Main Menu

Foundation on Apple TV

Started by von Boom, 25 September, 2021, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 September, 2021, 10:13:43 AM

Also, plays. Also, one of the best episodes of Babylon 5, Intersections in real Time, is just two people in a room talking. Also, Pulp Fiction is full of scenes of people talking. I don't think that comparing a TV show to a TV show is comparing two different things. The question is, 'is the talking compelling?' My answer to that question regarding the first episode of Foundation is 'yes.'
Especially when you have Lee Pace, Jared Harris and the like doing the talking. I loved the first episode.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 September, 2021, 02:00:50 PM
Ah, so Star Wars would have been acceptable if it had been filmed as Leia and Luke sat telling General Dodonna about everything that happened?

Get Threepio in there to do sound effects, it wouldn't be the worst Star Wars movie ever.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Episode 2's more of the same - another corker. One of the best things I've seen in a while - hope they can keep it up.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 27 September, 2021, 02:45:20 PM
Ah, so Star Wars would have been acceptable if it had been filmed as Leia and Luke sat telling General Dodonna about everything that happened?

Get Threepio in there to do sound effects, it wouldn't be the worst Star Wars movie ever.

C3PO is the [muthafluffin'] master Storyteller
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

OK. I take it back. I must have been in an odd mood yesterday, because we gave the first episode another go tonight and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Radbacker

Good god is this gorgeous looking, never read the books so don't really know the story but liking it so far.  Well acted and spectacular looking sci-fi, just what the doctor ordered.  The fact something like this can be made for TV just shows we are in the golden age of TV and I have high hopes for upcoming series on the streaming services (please be good Wheel if Time🤞)

CU Radbacker

O Lucky Stevie!

It may have (ahem) forced Lucas to address the deficiencies in his storytelling by not having the distraction of recreating of his favourite bits from his favourite films  to fall back on.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

von Boom

Episode 3. Bland and directionless. They're edging into 'The Mayors' territory but rather poorly.

Unsurprisingly they've added a lot of extraneous material but they can't seem to decide how they want characters to be portrayed. In the first two episodes, the Emperor(s) are clearly meant to be hated but then we're supposed to feel sorry for them?

What's clearly missing is Asimov's firm belief that intelligence and careful planning will do more than threats and aggression.

I know it sounds like I want this series to fail but I'm quite the opposite. They could've added a lot of needless padding as long as they had kept the clear story Asimov gave us. I'm actually desperate for this series to be great but so far no luck.

Remember the first two seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation? They were pretty dismal at points but by the third things really came together. This may be the problem with limited series like this. Eight or ten episodes a series is not enough to come to grips with the characters by the actors and the fans, especially for something as big as Foundation.

A longer series would give everyone a chance to breathe and relieve the pressure on the characters and the stories. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Tomwe

I was going to post in the current telly thread but thought I'd resurrect this old thread. S2 of Foundation just wrapped up and I say go catch up with it those who have just been pointed at Slow Horses on Apple TV+. The podcast was a great way to keep the momentum going too. For me, it's the complete antidote to Ahsoka's blandness (sorry I'm one of those). Now if only they can resolve the writer's strike we can get on with S3.

Le Fink

Yes season 2 got better and better, with a belter episode 9. It's now far removed from the source but it's great tv, so who cares?

The final episode I was a bit disappointed with, things tied up a little too magically/handily. Still, looking forward to season 3, second foundation vs the Mule.

broodblik

Do not expect the book expect the concept of the book. But all considered this so far for me is an excellent series.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.