Main Menu

Operation Yewtree

Started by SmallBlueThing, 27 December, 2012, 04:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

The ongoing police investigation into the Jimmy Savile case seems to have gone very quiet over xmas. Last person taken for questioning for Max Clifford, i believe. There were reports online a few days later that at least one other had been arrested, but- barring Paul Daniels' seemingly panic-stricken confession of underage fumbling- nothing has broken via legitimate news outlets.

If you do a bit of googling, however, you'll find accusations that just about everyone sexually active and in showbiz during the seventies has been arrested.

So- can we please have a reliable, unalarmist, non-accusatory place to go to see what's what. Like here. No random names, no "i reckon..."s, just a regularly updated list of facts.

If for no other reason than we can tick off the 'operation yewtree bingo' cards we all carry in our heads when watching the types of tv shows that get a lot of airtime at this time of year, and lay odds on what classic popsongs we wont be singing next xmas.

SBT

JOE SOAP

Apart from the marsupial restraining painter that had his house raided and was questioned - confirmed by Mark Williams Thomas - I don't think there's much else until the investigation continues in the New Year.

SmallBlueThing

That particular case was what spurred me to ask. Are we talking superinjunction here? Or do tv channels not dare report it now, for fear of rendering the entire light entertainment xmas schedule unbroadcastable?

SBT

JOE SOAP

Likely fear of reprisal rather than an injunction.

Frank

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 December, 2012, 04:06:07 PM
So- can we please have a reliable, unalarmist, non-accusatory place to go to see what's what. Like here. No random names, no "i reckon..."s, just a regularly updated list of facts.

If for no other reason than we can tick off the 'operation yewtree bingo' cards we all carry in our heads when watching the types of tv shows that get a lot of airtime at this time of year, and lay odds on what classic popsongs we wont be singing next xmas.

I'm Jake the Peg, diddle-diddle-diddle-dee, with my extra leg, diddle-diddle-diddle-dee

Probably not what you're after, but former Radio One producer Ted Beston was on the end of a dawn raid on the 19th of December.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm not comfortable with this thread. It feels just so off-topic, like a dark shard of the world cutting  into our happy place, and - while I am sure it is not intended - there smacks of it the terrible tabloid thinking that an arrest equates to guilt.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

I'm with the good Doctor on this one.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 December, 2012, 09:21:34 PM
there smacks of it the terrible tabloid thinking that an arrest equates to guilt.

Just to be clear - Beston was arrested, questioned and bailed until February; it's never been officially confirmed that the magic marker-sniffing cat sympathiser alluded to above was the un-named 80 year old man questioned under caution by police and released without charge in November. 

SmallBlueThing

Yes, the whole point was to have somewhere without the innuendo. Being uncomfortable about a thread discussing this is, i would argue, symptomatic of why they got away with it for so long. When googling this afternoon i was shocked to see names mentioned as being arrested and/or questioned- who had not been reported in the legitimate media. It's not my intention to discuss those names- but i'd like to know who HAS been arrested and/or questioned, and whether these names are being deliberately shielded by the newsmedia, and if so why.

I thought we were all adults here and could discuss anything. If you don't want to, don't.

SBT

Dandontdare

Could I make it clear that I am alleging nothing about anybody, that I have not heard, nor am passing on any unproven allegations about anybody living dad or imaginary.  If I heard anything at all, I didn't believe it. Or disbelieve it. Or speculate one way or another in public or private. I don't tweet, but if I did I wouldn't. I've never even heard of Operation Yewtree and I don't know what SBT is talking about. In fact, I've never heard of him. Who?

Don't sue me.

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 December, 2012, 11:17:00 PM
Could I make it clear that I am alleging nothing about anybody, that I have not heard, nor am passing on any unproven allegations about anybody living dad or imaginary. 

Dr Freud, to the white courtesy telephone.

Dandontdare

:lol: hmm didn't spot that.

Reminds me of a joke off QI the other night though - how many freudians does it take to change a lighgtbulb? Two - one to screw in the bulb, the other to hold the cock...i mean father errr... LADDER!

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 December, 2012, 09:43:10 PM
I'm with the good Doctor on this one.

Aye, me too.  But SBT has a point too, and I don't have to look at it again, so I won't.

Steve Green

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 December, 2012, 11:14:50 PM
Yes, the whole point was to have somewhere without the innuendo. Being uncomfortable about a thread discussing this is, i would argue, symptomatic of why they got away with it for so long. When googling this afternoon i was shocked to see names mentioned as being arrested and/or questioned- who had not been reported in the legitimate media. It's not my intention to discuss those names- but i'd like to know who HAS been arrested and/or questioned, and whether these names are being deliberately shielded by the newsmedia, and if so why.

I thought we were all adults here and could discuss anything. If you don't want to, don't.

SBT

Well, how about we've just had a nurse commit suicide after receiving a prank call, police in the frame for falsifying records to get a tory sacked, as well as the outcome of the relationship between tabloid editors and the police to resolve itself in criminal trials.

Maybe those who leak this information are being a bit more responsible about innocent until proven guilty rather than it being sinister and wanting to feed their curiousity.

In these cases, I think anonymity isn't a bad standard, and nothing to do with a fatuous attempt to preserve light entertainment schedules.