Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

Trouty is out there and doing very well.  Seems very happy.

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 May, 2016, 11:44:46 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 May, 2016, 07:39:59 PM
Does natural honey work for hay fever, or is that an old wives' tale?

Locally produced honey was what I heard - might just be a placebo, but some have sworn by it.
A Kenalog jab used to be a life-saver for me, but my symptoms became less severe over time so my GP steered me onto generic meds instead.
The locally produced honey myth has been studied a number of times.  It doesn't matter where the pollen was from, by the time it's been through a bee, distilled and turned in to honey it has no effect (speaking as somebody whose asthma and hayfever would be greatly improved if it did).

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 May, 2016, 10:52:41 AM
Facebook has decided that it wants me to prove I am me and has  locked me out until I send it pictures of various of documents.

It's probably  because I don't  have my real DOB  logged (I'm 116 don't you know?).

But uploading images of passports and driving licenses sounds like a) a total scam  and b) a recipe for disaster.

Anybody else suffered this minor  impediment?
Quite a few subcultures have been targeted by hate campaigners using the 'report this profile' feature.  I've had tens (maybe a hundred) friends whose profiles were closed down, either temporarily or permanently due to the hate mongers :-(

Dandontdare

It's bad enough that Ryanair charge an exorbitant £90 to add a 15kg hold bag, but to then add another £3.60 admin fee for doing so is just taking the piss. It's like getting a kicking followed by an invoice for the shoe leather.

The Legendary Shark

Was supposed to be getting up at 1am for work. Went to bed early, feeling shattered after a string of long days. Awoke to sunshine and birdsong and a clock showing ten to six.

I threw my clothes on and piled out of the door in a blaspheming panic. It struck me that I should bite the bullet and ring the boss. Only then did I realise my 'phone was off. The alarm must not have gone off. Damned thing. I turned it on and the clock said 17:51.

I'd been asleep less than half an hour. So I went back to bed and dreamed about being lost in an airport in South Africa.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

In my book, waking up and finding you have plenty more time to sleep is drokking fantastic. Funny story mind you.
You may quote me on that.

Tjm86

I've done this as well.  It is really freaky.  Woke up and saw daylight when I was expecting it to still be dark.  There was something wrong though with the light and it really threw me.  Panicked that I was that late for work.  When I got downstairs my wife looked at me like I was nuts.  It was only about eight o'clock.  That was why the sunlight was odd, it was coming from the wrong side.  Kicked up to bed again.

Don't mind waking up a little bit early.  Got to be careful though.  Too early and I either can't get back again or if I do then I go back too much and when the alarm goes off I'm really groggy.

The Legendary Shark

Heh, I guess finding I had another 7 hours in bed was a bit of a bonus. The light thing was odd as well, thinking about it - but being sleep-addled and panicked it just seemed like an odd detail.

All's well that ends well, though, I'm currently having my break at the M18/M180 services. (Unless I'm dreaming...)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Considering where you are, not sure I'd use the word 'dreaming'!

Mattofthespurs

morpheas

Missed that Karl Urban was in FedCon in Bonn for the Weekend... :'( Only 141 km away. Gäh.

Banners

Today, I saw a logo and brand design being promoted by a much bigger company than mine, that's so fundamentally flawed in so many ways that I am genuinely emotional and upset about it. Never happened to me before, but just as good design can inspire and elevate the senses, so too can bad design have the opposite effect it seems.

Professor Bear

A paying gig with a tight deadline and like a complete fucking idiot, I said edits were included in the cost (which was already well-below pro rates): the client wanted four pages of comics art and they also wanted them coloured and lettered - all perfectly doable.  With a fortnight to go, it transpired there was some confusion at the difference between "pages" and "stories" and four pages was actually 16 (but creative wrangling on my part meant I could do this in 8 pages), and they still hadn't supplied a script because it had to filter through several layers of management, despite their hiring a writer specifically to do this job for them.
Less than a week to go for the deadline and no decision has been made on what the characters will look like yet, as after a few days of finally getting to draw something, they told me the setting had been changed from contemporary Myanmar to "space" and none of the characters were human now.  They've also just knocked off for the weekend, but before doing so, I was told to just go ahead and draw whatever I could apart from characters or backgrounds.

Long story short: I have a feeling I'm not getting paid.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Oh Prof, I think that's the worst 'client is a moron' story I've heard in a while.