Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 September, 2012, 06:13:51 PM
A reporter on Radio 4 covering the unionist march in Belfast today just informed me that it is a celebration of the Ulster Covenant preventing the introduction of Home Rule in Northern Ireland, and its introduction in the South.  I don't think that'd be much of a cause for celebration so, since exactly the opposite actually happened, and NI had Home Rule from 1920 to 1972 (and arguably until 1999) and the South never did.

To be fair, "Home Rule" as campaigned for in the late 19th and early 20th century meant devolved self-government of Ireland as a whole, which would have left northern Protestants as a minority in a majority Catholic country. That's what the Ulster Covenant was opposed to, and it didn't happen. So the report was only slightly confused.

MercZ

"That seems like a waste of money"

A friend of mine complaining that 2000 AD's digital subscription rates are too high. Not that he doesn't have the money, he still holds a subscription to some MMO, but still...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: MercZ on 16 February, 2013, 08:29:23 PM

A friend of mine complaining that 2000 AD's digital subscription rates are too high. Not that he doesn't have the money, he still holds a subscription to some MMO, but still...

Grrr... 'as a writer' this one annoys me a great deal. I mean, yes, digital should be a wee bit cheaper, but the writers and artists do still need to get paid...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 February, 2013, 08:48:39 PM

Grrr... 'as a writer' this one annoys me a great deal. I mean, yes, digital should be a wee bit cheaper, but the writers and artists do still need to get paid...
And the most populare response on any Jeremy Kyle episode will be "Get a proper job!*". Bastards.

*This one pisses me off no end, define 'proper job'.

Link Prime

Was away last week, so almost missed my Toothy fix.
Just got a text from My Mother declaring that she got me "last weeks 200AD".
Ah Mam... :-*

Emp

In work today I overheard the ultimate in management talk bollocks.

"We need to manage our own shadow..."   ::)

What the fuck does this even mean?

von Boom

Sounds like arse covering double-speak to me.

Link Prime

Quote from: Emp on 21 February, 2013, 09:22:59 PM
In work today I overheard the ultimate in management talk bollocks.

"We need to manage our own shadow..."   ::)

What the fuck does this even mean?

In the fictional world of 'Locke & Key', a cautionary warning.
In the real world- absolute bolicks.

Tombo

nah, surely it just means they need better lighting in the work place.

Tjm86

Standing at a check in desk at Brize Norton many moons ago, next to a scale, stood behind a desk with a large computer, with a large board listing flights and piles of baggage behind me.  Hanging from the ceiling above me a large sign saying "Check In".  Passenger walks up to the desk and says "Is this where I check in?" 

Came within a hairs breadth of sending the aforementioned passenger to talk to the lass serving tea over at the NAAFI stand!

Buttonman

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 February, 2013, 08:48:39 PM

Of course they do but the savings made on paper, ink, printing, distrobution and the shop's take (50%?) should make it a lot cheaper than 'a wee bit'. If they made the digital prog a quid sales would soar and that would have obvious knock on benefits for merchandise and advertising. Will always get me my paper Prog however.

Professor Bear

Digital publishers take 50 percent of the profit, usually - for basically hosting a file the same way Photobucket or Zippyshare do for free, only they host a fraction of the amount of files the free sites do.

Molch-R

Quote from: Buttonman on 01 March, 2013, 06:46:10 PM
If they made the digital prog a quid sales would soar

And bankrupt the comic in about three weeks. As I've explained elsewhere, the physical artefact is actually the cheapest part of any Prog, you're paying for artists, writers, letterers, colourists, editorial, dev work, tech support, hosting, PR etc.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Molch-R