Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2023

Started by Dash Decent, 11 November, 2021, 01:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

I am the Law: How Judge Dredd Predicted Our Future - Paperback,  5th September 2023
By Michael Molcher

He is the law - and you better believe it!

Judge, jury and executioner, Judge Dredd is the brutal comic book cop policing the chaotic future urban jungle of Mega-City One, created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra and launching in the pages of 2000 AD in 1977.

But what began as a sci-fi action comic quickly evolved into a searing satire on hardline, militarised policing and 'law and order' politics, its endless inventiveness and ironic humour acting as a prophetic warning about our world today - and with important lessons for our future.

Blending comic book history with contemporary radical theories on policing, I Am The Law takes key Dredd stories from the last 45 years and demonstrates how they provide a unique wake up call about our gradual, and not so gradual, slide towards authoritarian policing.

From the politicisation of policing to 'zero tolerance', from violent suppression of protest to the rise of the surveillance state, I Am The Law examines how a comic book warned us about the chilling endgame of today's 'law and order' politics.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

CalHab

Is it normal for books to wait almost two years to be published? Is this still the paper supply problem that publishers were struggling with?

Colin YNWA

He announced it on Facebook a couple of week ago (sorry meant to post it across here) and said next year so that date might be wrong?

robprosser

Hardback next year then the paperback in 2023?

Richard

It says 2023 on Amazon and doesn't mention a hardback edition. Maybe he's still writing it?

davidbishop

Amazon is listing the Fiends of the Eastern Front collection - originally due out 2020, bumped to avoid Fiends featuring in the 2000AD partwork - for publication in October 2023.

I, Cosh

I hope Frank/Sauchie/Tom of Finland/Wullie/etc is looking forward to their royalty cheque.

Call me Cassandra
We never really die.

Dash Decent

"2000AD predicted the future" always reminds me of similar claims made about MAD magazine.  There's various inventions and trends they presented that likewise transitioned from joke to reality, such as Al Jaffee 'predicting' the automated spell check.  It was a sporadic theme in their letters page over many, many years.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Joe Pineapples: Tin Man - (Mills, Bisley, Langley) Hardback, 27th January 2023

Stranded for millions of years on an asteroid is hard work - especially when you only have a sewage droid for company! A.B.C. Warrior and ace robotic sniper, Joe Pineapples, looks back over his life as he seeks to unravel the mystery and the meaning behind an I.D. plate that he has carried around since his days as an X-terminator fighting in the Volgan War.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Max Headroom

Is this 'Joe Pineapples: Tin Man' Pat Mills' swansong for 2000ad? I cannot remember if he said that he was potentially open to returning to the comic to complete his unfinished stories??

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Max Headroom on 25 November, 2021, 03:22:48 PM
Is this 'Joe Pineapples: Tin Man' Pat Mills' swansong for 2000ad? I cannot remember if he said that he was potentially open to returning to the comic to complete his unfinished stories??

He's mused on what he would do to end things, so I remember folks post tweets refering to Savage and ABCs. So certainly doesn't seem to have entirely closed the door. So its possible I guess. Whether it happens, well...

IndigoPrime

TBF, it'll take longer to end ABC Warriors, because we'd need another book first where the gang gets back together for the 15th time.

broodblik

The Ballad of Halo Jones -  Full Colour Omnibus Edition to be published in 2023:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Max Headroom

Is this 'Halo Jones Omnibus' a hardcover? (Hoping so!)

IndigoPrime

The press release doesn't say one way or another.