Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Not said to me, but said near me. Three -- count 'em -- THREE university students at a quiz machine in the pub. "What gas makes up 80% of the Earth's atmosphere? Is it hydrogen?" "Yeah, I reckon it is. Steve?" "Oh, yeah, definitely."

FFS!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

COMMANDO FORCES

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 10 January, 2010, 08:52:26 PM
Those children are our future!

I'm quite old and will probably be dead soon. This is the only comfort I can derive from the statement above ...

Cheers!

Jim

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mike Gloady

Still getting over the hilarity that is the homophobic movie night.....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Peter Wolf

"Carbon Dioxide is a pollutant"

"Carbon Dioxide is global warming pollution"

:lol:

I have heard or read those stupid comments far too many times.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

Carbon gets released into the atmosphere and taken out again constantly and cyclically. I think the idea is it's not ideal from a human point of view for it all to be released into the atmosphere at the same time.
STRIKE !!!

M.I.K.

Yep. An excess of carbon dioxide is certainly not good whether you want to call it a pollutant or not. Shut yourself in an airtight room and you'll soon find that out, (unless you're a triffid or an aspidistra or something).

M.I.K.

Actually, an excess of oxygen probably wouldn't be very good for plants.

Unless the room was dark, in which case they'd be breathing in the oxygen and breathing out the carbon dioxide and then we'd be back at square one.

Flippin' heck, this ecology stuff is complicated!

HdE

Quote from: House of Usher on 10 January, 2010, 07:50:07 PM
Incredible! Except that I have faith in your integrity, that sounds totally made up. Well done for being there to witness it!

It's 100% truth, I assure ya. I truly felt blessed at having borne witness to such an event - one of a few moments in my life where the urge to burst out in uncontrollable laughter was almost too great to resist!

That's yer wacky Devonian pensioners for you!

I have an acquaintance who used to work in a pet shop. An old geezer doddered in one day and walked up to the counter, where he asked her 'what aisle is the soup in?'

'Soup?' She replied 'I'm afraid this is a pet shop, my love. We don't sell soup.'

The old geezer turned around and left, only pausing at the door to mutter 'You can't buy anything in this town!'
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: M.I.K. on 11 January, 2010, 12:55:35 AM
Actually, an excess of oxygen probably wouldn't be very good for plants.

Wouldn't be very good for us either, because it would make the atmosphere somewhat flammable.

Cheers!

Jim

M.I.K.

That's true. Probably just as well it's mostly made up of hydrogen then.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 10 January, 2010, 11:47:25 PM
Carbon gets released into the atmosphere and taken out again constantly and cyclically. I think the idea is it's not ideal from a human point of view for it all to be released into the atmosphere at the same time.

Obviously if the atmosphere was composed of 50 percent CO2 it wouldnt be good for anything that breathes oxygen but as it is CO2 is what we breathe out and to label what is a natural component of the atmosphere and is essential to plant life as toxic or a poison or a pollutant is idiotic in the extreme.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

M.I.K.

Carbon dioxide can be toxic, as can oxygen if you get too much of it, but if I understand it correctly, that's pretty much irrelevant when it comes to the greenhouse effect anyway because it's the way that it aborbs and emits radiation that's the issue there.

Mikey

Quotewacky Devonian pensioners for you!

Jeebus! They were old...

Quotelabel what is a natural component of the atmosphere and is essential to plant life as toxic or a poison or a pollutant is idiotic in the extreme..

Depends on the context Peter. I have heard or read those stupid comments far too many times.  ;)

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.