Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Quote from: Cthulouis on 17 April, 2010, 12:37:36 AM
Ah, the Transformers fandom. Giving new meaning to such terms as "Plug and Play", "Interfacing", and "Spark Sex".

Oddly enough, I've never actually seen those terms used on any of the message boards.

But believe me - the debate DOES happen. And regularly. To the point where its merest mention can prompt site moderators to lock down threads and issue site bans. I've seen it happen.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Cthulouis

My girlfriend is into the fandom on livejournal, so maybe it is only they who use these terms.

They have "Views" about Starscream and sex. Or so I've been told.

wild-seven

I was once accused of inventing the concept of Alan Whicker by a chum who just flat out didn't believe he existed (because he'd never heard of him) - I was reminded of this whilst watching Monty Python, I really should stuff that episode up his....+++CARRIER LOST+++
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

HdE

I had a similar experience talking to a guy once about the Land Speed Record.

Apparently, Coniston Water doesn't exist, and it would be silly to call it the Land Speed Record if it involved a body of water.   ::)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: wild-seven on 19 April, 2010, 06:39:02 PM
I was once accused of inventing the concept of Alan Whicker by a chum who just flat out didn't believe he existed (because he'd never heard of him) - I was reminded of this whilst watching Monty Python, I really should stuff that episode up his....+++CARRIER LOST+++

More understandably perhaps, I was met with disbelief when explaining The Mighty Boosh to a couple of Japanese manga artists at HiEx.
They refused to believe I wasn't making it all up... the pink head with tentacles, the talking gorilla, tweed untility suits, slap bass jazz fusion, the Hitcher etc...

uncle fester

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 April, 2010, 10:01:45 AM
They refused to believe I wasn't making it all up... the pink head with tentacles, the talking gorilla, tweed untility suits, slap bass jazz fusion, the Hitcher etc...

When I first saw the Mighty Boosh I thought my own brain was making it up and playing tricks on me. Then the 'Eels' song started...

HdE

Never, EVER mention tentacles to manga artists.

Trust me on this. Please.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: uncle fester on 20 April, 2010, 10:04:20 AM

When I first saw the Mighty Boosh I thought my own brain was making it up and playing tricks on me. Then the 'Eels' song started...

That was my first episode too!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 20 April, 2010, 03:34:30 PM
Quote from: uncle fester on 20 April, 2010, 10:04:20 AM

That was my first episode too!

And mine!

TordelBack

Told this tale before and I daresay I'll tell it again:  

A girl I was in college with insisted that 'cheese' was a brand name (of the Cheese corporation, one presumes), and that the product in its raw unbranded state was called 'cheeze'.  A flourish of the dictionary failed to move her - it was, of course, in error.  She knew, because her father was an English teacher.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 April, 2010, 03:53:04 PM
She knew, because her father was an English teacher.

One with a cruel sense of humour where his idiot daughter was concerned, it would seem ...

Chee(r)s!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

reddevilggg

I want a mirror as a desktop wallpaper, i've tried scanning a mirror, but i didn't work!!!!
Grandfather of Fargo

TordelBack

Quote from: reddevilggg on 22 April, 2010, 03:23:22 PM

I want a mirror as a desktop wallpaper, i've tried scanning a mirror, but i didn't work!!!!

I can see why you'd want that - that guy who's always in the mirror is a veritable Adonis.

HdE

If the guy in my mirror is Adonis, i hate to see what his Venus looks like!