Spoilers > Prog

Prog 2263 - The Galaxy's Gunning for Proteus Vex

<< < (3/5) > >>

broodblik:
The only criticism I have against The Out is that sometimes Harrison's art I struggle to comprehend what is going on especially the last two pages (if you compare that with the opening page which is just brilliant). Overall his art is great and works with the strip.

Funt Solo:

--- Quote ---Don't know if its me or what but I used to love the prog for its social commentary hidden in witty action-packed sci-fi stories. Now I think it is high-blown space opera for the sake of being space-opera, but with no relation to our times or lives.
--- End quote ---

---

I thought this online comment was ironic (not deliberately, but from my perspective) given the actual contents of this prog.

Working Girl (co-starring Dredd) features Mona Plankhurst - a single mother trying her best to make ends meet, but employed by a hegemonistic corporate edifice that doesn't care for her needs. So, I mean, if you're looking for social commentary and you're not actually seeing it here ... is the blindness wilful? Because it's also witty, and also action-packed and also sci-fi. It checks all the boxes that the writer seeks, and yet they're not seeing it.

Proteus Vex and his female co-protagonist are battling against a galactic hegemony who are trying to wipe out a sentient species in order to maintain control and hide their past crimes of genocide. More social commentary, action, wit and sci-fi. Another home run that's somehow not seen by our blinkered friend.

The Order ... uhm. Okay. Well - maybe the exception that proves the rule? But wait: a multi-racial crew led by two women that are battling a robotic inter-dimensional hegemony. Bingo!

Kingmaker - an Orc and a Dryad fight together against - wait for it - a galactic hegemony! Fuck me - if you had a complaint, wouldn't it be that too many of the stories feature social commentary, action, sci-fi & wit? They're all bloody well at it.

Okay, last chance - The Out. Lone female protagonist. Actually, that's three out of five stories with female lead protagonists - see how we've moved on from the 80s? Can I call this meta-social commentary? Is the particular issue at stake in this prog a reflection of how we feel when our governments go to war against the will of the people?

---

Great prog, scoring 4 : 1 against the Thrill-Suckers and in the pipe, five-by-five for "social commentary hidden in witty action-packed sci-fi stories".

geronimo:

--- Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 January, 2022, 07:15:02 PM ---
--- Quote ---Don't know if its me or what but I used to love the prog for its social commentary hidden in witty action-packed sci-fi stories. Now I think it is high-blown space opera for the sake of being space-opera, but with no relation to our times or lives.
--- End quote ---

---

I thought this online comment was ironic (not deliberately, but from my perspective) given the actual contents of this prog.

Working Girl (co-starring Dredd) features Mona Plankhurst - a single mother trying her best to make ends meet, but employed by a hegemonistic corporate edifice that doesn't care for her needs. So, I mean, if you're looking for social commentary and you're not actually seeing it here ... is the blindness wilful? Because it's also witty, and also action-packed and also sci-fi. It checks all the boxes that the writer seeks, and yet they're not seeing it.

Proteus Vex and his female co-protagonist are battling against a galactic hegemony who are trying to wipe out a sentient species in order to maintain control and hide their past crimes of genocide. More social commentary, action, wit and sci-fi. Another home run that's somehow not seen by our blinkered friend.

The Order ... uhm. Okay. Well - maybe the exception that proves the rule? But wait: a multi-racial crew led by two women that are battling a robotic inter-dimensional hegemony. Bingo!

Kingmaker - an Orc and a Dryad fight together against - wait for it - a galactic hegemony! Fuck me - if you had a complaint, wouldn't it be that too many of the stories feature social commentary, action, sci-fi & wit? They're all bloody well at it.

Okay, last chance - The Out. Lone female protagonist. Actually, that's three out of five stories with female lead protagonists - see how we've moved on from the 80s? Can I call this meta-social commentary? Is the particular issue at stake in this prog a reflection of how we feel when our governments go to war against the will of the people?

---

Great prog, scoring 4 : 1 against the Thrill-Suckers and in the pipe, five-by-five for "social commentary hidden in witty action-packed sci-fi stories".

--- End quote ---

5 x Women fighting the Hegemony = Just following the recent trends really.

Jim_Campbell:

--- End quote ---

IndigoPrime:
Yeah, but it’s no longer mostly white men being really violent against/rude to foreigners and getting to shag hot women. That is the kind of ‘social commentary’ that would totally resonate with a modern audience!

*cough choke etc*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version