Main Menu

Prog 1997 - got that back to school feeling?

Started by moly, 03 September, 2016, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Interesting little sidebar from Frank about artists masterworks. I agree with those he mentioned, what others?
Bolland on Judge Death Lives
Bisley on The Horned God
Staples on Dark Justice
Ezquerra is tougher as Necropolis jumps to mind but I think his black and white work on 2000AD era Strontium Dog from Schicklgruber through to Rage is some of the finest comic art I have ever had the privilege of seeing.
Slightly off topic but the prog thread is of an age now.

Hawkmumbler

5 for 5 in the prog right now, not a dull thrill out of the lot of them.

Dredd is, as many more eloquent chaps have put it, blindingly good right now. An absolute joy and I eagerly await the next installment each week. I do have to say though, from a scripting POV it's clearly not Vienna. No lines, nothing to tip maybe off that this ISN'T Dredd's niece. But none of that matter because it's all so good!

Jaiger and Outlier barrel along at a great pace whilst the former sets up some nice long term plans for the series, sad this run shall be so short. Scarlet Traces is divine, absolutely adoring this bit of Gerry Anderson homage pie. Awesome stuff!

Anderson is also pleasantly excellent if a little light weight. Can't say I've been surprised much by events as they unfold but it's been nice to have Dyer in the prog again who's really grown into his style.

73north

loving all the 2000ad stories -
the highlights for me , Jaegir ( Gordon Rennie's writing is at the top of his game on this strip )
with superb art by Simon Coleby
and Dredd - where the Wagner/ Ezquerra dynamic duo always deliver the goods .............
they both are also at the peak of their profession
can't wait till Saturday , to read the on-going stories again

Frank

Quote from: Trent on 08 September, 2016, 10:42:23 AM
Interesting little sidebar from Frank about artists masterworks. I agree with those he mentioned, what others?
Bisley on The Horned God
Staples on Dark Justice
Ezquerra is tougher as Necropolis jumps to mind but I think his black and white work on 2000AD era Strontium Dog from Schicklgruber through to Rage is some of the finest comic art I have ever had the privilege of seeing.

Can't argue with any of that, especially the observation that Carlos has enjoyed at least two golden ages. I think we have to accept it's just all golden age, and that the gentleman shits gold bricks.

Henry Flint on Titan, Yeowell's Phase Two, and Bagwell's Ten Seconders. Every panel of those was virtuoso.

Link Prime

Quote from: Frank on 08 September, 2016, 11:45:37 AM
Quote from: Trent on 08 September, 2016, 10:42:23 AM
Bisley on The Horned God
Staples on Dark Justice

Can't argue with any of that, especially the observation that Carlos has enjoyed at least two golden ages. I think we have to accept it's just all golden age, and that the gentleman shits gold bricks.

Henry Flint on Titan, Yeowell's Phase Two, and Bagwell's Ten Seconders. Every panel of those was virtuoso.

This really deserves it's own thread (or two threads- best work by an artist / best work on each strip).

I'll throw in Bryan Talbot on Nemesis Book VI, Ewins & McCarthy on Bad Company 1 and Kev Walker on The Khronicles of Khaos.

sheridan

Quote from: Rackle on 08 September, 2016, 09:29:00 AM
I loved the cover of this prog. It only occurred to me that lots of kids were back to school in the real world this week after seeing the cover
Back to school day on the exact day the prog was released as well*

*for non-subscribers

I, Cosh

Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2016, 12:34:47 PM
Quote from: Rackle on 08 September, 2016, 09:29:00 AM
I loved the cover of this prog. It only occurred to me that lots of kids were back to school in the real world this week after seeing the cover
Back to school day on the exact day the prog was released as well*

*for non-subscribers**
** who don't live in Scotland.
We never really die.

Greg M.

Yeowell's Phase Two

Phase Three. For me, that's the one where he reaches a peak. I see Phase Two as a cusp work - halfway between the more conventional Phase One (though getting increasingly less so as it continues) and the more stylised and abstract Phase Three. And then, of course, he kind of dials it all back again and heads off towards a much more minimal style.

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 08 September, 2016, 12:54:52 PM
Yeowell's Phase Two

Phase Three. For me, that's the one where he reaches a peak. I see Phase Two as a cusp work - halfway between the more conventional Phase One (though getting increasingly less so as it continues) and the more stylised and abstract Phase Three. And then, of course, he kind of dials it all back again and heads off towards a much more minimal style.
I wouldn't be able to choose between each of the four phases - with all due respect to the colouring droid (Gina?) for the last phase, I'd still love to see it in black and white.

Dash Decent

Cam Kennedy is another one that's hard to pin down.  I was going to say his run on Rogue Trooper.  Weird alien lifeforms in the Gasbah, costumed crazies in Fort Neuro, swirling gas clouds, bombed out armoured cars, craters, a sense of place and atmosphere: nothing was too hard.  However, he's equally as good on Dredd imbuing a sense of movement into the skysurfers and equally the immobility of the stuffed corpses in the Taxidermist tales.

Now, about that cover.  I'm sure I heard an Alan Grant interview where he said comics are illegal in MC1.  Is the cadet studying it?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Trent

Yeowell's artwork certainly evolved over the 4 volumes. I discount myself from picking a favourite as the Apex Edition of Phase 1 has made me utterly fall in love with that volume but I dare say a similar presentation of any Book would have a similar effect.

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 08 September, 2016, 03:37:16 PM
Cam Kennedy is another one that's hard to pin down.  I was going to say his run on Rogue Trooper.  Weird alien lifeforms in the Gasbah, costumed crazies in Fort Neuro, swirling gas clouds, bombed out armoured cars, craters, a sense of place and atmosphere: nothing was too hard.  However, he's equally as good on Dredd imbuing a sense of movement into the skysurfers and equally the immobility of the stuffed corpses in the Taxidermist tales.
While the Midnight Surfer is undoubtedly a masterpiece, I did have pretty much the entire run or Rogue Trooper in the back of my mind - particularly Fort Neuro, Gasbah and the one where Gunnar was brought back to life*.  Plus the appearance of Skizz('s race) in the Gasbah :-)

*You Only Live Twice?  Or is that the Bond film?  Something like that!

Steve Green

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2016, 04:54:22 PM
*You Only Live Twice?  Or is that the Bond film?  Something like that!
Die.  You Only Die Twice.

DrRocka

4 pages in and nobody's let slip some horror at PJ slaughtering an ickle Juvie? By gum, we've all become desensitised around 'ere.
Plus, did anyone else spot the bottle of Jaegirmeister? Nice touch, droids!
Never ever bloody anything ever