Main Menu

Grant Morrison or Alec Worley - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 16

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 July, 2021, 06:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Team Classic vs. Team Current
Only work for Tharg to be Considered

Last week and last two vote that can't affect the outcome, but will determine the nature of the victory for Team Current. Pride to play for and all that for Team Classic.

Few writers will divide comic fans opinion as much as Grant Morrison, pretense or preacher? The same is true in 2000ad and for Tharg (the only thing that concerns us forget ya Animal Man, Doom Patrol or Batman), but at his Zenith there is little denying he plays with the Gods. Alec Worley path under Tharg's tutorage recent thrill like the reinvention of Hookjaw and Black Beth in the special seem to indicate that as we go forward Alec will be providing many great treats.

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Grant Morrison - more info

OR

Alec Worley - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Thursday 15th July

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this voting work? Look here

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Solhiem Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly, have fun

abelardsnazz

Can I ignore Grant's attempts at Dredd and the monstrosity that was Big Dave in favour of the evergreen Zenith and some great Future Shocks? Alec has produced solid material for some years, but nothing that sticks out to me as much as Zenith.

Grant Morrison 3, Alec Worley 2.

broodblik

Worley 4: Morrison 1

If Morrison only did Zenith I would have given him 3 and Worley 2 but for all the other "nice" work he did in the prog he "loses" a lot of points
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

Sadly durham red, dandridge and age of the wolf have all been complete nadirs of the prog to me, although none have been favoured by art that appeals imho. Durham Red doesn't even seem to be the same character. I'm sure AW is a lovely chap tho so it's a regretful 5-0 to Morrison. And I don't even like that guy.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

robprosser

Morrison 5-0 for me and the only decent thing he wrote was Zenith.

IndigoPrime

Morrison gets a lot of goodwill for Zenith. It is one of the finest things to ever run in the Prog. And then you look at everything else (bar some solid Future Shocks): Big Dave; some of the worst Dredd, actively attempting to bring the entire thing down; like, Janus, like, Psi, like, Division, like; Really & Truly. And that's it.

I'm trying to think of another writer whose 2000 AD outputs is of a similar stature and do you know who I can up with? Alan McKenzie. It's easy to give Morrison extra credit, due to his post-Prog work, but, wow, his stuff for 2000 AD was mostly terrible.

Ignoring Worley's many interviews for the Meg, he's still been quite prolific. Unlike BPP, I think his Durham Red is fantastic. I honestly don't recall much about Dandridge other way, but it didn't offend me into not liking it. Age of the Wolf worked for me, knocked slightly by the visual design of the wolves.

So I'm going to echo brooblik in score and reasoning:

Morrison 1 / Worley 4

broodblik

I think everyone is forgetting the excellent Hook Jaw from Alec.

For me even outside the prog I do not rate Morrison stuff that highly his best work will always be Zenith in my eyes.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Now this is an interesting draw! There's no doubt that G. Morrison is, overall, a 'better' comics writer than A. Worley, even in just his 2000AD stuff he has produced more memorable characters and panels. And he makes it all flow so easily, where Worley can be a bit fussy with his plotting and characterisation You can tell he's working hard at it. But do I like Morrison's work more?

Short answer - no. Worley was still finding his feet on Age of the Wolf so it's not perfect but the underlying idea is so much fun. But he's much more accomplished on Dandridge and Hookjaw, and I've a lot of time for the madness of Realm of the Damned. Perhaps best of all, his occasional Dredds are always top notch.

Still, that Morrison knows how to construct a comic, and for all that I don't love even Zenith, I also don't hate anything he's done except for those 2 or 3 Dredd epics...

This all adds up to:
Worley 3, Morrison 2

IndigoPrime

Ha! I'd totally forgotten about Hookjaw (which I loved) and Realm of the Damned (which I... did not). Still that makes it about even, I guess, so I won't adjust my score.

Link Prime

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour

Morrison 5 / Worley 0

paddykafka

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Link Prime on 12 July, 2021, 10:22:44 AM
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
A bit cliche, but one of my favourite poems. Pity it's not Morrison's!

Link Prime

That's particular reveal, and some other key jaw-dropping moments in Zenith are one of the reasons I will continue to re-read it for years to come.

Will I ever re-read Worley's Durham Red, Age of the Wolf or Hookjaw? Frankly, no I won't.
That's just the reality of the situation for me personally.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

4-1 to grant

colin, think we should have a euros of writers and artists somewhere along the line. my guess is that scotland would start out as favourites, with spain and italy as dark horses.

milstar

Grant's work on Zenith is a must-have and probably his magnum opus at 2000ad. His Future Shocks, Rogue Trooper and Inferno are forgettable (to say at least).

Grant 2
Alec 0
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.