Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don wiskerando

Death Metal Planet shouldn't even have been released in the Megazine.

IndigoPrime

I imagine it's an easy piece of repro. All digital. All ready. Fairly unlikely to end up in a Rebellion trade, but scratches an itch for folks who want a collected edition. I'm not a fan of that particular strip myself, but I see the logic.

Jade Falcon

Picked up the lastest Flesh.  Still missing the second Harlem Heroes.  I know Inferno is divisive, but I have the phonebook edition and if I get it on hardback I could give the book to a friend.  I hope I can get it.

I'm looking forward to Flesh, and I had enjoyed both volumes of Button Man, a simple concept, but quite enjoyable and engaging
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Bad Andy

I found a bunch of old 2000ads in the loft earlier this year and it happened to contain the run containing Purgatory/Inferno which I eagerly re-read as I remembered quite enjoying them at the time.

Maybe the week break between episodes did it some favours, but it is dreadful all at once. I mean truly, truly appalling storytelling. Even Carlos' artwork gets boring with all these super-jacked judges roaming around.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: moly on 29 November, 2023, 01:36:09 PMNick Percival has posted that Dark Judges: Deliverance & Death Metal Planet will be released in the collection
Quote from: don wiskerando on 30 November, 2023, 08:00:55 AMDeath Metal Planet shouldn't even have been released in the Megazine.

:lol:

@jamesfeistdraws

JohnW

Quote from: Bad Andy on 04 December, 2023, 09:08:13 AMI found a bunch of old 2000ads in the loft earlier this year and it happened to contain the run containing Purgatory/Inferno ...

...truly, truly appalling storytelling. Even Carlos' artwork gets boring with all these super-jacked judges roaming around.
This is why I don't go up to my own attic. Who knows what's up there, forgotten?
A mad wife, locked away years ago, wouldn't be as bad as a complete run of Purgatory/Inferno.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Jade Falcon

Does Harlem Heroes Vol 2 have anything that wasn't in the phonebook edition?  My Smiths still doesnt have it in and I'm getting a little anxious
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Le Fink

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 04 December, 2023, 04:54:17 PMDoes Harlem Heroes Vol 2 have anything that wasn't in the phonebook edition?  My Smiths still doesnt have it in and I'm getting a little anxious
It says in the front of volume 2 progs 42-75. It's a pretty thin volume.
The back-matter doesn't cover any of the content - it talks about later stories based on or influenced by Harlem Heroes.

Le Fink

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 03 December, 2023, 12:30:39 AM... Button Man, a simple concept, but quite enjoyable and engaging
It's helped along by the art, which is so good too. it's fairly contemporary story-wise and I think Ranson's photo-realistic style really fits.

Funt Solo

Quote from: JohnW on 04 December, 2023, 04:04:15 PM
Quote from: Bad Andy on 04 December, 2023, 09:08:13 AMI found a bunch of old 2000ads in the loft earlier this year and it happened to contain the run containing Purgatory/Inferno ...

...truly, truly appalling storytelling. Even Carlos' artwork gets boring with all these super-jacked judges roaming around.
This is why I don't go up to my own attic. Who knows what's up there, forgotten?
A mad wife, locked away years ago, wouldn't be as bad as a complete run of Purgatory/Inferno.

And what if the mad wife (now bearded) then read Purgatory/Inferno, and was inspired, and then - as part of a revenge plot - escaped from the attic and toppled your Judge Dredd miniature, which then smashed an enormous breach in next door's garage? What then? Eh?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JohnW

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 04 December, 2023, 06:49:48 PMWhat then? Eh?
Easy.
I'd fell her with a single punch, and then settle down with my, like, trendy young shaven-headed psychic girlfriend.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Vector14

I've heard so much about how terrible Purgatory/Inferno is that I'm quite curious to read it.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Vector14 on 04 December, 2023, 09:06:42 PMI've heard so much about how terrible Purgatory/Inferno is that I'm quite curious to read it.

It's like the Dreddverse had an irony-bypass, mainlined testosterone and decided that "thuggish" was a desirable character trait. Seek ye subtlety elsewhere. (Tis Ezquerra, though. Makes things look good, even if the characters are surviving lava through the power of sheer rage. RAGE!!!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hackenbush

The thing that always got me about purgatory, was there was a misprint that swapped pages around in one of the later episodes and I don't remember anyone complaining about it.

Thus far I don't think the 2000 AD Ultimate collection has printed a single page written by Mark Millar. Do you think we'll make it all the way through?

(purgatory and inferno are in issue 38 of the dredd mega collection for those curious)

IndigoPrime

I'm trying to think what would be worth printing in the UC. Drawing a blank. The only thing I can see on Barney that I recall being really good in my book was Long Distance Calls, which is six whole pages. I know folks are fond of Canon Fodder and Silo, but they would both be waaaaaay down my list. And I imagine at this point in the collection, big names are going to be fundamentally meaningless compared to things readers properly want on their shelves. (For example, are 2000 AD fans collecting these volumes more likely to want the rest of The Order – for which the repro is already sorted – or would Cannon Fodder combined with another 100–150 pages to fill a book out sell more copies to offset the extra work?)

Quote(purgatory and inferno are in issue 38 of the dredd mega collection for those curious)
Although if you haven't read it and don't own it, don't be curious. Just pretend it doesn't exist. Those strips have no redeeming features outside of some quite good Ezquerra art. Everything else about them is garbage.