Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leethomson

Got my replacement Thirteen today. All issues are still present, which is what I was expecting. I was really looking forward to this one and Hachette have totally shit the bed with it.

Jade Falcon

I finally got End of Days.  Bit of a mixed feeling about it.  The story was interesting, but rather jumbled.  It didn't help that I haven't read any of the other stories from that immediate era so there's some references I can't pick up on.  The additional stories were decent.  Still, I would prefer to see a Black Atlantic volume.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Le Fink

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 12 August, 2023, 07:16:28 PMI read Snow/Tiger...and I am disappointed.  I loved the first story...and it ended all too soon.  Black Light felt the same, and ditto with with the last story.  Three tales I loved and yet didn't get the coverage they deserved while stuff like Slaine got dragged out...
I've just read it and second your comment. Snow/Tiger was great, fast moving with superb art, but just ended far too quickly! Black Light was mixed on the art front but an intriguing story and I would have happily had more. The vendetta saga had a bigger bite of the cherry with three longer tales but could easily have continued. John Burns on top form throughout. A great collection so not exactly disappointed as such but left wanting more. Shame we can't have more 'thirty seconds into the future' thrillers, Tharg!

Doomlord66

Stopped collecting this series after 143, reasons being -
1, Running out of room. (also have the complete Judge Dreďd collection and the Eaglemoss Batman series*)
2, Got the Zenith hardcovers in slipcase for Xmas,

So now just cherry picking and just bought Machine Law, End of Days and Button Man v1

*still p*ssed Eaglemoss went bust and this series ended prematurely

Tomwe

Quote from: Doomlord66 on 17 September, 2023, 12:10:31 AMstill p*ssed Eaglemoss went bust and this series ended prematurely
Yeah me too! I flip-flopped on whether to stop at 100(?) and then hoped to get back into it just as it gave up the ghost. Still not read all of it.

sintec

Struggling with Black Siddha. It started well enough but by the 3rd book I'm just increasingly disengaged. The art's fantastic and Pat's providing lots of great stuff for Simon Davis to draw, I just don't really care about any of these characters. Feels a lot like Pat rehashing Finn but swapping paganism and Icke for Hindu mythology.

castle4

I've just received the latest Hatchette volumes 159 and 160, whoch is the previously announced Harlem Heroes vol 2 and Counterfeit Girl! Can anyone enlighten me please as I've never heard of it?

castle4

Oh, and for anyone interested, 160 also includes Shadows, Bix Barton and Tribal Memories.

IndigoPrime

QuoteCounterfeit Girl! Shadows, Bix Barton and Tribal Memories.
WUT? That's the hallowed 'rest of Milligan' book I was hoping for, bar (alas) Freaks. I had no idea this was coming. Here's hoping FPI has a copy...

castle4

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 September, 2023, 12:27:05 PM
QuoteCounterfeit Girl! Shadows, Bix Barton and Tribal Memories.
WUT? That's the hallowed 'rest of Milligan' book I was hoping for, bar (alas) Freaks. I had no idea this was coming. Here's hoping FPI has a copy...

If the attachment upload size was bigger I'd post the cover. It's spine 150 for those counting.

castle4

Richard

I'm delighted that Shadows is getting its first ever reprint after more than 30 years.

Le Fink

Happy days! Really looking forward to re-reading Shadows.

No Freaks though???

Le Fink

Quote from: sintec on 19 September, 2023, 12:52:19 PMStruggling with Black Siddha. It started well enough but by the 3rd book I'm just increasingly disengaged. The art's fantastic and Pat's providing lots of great stuff for Simon Davis to draw, I just don't really care about any of these characters. Feels a lot like Pat rehashing Finn but swapping paganism and Icke for Hindu mythology.
I've just finished this. It was OK. The protagonist was fairly unlikeable and not that interesting! Maybe that was the point? All the characters' faces were incredibly detailed and well depicted, but I found some of the rest of the art a bit murky. Not sure it'll get a re-read. I thought the Slaine series before it was also OK, in places stunning to look at. Other places, bit hard to make out what's going on. Story-wise, well you know what to expect with Slaine. I really liked the little black-and-white vignette at the start, with Chris Weston's inks. He's come a long way!

The Monarch

bix barton?!? was not expecting that