it up with the line "One minute into the future..." or something so they could justify its inclusion.

What I loved from the first story is the fact that it could feasibly be published one page at a time, as each page told a mini narrative.

The Monarch

the contents of the kingdom book are the last two to date kingdom stories. the kingdom/shako crossover and the original shako itself. the annual story is missing though

michaelarby

Reread volume 1 of kingdom yesterday. So good! Gonna reread 2 before 3. Only annoying thing is I actually read the final story - alpha and omega in the prog when it came out. Cant remember much of it tbf, but cant help but feel a bit anticlimactic.

Le Fink

Enjoyed the last two episodes of Kingdom. I wonder if we'll get a Feral and Foe omnibus in this extension? If so I'd be getting it.

Shako I skipped through, read it a looong time ago, the depiction of the bear terrific in the first few episodes then the art seemed to tail off a bit.

I don't mind an old-school thrill - liked Return to Armageddon and thought Mean Arena was OK (although Death Planet and the second Mean Team were poor). Should I get Harlem Heroes? I don't think I've read the original series before. Have a vague recollection there was there a Dillon/Walker drawn follow up? Cannot remember much about it though.

Barrington Boots

I'd avoid that HH reboot - it's infamously terrible although there's some great art on the first few episodes before Dillon seems to realise its tripe.
I think the original stands up, but its definitely not as good as you'll remember it...
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

The best thing you can say about the Harlem Heroes reboot script is it's not the worst thing to ever appear in 2000 AD. Although it has a contender for the worst-ever line of dialogue: "Hey! What the hell happened to our quintuple X-rated movie?"

Not exactly Shakespeare.

Funt Solo

My even-handed review of the HH reboot:

"The 1990's soft reboot (set slightly in the future from the original but with no shared characters) throws up a gang of easily identifiable (but attractive) misfits (leader, vixen, driver, tough & hacker) that are forced into service as mercenaries by a shadowy government organization, and then betrayed. Also, they have jetpacks (which very rarely get used in a sport setting). Nobody ever changes their clothes, so if this was presented in smell-o-vision, you wouldn't like it."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++