Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Peter Wolf

"Hurricanes, flood, typhoon and droughts we have from time immemorial thought of as the invisible acts of God we can see clearly now as the visible acts of man."

He will add: "The task of politics is to overcome obstacles even when people say they cannot be surmounted. The task of statesmanship is to make the desirable possible, and make ideals real even when critics tell you they are inevitable dreams."

Gordon [Delusional] Brown - 17/12/09

;D ;D ;D

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mikey

You were talking to Gordon Brown?! Did you get few things off your chest then Peter?  :-*

Where's the first quote from anyway? I think the second is fair enough TBH, maybe a bit quixotic in some peoples eyes but still.

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mikey on 18 December, 2009, 09:55:13 AM
You were talking to Gordon Brown?! Did you get few things off your chest then Peter?  :-*

Where's the first quote from anyway? I think the second is fair enough TBH, maybe a bit quixotic in some peoples eyes but still.

M.

It was from this article :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-climate-change-confe/6827738/Copenhagen-climate-conference-Britain-could-make-biggest-emissions-cuts.html

The quote is at the foot of the page.

So is mankind now responsible for all the extreme weather since mankind has been around since the stone age ?

Who was responsible for last nights snowfall ?

Is Gordon Brown admitting that weather manipulation/Geo-engineering/HAARP is responsible ?

I just hope insurance companies didnt read the article.

WoD

It's not a quote as such though Peter...not until he actually makes the speech at least and actually uses these (rather dumb) words...if he actually does use them.

TordelBack

"Hurricanes, flood, typhoon and droughts we have from time immemorial thought of as the invisible acts of God we can see clearly now as the visible acts of man."

I can see how you could parse this statement so that it just-about made sense, i.e. in the past we thought all natural disasters were God's fault, some of today's can be seen as Man's fault, but boy is that a badly-worded sentence.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 December, 2009, 06:42:34 PM

I can see how you could parse this statement so that it just-about made sense, i.e. in the past we thought all natural disasters were God's fault, some of today's can be seen as Man's fault, but boy is that a badly-worded sentence."

You could also exchange the word "God" to "natural" if the word "God" which is an ambiguous or metaphorical term if it offends your sensibilities and yes i can go along with the "acts of man" comment and i hinted as to why i do because of my previous comment plus many other factors.

Also of course its all conjecture and an assertion [that needs to be backed up with evidence etc etc] to state that all Hurricanes are caused by man for example.Another thing to notice is the use of the word "We" whiich is being used here as a kind of suggestion or Neuro-Linguistics because he is using that word to refer to the collective [Us - everyone] which could be viewed as ...STOP... Well actually i am going to leave this now before my "Scott" syndrome kicks in....

I am sure you know what i mean here. ;)

Its amazing actually how much you can deconstruct something when you think about it a bit.Even a one sentence comment.

He also does this all the time or his speechwriters are totally inept.I read or hear this kind of badly worded and idiotic babble from them all the time.

Quote from: WoD on 18 December, 2009, 01:24:43 PM
It's not a quote as such though Peter...not until he actually makes the speech at least and actually uses these (rather dumb) words...if he actually does use them.

Thats right as i did notice the article stated "He will say.." in regard to these quotes ?? that were added to the end of the article almost like an afterthought."Flood" and "typhoon" being used in the singular rather than the plural may be a journalistic error.

And i used to think that my grammer was poor.

Kerrin

"You know Holland's in Germany yeah. What language do they speak?"

mogzilla

Quote from: James Mackay on 21 October, 2004, 06:52:17 PM
Them: Hello, Buchanan, Clark and Bastard solicitors, how can I direct your call?

Me: Oh, hi, you've been sending threatening letters to the person who used to live here because they owe your client V-mobile money.

Them: Oh yes, we're getting a court order against you next week.

Me: But I've phoned and written to both you and your client, pointing out that Miss UnfeasiblylongBulgarianname no longer lives here.  I've sent you a copy of our tenancy agreement, I've provided utility bills, and given you the name of the landlord.

Them: Well, I'm afraid that until the lady in question contacts us we have to continue to proceed against you because this is her last known address.

Me: Eh???????
that reminds me of a recent bout of id theft my wife had when the final demand came for the credit card she'd never had...the numpty had tried contactin the woman at an adress and telephone number that didnt correspond with ours "but we've been unable to contact her" no shit?

Peter Wolf

"War is good for the economy"

I have heard this said so many times directly but its a complete fallacy whichever way you look at it.

O Lucky Stevie!

"The middle of the page? Is that near the top or at the bottom?"
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mike Carroll

Just remembered a wonderfully stupid thing one of my sister's former boyfriends said to her once...

They were talking (for some now-forgotten reason) about cruelty to animals, and the boyfriend said, "Yeah, man... I'd hate to work in a reservoir."

"Uh, what?"

"You know. Killing all the cows and everything."

My sister immediately twigged that he'd meant to say "abattoir", but of course she wasn't going to let a line like that go without comment. She replied, "What do they drown the cows now?"

Said boyfriend didn't last long, but he was tremendously entertaining from that aspect.

-- Mike

House of Usher

"Is Pepsi okay?" or "is Coke okay?" in response to the request "I'll have a cola, please."

Bearing in mind Pepsi and Coke are the two leading brands of cola, and I didn't specify any particular brand, you'd think it would be safe to assume either would do, and that Happy Shopper, Panda Pops and Virgin Cola might be in with a shout as well.
STRIKE !!!

worldshown

This one made me think that my mother's stroke was more serious than first thought until I realised that she's like this most of the time.

"Those Disney films on BBC1 - what station are they on?"