Main Menu

Blakee Pentax !

Started by Ol^ Marbles, 05 July, 2002, 03:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol^ Marbles

I'm a bit bemused by Alan Grant saying (in David Bishop's latest Megazine review of 2k's history) that the phrase 'Blakee Pentax' is meaningless.
It is shouted at Sam Slade after he knocks over a Japanese tourist and breaks his camera. Pentax is a make of camera.
The Japs are obviously shouting "[You] break camera" in a bad Jap accent (not pronouncing the R's).

Link: http://iteslj.org/Articles/McKenna-Stereotypes.html" target="_blank">Japanese sterotypes in comics

Devons Daddy

a great moment of 2000ad history branded meaningless, from the lips of a lesser droid then alan grant, i would consider the writer to be some hack from the beano.

when did he last gaze upon this particular story. maybe he means in the style of the written script. highly likely in fact. the artist Ian Gibson created a definitive moment .

i would suggest this is the context he is talking from. rather then the finished work we know and enjoy.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Smiley

Maybe Alan Grant meant the phrase was meaningless in the context of it having no actual bearing on Japanese culture.

The phrase still makes sense from a British perspective, as long as you are aware of how some Brit's perceive the rest of the world. (eg: Alf Garnett saying them nips are fiendishly clever when it comes to making cheap cameras, etc.)

A racist cliche that us Brits have about the Japanese is that they are "slitty-eyed". I remember from somewhere (maybe a comic strip?) a stereotypical Japanese character referring to westerners as "round-eyed devils". I don't know if that's something the Japanese actually say, but it still makes sense to me because I'm aware some Brits label the Japs as slitty-eyed.

"Football Crazy" is a classic strip, though. Even if it depicts Brazil still knocking England out of the World Cup well into the future. No prizes for guessing who Grant supports.

Bah! Bloomin' Jocks!

Trout

:-)

- McTrout in dangerous waters

Devons Daddy

though thinking about it
what a great re print it would have been if they had of run it in may june in 2000ad. would have been really fitting and kept the re print critics at bay for a short while. next time eh boys.
maybe the chaps at rebellion could do with a little less xbox and PS2 and videos of wonder woman and  little more of somthing else.
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Mk13

And what, pray is wrong with, Xbox, PS2 and Wonder Woman videos (especially if they involve Lynda Carter)?

Mk13 (suffering from terminal Gun Valkyrie-related RSI this morning)

Devons Daddy

nothing at all the only problem is devons mummy does not understand the need for such appliances in the house.
im just jealous PS1 can only fill so much of the void between deliverys of 2000ad. .
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Smiley

Repetitive Strain Injury?
Lynda Carter?
Appliances?

You'll go blind, y'know.

Trout

"devons mummy does not understand the need for such appliances in the house."

Sympathy, mate, sympathy.

BTW, PS2 Medal of Honour is brilliant.

Bwa ha ha!

Trout

Mk13

>PS2 Medal of Honour is brilliant.

Te PC version is stealing vast amounts of my free time at the moment - awesome game.

Oddboy

What was the game Tim was playing in the zombie episode of Spaced?  I want to get that.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Stu

I think it was Resident Evil.

Mudcrab

Resident Evil 2 I think. Definitely wasn't the first one.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Trout

Yeah, it was Res Evil 2.

Excellent stuff, but it scared the sh*t out of me and Troutgirl when I first got it.

Tense.

Trout

Stu

I haven't actually played any of the Resident Evil series so I wasn't sure exactly which one it was.

Has anyone played the PS2 version, Code Veronica X? I might get that, now that it's available as part of the Platinum series.