Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 September, 2012, 08:20:33 PM
Yeah, it really is a generational thing. I blame 'Mind Your Language'.

I used to work for a local paper in the midlands and part of that was interviewing elderly couples for momentous wedding anniversaries. Once, after finishing an interview with a perfectly pleasant elderly couple, we got chatting about mutual acquaintances at the paper. A name came up and in the politest conversational tone the woman said, "Oh, is she that p**i?"

She must have registered my horrified expression because she qualified that with "Well, we're old" as if it were a valid excuse. Such an odious, nasty little term, that. It changes my opinion of a person completely if I ever hear anyone use it.

Mardroid

A couple of years back working for the Royal Mail over the Christmas period I heard the way a couple of the guy spoke about African co-workers. These were middle aged guys. I suppose it's not that surprising really, but I was, just the same. The guy may have been speaking about new temp workers, but there were plenty of regular working ethnic minorities too!

Oh and earlier this year I heard a lot of shouting outside only hear my Nigerian boss receiving a racist tirade...

I'm sure they're not linked to that particular man (that seemed as much road rage as anything) but I think there's quite a right wing presence in Eltham where I work. I've seen a couple of racist slogans etc, at the bus stop on my way home, including a swastika sticker with "England for whites, blacks go home" or words to that effect. Seeing that symbol I actually felt really annoyed. Didn't many of our grandparents/great grandparents' generation die fighting those guys? Using that sign as a symbol of England is insulting.

Anyway, I did my bit and peeled the sticker off and through it away. Afterwards I wondered if that was the best thing. Maybe ethnic minorities should see it. A heads up to keep an eye out for dodgy characters, if that makes sense.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Mardroid on 19 September, 2012, 12:13:32 AM
I've seen a couple of racist slogans etc, at the bus stop on my way home, including a swastika sticker with "England for whites, blacks go home" or words to that effect. Seeing that symbol I actually felt really annoyed. Didn't many of our grandparents/great grandparents' generation die fighting those guys? Using that sign as a symbol of England is insulting.

I wonder how many of them realise that particular symbol originated in ancient India.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 September, 2012, 01:20:05 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 19 September, 2012, 12:13:32 AM
I've seen a couple of racist slogans etc, at the bus stop on my way home, including a swastika sticker with "England for whites, blacks go home" or words to that effect. Seeing that symbol I actually felt really annoyed. Didn't many of our grandparents/great grandparents' generation die fighting those guys? Using that sign as a symbol of England is insulting.

I wonder how many of them realise that particular symbol originated in ancient India.

I saw a dog in China with a swastika shaved into its side.  Thought it was a Buddhist thing, till I saw the word 'police' (in English) on its other side, then realised the poor creature was a living protest banner.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 18 September, 2012, 07:41:40 PM
Not to me but overheard on bus couple of weeks ago.

Man of Afro-Caribbean origin to white woman: "Are you enjoying the weather? You have a good tan."

Woman: "It's not as good as yours."

:o

To be fair to the woman in question, that might have been banter on her part. Insensitive, perhaps, if she didn't know the guy but not necessarily stupid.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

klute

I once had an interview for a job where a prospective boss turned up dirty trainers and jeans and a shirt barely on his back.
Who then spent the next 45 minutes ignoring my CV and talking to me about how much dope he smoked,his collection of horror films.And then about his antics out on the town the night before our interview.

As a result i turned down the job which turned out to be a stroke of luck as a few months later his business went belly up.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

TordelBack

A reporter on Radio 4 covering the unionist march in Belfast today just informed me that it is a celebration of the Ulster Covenant preventing the introduction of Home Rule in Northern Ireland, and its introduction in the South.  I don't think that'd be much of a cause for celebration so, since exactly the opposite actually happened, and NI had Home Rule from 1920 to 1972 (and arguably until 1999) and the South never did.

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 September, 2012, 06:13:51 PM
A reporter on Radio 4 covering the unionist march in Belfast today just informed me that it is a celebration of the Ulster Covenant preventing the introduction of Home Rule in Northern Ireland, and its introduction in the South.  I don't think that'd be much of a cause for celebration so, since exactly the opposite actually happened, and NI had Home Rule from 1920 to 1972 (and arguably until 1999) and the South never did.

He was probably English and therefore didn't care. ;)

Hoagy

Someone said on here the other day, don't know who. And nothing personal to the poster but I think saying that using comic media in place of a more expensive film media is not okay is pretty stupid.

Both now thrive off each other and for as far as I can see, since film has evolved from moving pictures, it has fed off the visual language of illustrative medium and vice versa.

The thing about comic medium is, it is universal in it's adaptation of and textual ideas and ideologies. So, why shouldn't someone work with the materials they have, to see an idea visualised.

I think the statement, albeit a stoical opinion came over a bit constraining.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

ChickenStu

Many years ago, I got a Nintendo 64 and Goldeneye 007 game off my parents for Christmas. My (devout Christian) Aunt and Uncle came round for dinner that day and my Aunt came upstairs to have a look at it.

I was showing her what you have to do in the game - mainly shoot people. At this point she turned to me and said "Stuart, you do realise that these people had families?"

IT WAS A FUCKING VIDEOGAME.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Albion

At Christmas I was in the Brighton & Hove Albion shop wearing a Brighton & Hove Albion hat and a Brighton & Hove Albion badge and an assistant came up to me and said......

"Do you support Brighton?"  :o
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

radiator

Karl Stephan

I recently had to deal with a receptionist couldn't spell the name of the doctor she's supposedly administrating for. This is the same surgery that effed up my my own name so badly that I've had to re attend on two further occasions for tissue samples, wasting everyone's time.

I'd sooner not have the NHS to be honest.

Richmond Clements

"I've never had a relationship with a Cancer that has lasted."

Richmond Clements

QuoteI'd sooner not have the NHS to be honest.

Really? Really? I don't think you've thought that through...