Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2010, 12:17:52 PM
The Younger Dryas (or the Nahanagan stadial in my part of the world) is a truly scary event.

You got that right - on such things the world is made indeed.

QuoteIf you're ever lucky enough to visit lovely Lough Bray Lower in the Wicklow mountains, just above Glencree valley and below the plateau of the Sally Gap, you can walk along the morraine from where a glacier reformed in a corrie that at that point had been a lake for 10,000 years and scoured and pushed all the rock at its base into a huge mound that retains the present lake.

I take it the dam is stable? :o I've never spent any time in the Wicklow Hills, much to my shame...

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mikey on 03 March, 2010, 11:06:30 AM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 02 March, 2010, 11:12:49 PM

...was trying to assert that this last winter here and in the US was one of the warmest.Even the MET office say that this last winter in the UK has been the coldest for 30 yrs.

This was the context of my comment.

Well you didn't say that did you?

Yes i realised that when i posted my second comment

AFAIR the whole shutting down of North Atlantic Deep Water formation isn't a real concern currently - although as Jim said it's a possibilty and evidence indicates it has happened in the past - the wonderfully named Heinrich events and the Younger Dryas cold snap.

M.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/02/04/january-uah-global-temperature-warmest/

I recommend the above website and the above article is about January being the warmest on record.

Yes i realised that when i posted my second comment.I wasnt really thinking about what i was saying because i was still stressed because of the parking ticket fiasco.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

HdE

Well, a new personal best was set today in the 'something stupid somebody said to HdE' stakes.

Specifically, the comment was 'Oi! What the f*** are YOU lookin' at?!!' screeched at me (and several other bystanders) from across the road as some piece of living excrement was beating the living daylights out of his teenage girlfriend.

I just turned a corner in my town, and there it was, all going on in front of a small band of intimidated onlookers. Thankfully the police arrived and dealt with the situation promptly.

I would have thought it was OBVIOUS what I and everyone else was looking at. A degenerate.

Sometimes people make me sick.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mike Gloady

My instinctive reaction would have been to answer "a complete CWORD" and tear his face off. 

I can't not get involved with that sort of thing if it happens in front of me.  Good to know the cops showed up, but sadly the silly mare probably won't press charges.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

HdE

I'll admit my first reaction was to wade in and smack the little turd into next week. If a bystander hadn't told me the police were already on their way, I may just have.

Thing is with those situations, you never know the full story. I mean, was the attack unprovoked? What were the circumstances leading up to it? was the guy justifiably angry about something, and just expressing it in completely the wrong way?

Alternatively, was everything exactly as it seemed at first glance - some waste-of-space chav tearing strips out of his completely innocent girlfriend? You could literally go mad thinking about it.

Peter Wolf

Overheard today on one of those daytime smug - irritating and nondescript couple search for a new home programmes:

"4 bedrooms inside the property".This was said 3 or 4 times by one of the faceless presenters.

Where the fuck else are they going to be ?

House of Usher

Today, in pitch darkness during a performance of The Rocky Horror Show, by a theatre usher, "you're not allowed to take pictures."

Reply: "We don't have a camera. And I really don't think you should be talking to patrons during a performance. I'm trying to watch a show. You're being disrespectful to the audience and disrespectful to the performers."
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

This is my favourite thread.

And:  they have ushers at the Rocky Horror now?  Oh Brave New World!  (tries not to visualise our very own Usher in suspenders)

johnnystress

My girlfriend's workmate...

*Did you hear the Queen Mother has Alzheimer's?

^Isn't she dead?

*No, but she's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease

(a bit more arguing)

^Do you mean Margaret Thatcher?

*Yes, The Queen Mother

staticgirl

HdE

Yeah. Kinda reminded me of that Family Guy where Peter walks into the KFC and asks to speak to the Colonel.

I, Cosh

Not something that's actually been said to me but Spotify just reminded me of this: "Verbal masturbation in their guarded bureaucratic wombs."

I like a bit of Marillion as much as the next man, but that line's been reducing me and my mates to fits of giggles since we were about fourteen.
We never really die.

Mike Gloady

Why have I never listened to Marillion before?  Apart from disliking everything I've heard, I mean?  WHY?

With lyrics like that they ought to be compulsory listening.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

HdE

Marillion are great!

That line comes from 'Forgotten Sons' from their debut album 'Script For A Jester's Tear' - which is actually quite a fun album. Nicely '1980s' and bonkers with it!

People who don't dig Steve Rothery's guitar skills leave me astounded and full of feelings of pity for them. :(

Peter Wolf

Not a massive fan of Marillion but i quite like Clutching At Straws which i have been listening to on Youtube

This garbage was brought to my attention today and it fits the remit of the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIAFHjL3ZMg&feature=player_embedded