Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

sick of people bugging us at lunchtime (barring emergencies obviously) one of the nurses in our team made a sign saying "press here for attention" and coloured a circle in black...the amount of people who pressed it  :lol:

HdE

That is bloody brilliant!

One of my customers called me up today wanting to cancel my services. They made the obligatory pop 'we just can't wait for you to turn up. the job needs doing. So we've booked someone else.'

That makes me mad, as the reason they haven't seen me is because I need good weather conditions to work in. We've had 3 weeks of dangerous, icy conditions, followed by a sustained period of heavy rain. It's been impossible to work.

I couldn't reseist asking them about the new fella they hired. 'Oh, we haven't seen him yet,' they said 'but then the weather's been so bad I expect he hasn't had an opportunity to get to us.'

Stupid pricks. And I told them so.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

HdE

Tell me a bout it.

I love being self employed. it means I can tell those arseholes EXACTLY what I think of them.

SmallBlueThing

Not said to me directly, but overheard at the graphic novels section of waterstones earlier today.
A young (16ish) girl and a boy who would clearly do anything to get in her knickers were hanging around the manga. She was VERY well spoken.
She: "well, im glad he's been expelled, he deserved it for calling me posh. Im so not posh, i just know how to speak. And anyway, how can i be posh, half of my family are Scottish."
SBT

HdE

With that level of brain power, she surely got humped within an inch of her life mere seconds afterwards.

strontium_dog_90

Not something actually said, but something pinned up in my wall at work: "anyone caught behind the till will be reprimanded, very loudly, on the shop floor, in front of customers." Yep. Fantastic and professional behaviour. This on top of trying to make staff pretty much harass customers and then try to sell them a bunch of rubbish that they don't really want. And they wonder why everyone prefers to do their shopping online these days . . .

vzzbux

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 31 January, 2011, 10:12:19 AM
Not something actually said, but something pinned up in my wall at work: "anyone caught behind the till will be reprimanded, very loudly, on the shop floor, in front of customers." Yep. Fantastic and professional behaviour. This on top of trying to make staff pretty much harass customers and then try to sell them a bunch of rubbish that they don't really want. And they wonder why everyone prefers to do their shopping online these days . . .

I don't think berating staff in front of customers and other staff is allowed anywhere in any workplace. The management could be dragged through hot coals, legally, if not then it is just bad practice. That is why the One to One system was introduced for disciplinaries.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

HdE

Too right.

I've been self employed for so long now, if I went into employment and had to face that kind of crap I reckon I'd murder somebody.

mogzilla

how can you sell stuff if youre not behind the till?

House of Usher

This on top of trying to make staff pretty much harass customers and then try to sell them a bunch of rubbish that they don't really want.

Sounds like WHSmith. And PC World. And Dixons/Currys.
STRIKE !!!

Cthulouis

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: mogzilla on 31 January, 2011, 08:15:07 PM
how can you sell stuff if youre not behind the till?

It's part of their insinuation - they being the permanent members of staff - that any newbie is a lazy moron incapable of doing anything, who will stand around behind the till doing nothing if no customers are about. Pretty offensive, really.

[/quote]

I don't think berating staff in front of customers and other staff is allowed anywhere in any workplace. The management could be dragged through hot coals, legally, if not then it is just bad practice. That is why the One to One system was introduced for disciplinaries.

V
[/quote]

My thoughts, too . . .but when you're a new person at work, what can you do?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: House of Usher on 31 January, 2011, 09:41:07 PM
This on top of trying to make staff pretty much harass customers and then try to sell them a bunch of rubbish that they don't really want.

Sounds like WHSmith. And PC World. And Dixons/Currys.

Games Workshop.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 February, 2011, 09:14:38 AM
Games Workshop.

Ugh, yes.  My son loves board games, and is completely entranced by the battles going on in the GW shop in town.  However, every time we go in I have to put up with non-stop patter from at least one, sometimes three, members of staff.  

Each time I try to stop them before they start, explain that (a). I have played numerous versions of Warhammer since it was just an article at the back of the Citadel catalogue but (b). have no time or money these days and (c). was in here last week, so I need neither an explanation nor an Eldar Warlock Titan today thank you (but I might buy some paints), and my son is four, and while he does love to watch the games and it's got to be giving him an interest for the  not-too-distant future, which is surely good for all concerned, he is not going to be buying the 8th Edition rules right now.  In short, we're just looking.

But on and on it goes, to the point that I now have to be dragged in there.  That's me, complaining bitterly about going into a games shop to watch a wargame with my son.  Not the best marketing result ever.