Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 10 March, 2010, 11:40:33 AM
Not a massive fan of Marillion but i quite like Clutching At Straws which i have been listening to on Youtube

I think 'Clutching' is their best album by a comfortable distance -- shorn of most of the pompous excess and a great deal of the pretensions that dragged down their earlier work, it gets in there and just delivers a collection of damn fine songs. I thought it was an album that promised future greatness ... so, of course, Fish left.

This garbage was brought to my attention today and it fits the remit of the thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIAFHjL3ZMg&feature=player_embedded

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 March, 2010, 11:52:43 AM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 10 March, 2010, 11:40:33 AM
Not a massive fan of Marillion but i quite like Clutching At Straws which i have been listening to on Youtube

I think 'Clutching' is their best album by a comfortable distance -- shorn of most of the pompous excess and a great deal of the pretensions that dragged down their earlier work, it gets in there and just delivers a collection of damn fine songs. I thought it was an album that promised future greatness ... so, of course, Fish left.

This garbage was brought to my attention today and it fits the remit of the thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIAFHjL3ZMg&feature=player_embedded

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Jim

My thoughts exactly.

And

My thoughts exactly.

Great vocalist was Fish.I wasnt too mad on their earlier more Prog rock influenced style.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

I, Cosh

Decent singer, dreadful lyricist, big lad.

Last night's trip down memory lane confirmed that Fugazi was my favourite album, although I didn't get as far as Clutching at Straws which I remember listening to a terrible copy of in my Walkman.
We never really die.

HdE

Gnng... Fugazi sends me to sleep.

Clutching at Straws is an absolute powerhouse album! Always did love 'Torch Song' and the opening medley.

After clicking the YouTube link, I'm now convinced everyone in my county is a terrorist.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Dandontdare

Marillion was one of my first ever gigs, at Lancaster Uni on the Fugazi tour. It was my first that wasn't all seated or in a field. Got right down the front - had no idea before then  that being jostled around by hundreds of sweaty people while your ears almost bleed could be so much fun.

Lost interest in them not long after, as my tastes moved away from prog towards the Clash, Dylan and reggae

SuperSurfer

Not to me, but woman in front of me being served in sandwich place yesterday, when asked by member of staff if she wants a bag:

"What, to carry it in?"

Banners

TordelBack

Three older teenagers on the bus this evening spent 5 minutes arguing over whether you see lightning before or after thunder.  I had to stick my fingers in my ears and hum after a while, so I missed the resolution.

HdE

This one's frikkin' fantastic!

My old man was telling me about two youngsters I know. One is the daughter of a pig ignorant twat while the other is your typical vacant pretty-boy. Apparently, they just decided they'd start going out.

He'd asked the girl how they were getting on.

'Oh, really well,' She had said ' We've got so much in common. It's like we click on every level. Because we both work in finance, and we both like The X Factor.'

I wish them a blissfully happy lifetime of wedded bliss.

And compulsory sterilization!

House of Usher

Quote from: HdE on 22 March, 2010, 11:31:45 PM
Because we both work in finance, and we both like The X Factor

Yep, that's got every level covered, I reckon. I can't think of anything they've left out!
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: HdE on 22 March, 2010, 11:31:45 PM

He'd asked the girl how they were getting on.

'Oh, really well,' She had said ' We've got so much in common. It's like we click on every level. Because we both work in finance, and we both like The X Factor.'

I wish them a blissfully happy lifetime of wedded bliss.

And compulsory sterilization!

I wish them a blissfully happy lifetime of ignorance.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

worldshown

I can't believe I missed all the Marillion stuff two weeks ago.

Wavy lines time...

Back in the mid 90s when I was a student and was also involved in hospital radio, Fish did a series of short gigs and signings in HMV to promote a single ("Fortunes of War", I think). Having nothing better to do when he played Cardiff, I went to see him there and bumped into a friend from the radio station. Ian had brought his state-of-the-art Walkman with him hidden between his jacket and green-and-white striped T-shirt to record the gig, which considering Fish's stance on bootleggers was a bit of a risk.

So, a few minutes later, Fish and his band come out into the shop and start tuning up. Ian clumsily reaches into his jacket to start the Walkman. Fish sees him fidgeting and walks straight up to him, towering over him by a good twelve inches. Ian starts shitting himself. I start shitting myself through guilt by association. After a few seconds silence, Fish says "Och, I thought you were wearing a Celtic top. You could stand at the back if you were."

When I saw Ian later at the studio he admitted that he had panicked and pressed record and pause at the same time thus recording nothing.

I do have another story about Fish taking the piss out of Marillion's "Brave" album at a soundcheck in Newport, but I'll save that for another occasion.

Mike Gloady

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

wild-seven

annoying loud chav slapper with pink phone on the bus

"She's WELL fat, she looks like she's 10 moths pregnant"

*pause*

"What? Really? Whoops!"
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

HdE

Here's one I NEVER get tired of repeating.

Went to a student party years ago, and overheard some pillock mouthing off thus:

'No, no. The problem in Ethiopia ISN'T famine. It's EDUCATION. Yah. There's PLENTY of food. It's just that nobody out there knows how to cook it.'

Now do you see why I hate students? ;)