Main Menu

John M Burns or Peter Doherty - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 13

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 May, 2021, 06:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Few artists can claim quite a magnificent portfolio of stories as John M Burns, alongside some of the great Dredd tales, he waged war with Dante, crossed time and dimensions with The Order, his unmatched (to my eyes) paints showing the mastery of his craft he has learnt over decades at the drawing board. Alas in the Current tourney he was drawn against his Dante partner in the first round!

Mind speaking of classic Dredd and fine paints Peter Doherty knows a thing or two about both of those! It was hardly his fault he got Massimo in the first round of the Classic comp!

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

John M Burns - more info

OR

Peter Doherty - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Saturday 22nd May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Argh dammit. Two magnificent talents. This could be reversed tomorrow, but today it's:

John Burns 3, Peter Doherty 2.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Now, that's a hard one. With a twinge of sorrow for Doherty I have to mark it as:

Burns 3
Doherty 2

SBT

sintec

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 May, 2021, 06:27:52 AM
John M Burns - more info

Your link is going to the wrong John - think it should be more info

Nothing again Doherty this one is all about that superb painted art from Burns for me.
Burns 4 - Doherty 1

Magnetica

Peter Doherty is a great artist but I don't think of him as "owning" a particular strip. Whereas for me Burns is synonymous with Nikolai Dante (along with Simon Fraser). Plus also Bendatti Vendetta, The Order.

Burns 4 : 1 Doherty

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sintec on 19 May, 2021, 08:51:46 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 May, 2021, 06:27:52 AM
John M Burns - more info

Your link is going to the wrong John - think it should be more info

Nothing again Doherty this one is all about that superb painted art from Burns for me.
Burns 4 - Doherty 1

So it does - my apologise - I thought I'd tested all of those! Thanks for the spot Sintec.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

rogue69

TordelBack

Have I told you lately that I hate you, Colin? WHY YOU MAKE ME CHOOSE.

I am always thrilled to see either of these artists in my prog. Doherty and Burns are both absolutely masters of supremely atmospheric colour and affecting gore, Pete having the edge with his crystal-clear action, backdrops and believable SF tech, John with his contemporary backdrops, Rubenesque women, Rococo costuming (and generally great drapery) and twinkling eyes. I love them both. 

I think it just has to be Burns by a whisker, really more because his body of work takes in more strips that I truly love: Tsar Wars & the Pirate Arc, Scorpion Dance and Chief Judge's Man, The Order, even Bendatti Vendetta, Angel Zero and Black Light make the cut largely because of his real-world art.  Even with Breathing Space and Young Death, Doherty has never really seemed to have 'that' single strip or run that he can call his own, just phenomenal contributions to so many (the best bit of Judgement Day, Justice 1, Innocence & Experience). Sort it out, Tharg.

So with real regret,

Burns' 3 to Doherty's 2.

Tomwe

Burns just tops this one for me

John M Burns - 3

Peter Doherty - 2

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Rogue Judge

Ohhh this is a tough one, love both of these artists...

John Burns 3, Peter Doherty 2

Burns painted art is a beautiful thing, and he draws a Dredd scowl like no one else.

AlexF

Could've sworn I'd already voted on this one but must have lost it ot the aether.

Suffice to say, with so much Dante and the Order under his belt, it's not enough that Doherty is, for me, the better Dredd artist.

Burns 3, Doherty 2

I, Cosh

An interesting one this. Two artists that I don't have any strong feelings about at all. Going for Burns simply because I love Dante so much.

Burns 2 - 3 Doherty.
We never really die.