Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

'Any chance you can quickly knock up an HTML version of the brochure?'

...!

TordelBack

Quote from: Banners on 13 May, 2011, 05:07:55 PM
'Any chance you can quickly knock up an HTML version of the brochure?'

Be even worse if it was wearing full plate.

House of Usher

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 April, 2011, 10:38:32 PM
(Of course, this predates the irony that is the current difficulty of finding a graduate capable of spelling simple words or grasping basic grammar.)

I find it quite perplexing that employers persist in trying to employ recent graduates who can't spell and then moaning about it rather than showing a bit of imagination and recruiting graduates from two decades ago who can (or even more imagination: non-graduates who can spell, because they exist too).

Back on topic:

"Graduates have got all these qualifications on paper but no commonsense." - this from a man who puts up a rota on a Friday night and then rings round on Saturday to ask people why they aren't in work, when he put the rota up on the noticeboard the night before, after they had gone home or when they hadn't been in since Wednesday.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 13 May, 2011, 06:29:54 PM
...showing a bit of imagination and recruiting graduates from two decades ago who can [spell]

Anyone in mind there, Ush?

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Not actually said to me, but...

On 'The One Show,' tonight (*spits*)
- discussion about getting points on your licence for speeding -

Jo Brand: "After I got my rally driver's licence I went a bit mental on the roads."

Welsh Girl: "Brilliant."

Er, no. Not brilliant. Jo Brand wasn't suggesting she'd done anything very clever, just got a bit carried away and briefly irresponsible.
STRIKE !!!

JamesC

Quote from: House of Usher on 18 May, 2011, 07:08:15 PM
Not actually said to me, but...

On 'The One Show,' tonight (*spits*)
- discussion about getting points on your licence for speeding -

Jo Brand: "After I got my rally driver's licence I went a bit mental on the roads."

Welsh Girl: "Brilliant."

Er, no. Not brilliant. Jo Brand wasn't suggesting she'd done anything very clever, just got a bit carried away and briefly irresponsible.

If that Welsh girl ever has to say anything that deviates from her script it's 'brilliant'.

She has no sense whatsoever when interviewing. I like it when she asks someone a question that they've already answered as part of their response to the previous question. It's 'brilliant'.

Dandontdare

My favourite overheard quote from the train to Bristol - dim girl student with that annoying upwards inflexion that makes everything sound like a question:
"We had a rabbit? And it was, like, gay? 'Cos it raped my gerbil to death?

JamesC

Not said to me but whoever said 'Yes' to commissioning 'Life of Riley' - a dogshit sitcom on BBC at the mo.
It seems to be another of these smug middle class shitcoms that the BBC excels in. Its reinforcing the idea that the typical British family is run by a dim witted man who is under the illusion that he has some control while he's actually a foil for the jokes of his hateful 'smart, sassy' wife (who is actually in control of everything) and his vile smart arse children.

Who is this shit aimed at? Divorced single mothers on anti-depressants is my guess.

I think I'll forward this to 'Points of View'.

House of Usher

Quote from: JamesC on 18 May, 2011, 08:47:02 PM
Who is this shit aimed at? Divorced single mothers on anti-depressants is my guess.

Retired people is mine.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

I like the way that JamesC's and Usher's avatars appear to be interacting as if they were contestants on Blankety Blank.  Classes up the joint something fierce.

And yes, the few seconds I saw of Life of Riley were unutterably shite, although I believe the genre of the oblivious impotent father is a venerable one.

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

The Les Dawson version?  Cheap, Joe, cheap.

JOE SOAP

HdE

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 May, 2011, 07:49:14 PM
My favourite overheard quote from the train to Bristol - dim girl student with that annoying upwards inflexion that makes everything sound like a question:
"We had a rabbit? And it was, like, gay? 'Cos it raped my gerbil to death?

That's one of the best posts I ever saw here!

My aunt is visiting at the moment, and she demanded that we watch a DVD tonight. She decided on Iron Man.

Dear. Sweet. Holy. Mother. Of. Mercy. I had to explain FIVE TIMES that Iron Man isn't a robot, he's a guy in a mechanical suit. She just didn't get it. Even when it cuts to Robert Downey Jr. in the suit's interior, she was saying 'Well where is he, then? What's all that computer stuff? What's that got to do with the robot?'

All this from someone who could maybe, JUST maybe pick that stuff up if she didn't gab ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE BLOODY MOVIE!!!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/