Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKD

While picking litter the other day (I'm a Street Cleansing Operative, a Litter Picker, or if you prefer, Womble.) a member of the public came up to me and said "You've got a thankless job..." Well, say thankyou then! I thought to myself, it wouldn't be bloody thankless then would it.
Another favourite is "You've got a job for life picking up all the rubbish around here." This one especially makes me smile as we have been asked for volunteers for redundancy. Good old government cuts.

Stew.

Richmond Clements

SKD - used to do that very job myself - bloody loved it! Apart from the public, of course...

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 March, 2013, 09:32:51 PM
SKD - used to do that very job myself - bloody loved it! Apart from the public, of course...

Me and all.  Then I foolishly moved into the more lucrative world of public toilet cleaning. Then furniture moving and groundskeeping.  Then retail footfall survey.  Then canteen skivvying (best job I ever had, still miss it: free nosh and interesting conversation, and occasional responsibilty for thickening (add flour) and thinning (add water) the sauces).  The one constant was the unfathomable wit of the public.  What a shower of wankers.

SKD

Yes, 'tis a great job (apart from the public) My only gripe is nobody notices the litter you pick, only the litter you haven't got round to picking. :D

'The more lucrative world of public toilet cleaning'  :lol:  Now there's a sentence I wasn't expecting to read TordelBack.

It's nice to know that there are fellow (former) Wombles on the forum.

Stew.

Spikes

Not actually said to me, but still..
In light of the recent events surrounding Cardinal O'Brien, on Radio 2 today the topic for discussion was 'are some vehemently anti-gay people perhaps themselves secretly gay?', a certain macho caller from Brighton - who finds gay people digusting, who likes looking at all women, who has fathered six children, said and then repeated again ' i dont want all things gay rammed down my throat'.

Vanessa Feltz said something later on about those that protest the loudest...

Richmond Clements

Quotenobody notices the litter you pick, only the litter you haven't got round to picking.

y'got that right.

qtwerk

Quote from: SKD on 02 March, 2013, 02:27:57 PM
Yes, 'tis a great job (apart from the public) My only gripe is nobody notices the litter you pick, only the litter you haven't got round to picking. :D

'The more lucrative world of public toilet cleaning'  :lol:  Now there's a sentence I wasn't expecting to read TordelBack.

It's nice to know that there are fellow (former) Wombles on the forum.

Stew.

My brother worked as a bin man after graduating. Summer in Toxteth on the bins. He loved it.

Does that count as a Womble?

SuperSurfer

Not to me but to someone I sometimes work with.

"Should we be using semicolons? Will people understand what they mean?"

opaque

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 March, 2013, 08:36:32 PM
As I've explained elsewhere, the physical artefact is actually the cheapest part of any Prog, you're paying for artists, writers, letterers, colourists, editorial, dev work, tech support, hosting, PR etc.

Which in the book world never really used to be mentioned to the public, instead it was all cost of printing, hardback costs over paperback etc. so when digital started people were only going by what they were told were the reasons behind the high costs. Even if they were inaccurate it was an easier thing to say to people and they would 'understand', noone ever realises what work actually goes into producing something, whether it be a comic or a book.

But then other things go the other way. Open Access publications with mainstream publishers now, oh we're losing lots of money from you keeping your copyright (that you used to give us for free) and editorial work (a big chunk often done for free by scientists, not to mention peer review) means we now have to charge you $4000 to publish a 3 page article.

Plus VAT, always interesting people don't realise digital products attract VAT.

Colin Zeal

More silly business talk at a meeting today. Rather than ask me to move to a different table, my manager said "can you migrate to that table over there?" Utterly stupid way of phrasing it.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 07 March, 2013, 03:49:57 PM
More silly business talk at a meeting today. Rather than ask me to move to a different table, my manager said "can you migrate to that table over there?" Utterly stupid way of phrasing it.

Should have told him yes, but you had to wait until autumn.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 March, 2013, 03:57:34 PM
Quote from: Colin Zeal on 07 March, 2013, 03:49:57 PM

Should have told him yes, but you had to wait until autumn.

Arf!  He's not going to like it when Colin treats his new habitat as a breeding ground.

Spikes

Quote from: SKD on 01 March, 2013, 09:22:50 PM
While picking litter the other day (I'm a Street Cleansing Operative, a Litter Picker, or if you prefer, Womble.) a member of the public came up to me and said "You've got a thankless job..." Well, say thankyou then! I thought to myself, it wouldn't be bloody thankless then would it.
Another favourite is "You've got a job for life picking up all the rubbish around here." This one especially makes me smile as we have been asked for volunteers for redundancy. Good old government cuts.

Stew.

How'd i miss this post? Im a council man myself, more grounds work, but we all have to chip in where needed.
And yes, ive heard all the "job for life" and "thankless job" comments a million times along with the usual abuse that people seem to think is OK to shout at someone, as long as their a council worker.

Remind me again what Sid Vicious said about the man in the street....

Spikes

Stupid? Plain daft? Personally i think both examples are kinda sweet, in a funny sort of way..

Said by a workmate;
1.) Whats the big deal with all this Pope business then? I dont think ive ever met a Catholic before, do people still go in for all of that? I mean, there's not that many of them about, is there?

Which reminds me of;

Said to a former workmate, when he lived in Northern Ireland for a while;
2.) Do the English actually believe in God then?

JamesC