Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I have a "friend". He did a law degree and in January to May of his fourth year I he had a single lecture in a week: 10am to 12noon on a Tuesday and that was it.

The idea was that he would be in the library all the time, not playing C&C:Red Alert.

Lock up your spoons!

Mike Gloady

Tordelback, you've got me pegged EXACTLY right.  Phew.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Mikey

Mrs Mikey is doing research at the minute and doing some teaching too. She was advised not to give the students assignments as 'it's very hard on them', and not to expect them to turn up for marked course related seminars.  One joker wanted to swap groups because the seminar was at 10:00 and 'that's a bit early for me'!I shit you not.

Most of the students aren't interested in the slightest - same as most of my friends who went to Uni while I worked full time and studied part time. But they to a man were from more comfortable backgrounds than me and had parents who could support them - I didn't.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mike Gloady

Same here, Mikey.  I was the first person in my entire family to go to uni - my dad didn't even notch up more than a year in SCHOOL for Cod's sake (there was ploughing to be done and one of the Christian Brothers hit his little brother so he decked him and never went back).  My folks had bugger all so if I was going to make it I had to support myself AND prove to my mum (my dad had died by this point) that I wasn't making a mistake in not staying in full-time (and reasonably well-paid) work.

TordelBack

Hmm, I wonder is there a pattern here - I was the first person in my family too, and while my parents were keen that I would go to college they hoped I'd do something employable, like law or accountancy, whereas I just wanted to get away from education as fast as I could.  When I conspicuously failed to get into college anyway, got a crap job, and then after six months announced I was going to re-sit my exams and do archaeology of all esoteric things, they required a lot of convincing.  About three years' worth in fact.

Mikey

I've just read over my post and it sounds a bit 'I went to the university of life' - it wasn't meant to! (I'm the first in my family to have a degree too.)

To drag this back towards topic and in consideration of MG and TB, I get this variations of this quite a lot;

'Oh, you're a geologist?. I love Time Team and all that!'

sigh

M.

Mike Gloady

Wow.  That's a good one.

Most people look blankly at you when you try to give them the pop culture reference of Time Team and I'm invariably forced to mention Ms Croft & Mr Jones (ie something that bears NO resemblance to the actual field).  Of course, it's a good way to winnow out idiots.

Mike Carroll

Just had a phone conversation with one of those annoying people of the sort who still think it's funny to make jokes about the quality of airline food. He was greatly amusing only himself as he kept going on about how cold the winter had been: "I mean, you'd think with all this global warming", etc.

Eventually I was able to get him to shut up long enough for me to point out that, yes, the winter was cold, but that doesn't mean that global warming is a myth. First, it's more properly known as "climate change", and, second, the key word in "global warming" is not "warming."

I doubt I'll ever get through to him, though. This is a guy who genuinely believes that the world's oil supplies will never run out because "plants and things keep dying and making more oil." (The logical response of "that takes millions of years" doesn't work because, you see, there are millions of plants. Apparently in his head the millions of plants cancels out the millions of years. Therefore: inexhaustible supplies of oil!)

-- Mike

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Peter Wolf

Peter Wolf Reply:
March 24th, 2010 at 7:42 pm

You should not drink distilled water as it is mineral free and will therefore extract minerals from your body and cause mineral deficiencies and lead to further ill health.

Better off using a carbon block filter as this will extract chemicals and contaminents but not the mineral content.

Reply/stupid comment :

Dragon's Eye Reply:
March 25th, 2010 at 12:12 am

"@"Peter Wolf":

You don't know diddley about water, do you???

That is a tired, worn out old lie from the pharmaceutical companies and the pro-Fluoride groups!!!! Adulterated TAP water, with all the Fluoride and Chlor-Amines will tap far more of the minerals from your body than ordinary, distilled water!!!!

Geez! That's the dumbest thing I've seen on this bulletin all day!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Right! Distilled is sooooo dangerous to you?!?!?!?!?!? ** SARCASM **

GROW UP AND GET SOME FACTS BEFORE MAKING SUCH AN ASSININE STATEMENT AND MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF TOO!!!!"

::)  :lol:

Peter Wolf Reply:
March 25th, 2010 at 5:25 am

WHERE did i say anything about "Adulterated tap water" being better for you than "ordinary distilled water" ?

I didnt.

Neither are healthy in the long term.

What i should have said was distilled water is NOT healthy on a long term basis because it is stripped of its mineral content which is why i suggested filtered water instead as an alternative because carbon filters strip out/absorb all the filth and contaminants WITHOUT stripping the water of its mineral content.

Reverse osmosis filters also strip the mineral content of tap water but it will also remove nitrates etc.

Chlorine will evaporate from a bottle of tap water over 24 hours if its left open but fluoride wont and as far as i know carbon filters are the only way to remove fluoride.

You didnt read my comment properly as there is no way on earth i would say drinking adulterated unfiltered tap water is good for you.

Its even better if you can find a source of clean natural spring water.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mikey

I'm confused...how does distilled water extract minerals from your body? I mean, more than unfiltered water does?

M.

TordelBack

Uh-oh, all this talk of minerals has roused the rockhound.

Roger Godpleton

I barely did any work on my University of London MA and I still passed.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 25 March, 2010, 02:09:41 PM
I barely did any work on my University of London MA and I still passed.

Not surprised when the whole faculty was sleeping with.... Ach, forget it, I haven't the heart for it anymore.