Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Goodness - the rapacity for verbosity demonstrated here renders me quiescent in awe - to the very point of osequity, in fact!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Peter Wolf

"Snow is not temperature"

What the idiot that said this to me was saying was more snow is not indicative of cooling and that warming of the climate = MORE snow.

I said to them that they could conduct their own experiment that proves that snow is dependent on colder/freezing temperatures and is frozen water.Just fill up a bowl of water and place it in a working freezer and some time later it will have frozen then take it out of the freezer and place next to a heat source and it will melt.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mikey

Um, could he be referring to more evaporation=more precipitation? Warm, wet air mass meets cold dry one etc

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

QuoteJust fill up a bowl of water and place it in a working freezer and some time later it will have frozen then take it out of the freezer and place next to a heat source and it will melt.

As Ben Goldacre would say, I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.  Snowfall only occurs between specific temperature bands and humidity levels, and more specifically in connection with particular airflow patterns.  It's quite possible for an increase in temperature and/or humidity to increase snowfall, and equally for a drop to result in less.  

Interesting to note the news about massively increased snowfall in Antarctica over the last few decades possibly correlating with the long term drought in southern Australia.  

Mikey

...and it follows that it can actually be too cold to snow...

M.

vzzbux

'This is the rain that gets you wet'
Said my mate the other day.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Mike Gloady

I guess some folks get turned on by the strangest things, eh?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Goatilocks

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 02 March, 2010, 09:36:16 PM
What the idiot that said this to me was saying was more snow is not indicative of cooling and that warming of the climate = MORE snow.

You really haven't looked into this very much, have you? One of the hypothesised effects of warming in the oceans is disruption of the Atlantic Conveyor, which gives rise to the Gulf Stream and is the reason why we have quite a temperate climate given our latitude.

Loss of the Gulf Stream would give us a climate much more like Canada -- Calgary is on the same latitude as London. Warsaw and Kiev are within one degree. So, it's not really as far-fetched as it sounds that an effect of global warming might be a substantial cooling in the UK.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Tiplodocus

Yeah - I've seen THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.  And if you keep using fossil fuels, you will be chased down a corridor by cold air.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mikey on 02 March, 2010, 09:40:54 PM
Um, could he be referring to more evaporation=more precipitation? Warm, wet air mass meets cold dry one etc

M.

It was something along those lines [correct in itself] but i didnt bother to cut and paste the entire comment.The comment was also pointing out that snow is precipitation which is perfectly obvious.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 March, 2010, 10:11:28 PM

You really haven't looked into this very much, have you? One of the hypothesised effects of warming in the oceans is disruption of the Atlantic Conveyor, which gives rise to the Gulf Stream and is the reason why we have quite a temperate climate given our latitude.

Loss of the Gulf Stream would give us a climate much more like Canada -- Calgary is on the same latitude as London. Warsaw and Kiev are within one degree. So, it's not really as far-fetched as it sounds that an effect of global warming might be a substantial cooling in the UK.

Cheers

Jim

Oh yes i have but i am not disagreeing with your comment otherwise.
[except i would have used the term "climate change" instead of "Global warming" but lets not go there.]

The idiot i am talking about would still not admit that in our neck of the woods and the US amongst many others has been significantly colder with more snow and instead was trying to assert that this last winter here and in the US was one of the warmest.Even the MET office say that this last winter in the UK has been the coldest for 30 yrs.

This was the context of my comment.

T

Quote from: Mikey on 02 March, 2010, 09:51:56 PM
...and it follows that it can actually be too cold to snow...

M.

True.

"Climate deniers"   :lol:

Who denies that there is a climate ?

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mikey

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 02 March, 2010, 11:12:49 PM

...was trying to assert that this last winter here and in the US was one of the warmest.Even the MET office say that this last winter in the UK has been the coldest for 30 yrs.

This was the context of my comment.

Well you didn't say that did you?

AFAIR the whole shutting down of North Atlantic Deep Water formation isn't a real concern currently - although as Jim said it's a possibilty and evidence indicates it has happened in the past - the wonderfully named Heinrich events and the Younger Dryas cold snap.

M.

TordelBack

Quote"Climate deniers"

The tendency for ladies to wear thinner stockings in warmer countries?

The Younger Dryas (or the Nahanagan stadial in my part of the world) is a truly scary event.  If you're ever lucky enough to visit lovely Lough Bray Lower in the Wicklow mountains, just above Glencree valley and below the plateau of the Sally Gap, you can walk along the morraine from where a glacier reformed in a corrie that at that point had been a lake for 10,000 years and scoured and pushed all the rock at its base into a huge mound that retains the present lake.  On a wider front the rapid onset of associated drought conditions in the Near East are often seen as the push that tipped human societies into relying on agriculture, which turned out to be pretty much a one-way trip.  Such a tiny blip in the scale of things, but monumental in its effects.  Bastard hunter-gatherers and their SUVs.