Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 11 January, 2010, 12:19:58 PM
CO2 is what we breathe out and to label what is a natural component of the atmosphere and is essential to plant life as toxic or a poison or a pollutant is idiotic in the extreme.

Poo is full of nitrogen. It's essential to plant life. Yet, if you dump too much poo in a river, whether it be the run-off from a cow shed or a sewage works, it pollutes the river and kills the fishies, however much certain river-borne plants may like it. Pollution is defined socially, not scientifically.

If I take a shit in a field, it's fertilizer. If I take a shit in a stream it's pollution. That's what pollution is: it's defined by being in the wrong place.

Mary Douglas gives a thorough anthropological dissection of the problem in Purity and Danger (1966).
STRIKE !!!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: House of Usher on 11 January, 2010, 09:59:35 PM

If I take a shit in a field, it's fertilizer. If I take a shit in a stream it's pollution. That's what pollution is: it's defined by being in the wrong place.

What is it, if you take a shit in someone's mouth?

House of Usher

Quote from: Garageman on 11 January, 2010, 10:06:36 PM

I don't know what that's called, but it's almost certainly pollution! I'm sure Mary Douglas would be able to point to a purification ritual to go with that.

Good luck!
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

wild-seven

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 January, 2010, 08:35:07 PM
"It's been nearly six years since we last asked about your worst vomit, so: Tell us tales of what went in, what came out and where it all went after that."

Question posed by Chthonic at b3ta.com here:  http://b3ta.com/questions/vomit2/

Aaaah, I'm clearly a massive twat! Sorry  :-[ Does this count as a stupid thing that has been said?
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 11 January, 2010, 09:59:35 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 11 January, 2010, 12:19:58 PM
CO2 is what we breathe out and to label what is a natural component of the atmosphere and is essential to plant life as toxic or a poison or a pollutant is idiotic in the extreme.

Poo is full of nitrogen. It's essential to plant life. Yet, if you dump too much poo in a river, whether it be the run-off from a cow shed or a sewage works, it pollutes the river and kills the fishies, however much certain river-borne plants may like it. Pollution is defined socially, not scientifically.

Mary Douglas gives a thorough anthropological dissection of the problem in Purity and Danger (1966).

So it seems that if CO2 is taken out of its natural context its classified as a poison otherwise its not.

Thats simple enough.Increased CO2 levels stimulate plant growth as has frequently been observed.The Carbon Neutral scheme is a good one as carbon levels created by producing something is offset by planting trees because planting trees is a good idea regardless of the CO2 argument/debate.Plant life grew to 3 or 4 times its present size due to higher CO2 levels during various prehistoric periods.

Pollution is defined scientifically as well as socially in terms of industry and human activity if thats what you mean.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Peter Wolf

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 11 January, 2010, 05:28:49 PM
I just don't need some twats living in mansions and flying round the world telling me I should cut down, when they don't!
That Al Gore film was found to have numerous lies in it but look out if you crossed the line and pointed that out. You would be classed as the equal of a Holocaust Denier.

Just seen your post Jim, thanks ;)

What ??

You mean you dont need a load of Lear Jet/Limousine loving Globalist Hypocritical Criminal NWO Filth like George Sore-Ass telling you what you can and cant do in their own inimitable DO as i say - Not as i DO style ??

I dont think i do either.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Al Gore ??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dandontdare

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 January, 2010, 11:49:55 PM
but he makes a damn fine underground city.

I am going to write a strongly worded letter to Tharg regarding John Wagners inclusion of Al Gore in his Judge Dredd script.

I will not sit here idly while my comic and Judge Dredd is besmirched by that name no matter what its context !!

;)

Rog69

I had a tech support call from my Father-in-law a couple of years back, he had bought some re-writeable CD's and couldn't work out how to erase them. I talked him through the process using Nero, and he still said that it didn't work so we ended up going through the process a couple more times but he said that he could still see what he had written on the disc  :-*.
I was starting to scratch my head a bit until he said that he couldn't understand it either as he had used a proper CD pen to write on it  :o.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 January, 2010, 01:24:47 PM
Given that we use long-chain hydrocarbons to make plastics, pharmaceuticals and fertilizer, unless we want to do without computers, medicine and food before the end of this century, would it not be sensible to stop burning the fucking things?
That ought to be on a t-shirt at the next G8 conference.  If it isn't there's clearly nobody with an eye for a slogan in the enviromentalist camp.  Good points, Jim.

Quote from: House of Usher on 11 January, 2010, 10:08:48 PM
Quote from: Garageman on 11 January, 2010, 10:06:36 PM
I don't know what that's called, but it's almost certainly pollution! I'm sure Mary Douglas would be able to point to a purification ritual to go with that.
That's what I was gonna say!  Aw.....

Sorry for dragging us back off topic.  Incidentally, I love this thread.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Funt Solo

Manager at a hotel [shouting incredulously]: "You treat this place like a hotel!"

---

Me: "Oh, the firework displays are synchronized".
Stranger: "Aye, and they're going off at the same time as well".

---

Teacher: "Don't you believe in God?"

---

Irish man: "So, how do the Scottish feel about the English?"

Yes, all Scottish (whatever that means) people feel exactly the same way about all English (whatever that means) people.

---

Woman in shop: "This may sound crazy but I was Scottish in a previous life."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

HdE

Just visited a comics forum where one of the newbies weighed in - not for the first time - with his scathingly negative opinions of a book he admits he hasn't even read.

The same forum was also recently graced with a post that emphatically stated that 'some opinions are right, and some opinions are wrong'.

Why do we refer to them, then, as opinions, and not as FACTS?

How do we find these people? HOW?!!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

The Legendary Shark

Me, "Good afternoon. I need to buy some carpet."

Assistant, "What's it for?"

Me, "Walking on."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]