Spoilers > Prog

Prog 2255 - Hag Reflex!

<< < (3/8) > >>

SimonBowland:
Pretty sure Alex has already written the second series of FTB, so it's definitely on the way.

Colin YNWA:

--- Quote from: SimonBowland on 27 October, 2021, 06:01:52 PM ---Pretty sure Alex has already written the second series of FTB, so it's definitely on the way.

--- End quote ---

This is certainly very good news.

Jacqusie:
I found the letter by Nic Freeman to be interesting, as it echo's some of my own concerns, albeit I wouldn't go so far as to call the Regened issues 'unreadable tosh'

What I do agree with however is that when the Regened strips were contained in the one-offs, they were aimed at a kids target audience and I didn't have to engage in reading them, so fair enough.

As many of these strips are now firmly established in the prog, I'm starting to disconnect from it somewhat. When I started reading 2000AD in 1988, comics were in a boom time of attempting credibility for adult readership and so became more 'mature in content. As a 13 year old, reading Crisis and 2000AD was great for my adolescent brain.

The prog is now going the opposite way, lowering it's age bracket and fair play if that what it needs to do to survive. I've nothing against Pandora Perfect per se, but it's clearly aimed at teenagers and not an greying 46 year old such as myself who has now started listening to Radio 4 (crikey!)

So I think as I'm growing older and 2000AD is growing younger, after 33 consistant years of collecting it week after week, it might be time to let go of a relationship, where we've both changed so much from when we started.

There are the odd gems here and there such as Scarlet Traces and I had decided to leave when Wagner penned his last Dredd, but I'm not sure I can keep reading after my subs runs out next summer dining on one or two scraps of quality.

broodblik:
The cover as a  3D model:

IndigoPrime:
Seems an overreaction to me to quit over Regened. 2000 AD is an anthology. During 2000 AD’s entire run, I’d say I on average I’ve cared about three of the five strips. There have been plenty of clunkers. But only during 2000 AD’s nadir period did I consider binning the Prog (John Smith being the reason I didn’t).

It’s not like every Prog is becoming 100% Regened. Now and again, a strip gets a run to enable larger collections to be viable, which might provide greater longevity to the brand as a whole. As for this:

--- Quote ---As many of these strips are now firmly established in the prog, I'm starting to disconnect from it somewhat.
--- End quote ---
‘Many’ seems to be doing heavy lifting. Perhaps I’ve lost count, but we’ve had, what, three strips in total? Pandora’s not unlike plenty of other humour strips throughout the Prog’s history (with the exception that I actually like it). Full Tilt Boogie blazed along, with plenty of stuff happening. I was less keen on where Dept K went and it and Boogie do both feel a bit ‘Phoenix’ in terms of target audience. But they’re perfectly readable stories, which is what I want from a Prog.

Or, to put it another way, I’d much sooner have another series of Pandora than more Skip Tracer or, I dunno, Greysuit.

But it’s all personal taste, right? I’ve really enjoyed the recent run: five out of five for this set, every week. I get that others don’t feel that way. Similarly, I don’t have much nostalgia for the old days. Reading through the Hachette collection has been pretty interesting. Robo-Hunter was a chore. Nemesis I–IV still clicked. Quite random. Yet The Red Seas and Brink? Lovely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version