Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

One of the girls at work left today, allowing everyone to reminisce about the time she handed a retired couple a form to sign, on which she had listed their occupations as retarded. During a phone conversation, she asked a woman "is your husband married?"

SuperSurfer

Not to me but to a friend, who I got a lift from yesterday. After having children about 25 years ago she suddenly became such a nervous driver she went to see her doctor. As she was not keen on taking medication the doctor recommended that she started smoking to calm her nerves. According to Doctor ****wit five cigarettes a day are fine. So thanks to that idiot, she has been a smoker since then (and smokes about 10-20 a day). Not only could she damage her health but she also runs the risk of crashing her car while she has the distraction of lighting up and smoking fags while driving. Nice one. 

HdE

What in the actual--?

That's right up there with Newspaper Agony Aunt X advising people to have an affair!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

ChickenStu

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 16 March, 2013, 03:39:31 PM
Not to me but to a friend, who I got a lift from yesterday. After having children about 25 years ago she suddenly became such a nervous driver she went to see her doctor. As she was not keen on taking medication the doctor recommended that she started smoking to calm her nerves. According to Doctor ****wit five cigarettes a day are fine. So thanks to that idiot, she has been a smoker since then (and smokes about 10-20 a day). Not only could she damage her health but she also runs the risk of crashing her car while she has the distraction of lighting up and smoking fags while driving. Nice one.

:o

NO SHIT!?!?

Call me old fashioned - but shouldn't a doctor be struck off for giving dumb advice like that?
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

COMMANDO FORCES

As far as I'm concerned this should dwell within this thread!

As I was down the town with Sam earlier and talking via my mobile to another forum member, I saw a 'homeless' person in a shop doorway and the only reason he didn't ask me for money was because he was on his mobile phone and from the angle I was at, I could see it was an iphone.
On the way back past him, he did ask for money and his phone was out of sight. I told him to ring his mate on his phone for a few quid!

Link Prime

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 17 March, 2013, 12:26:39 AM
As far as I'm concerned this should dwell within this thread!

As I was down the town with Sam earlier and talking via my mobile to another forum member, I saw a 'homeless' person in a shop doorway and the only reason he didn't ask me for money was because he was on his mobile phone and from the angle I was at, I could see it was an iphone.
On the way back past him, he did ask for money and his phone was out of sight. I told him to ring his mate on his phone for a few quid!

Was probably an iPhone 4S CF, sure who'd be seen dead with that tat these days?  ;)

Hawkmumbler

CrazyFoxMachine

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 20 March, 2013, 11:39:43 AM
dm;dr

=

"Daily Mail, didn't read"
Oh,I usualy don't. But...they can't fabricate this. This guy is a vile creature.

The Doctor Alt 8

Mother: " That picture ( the one I use as my Avatar... Drawn by Carlos but you guys all know that ) you showed me looks nothing like you... And is ugly."

WHAT? No one else thinks that... Every one else I have asked confirms that it is a good likeness... Is she mad?

staticgirl

It's not ugly at all but maybe she sees you as a paragon of angelic beauty that no earthly artist could capture. She's your mum.

Emp

More office speak twaddle......

Blue sky ideas and windowless basement ideas..................these came in an email, one that I immediately stopped reading on seeing the above phrases.

Mardroid

This isn't really a stupid thing to say because a) the girl in question isn't stupid at all and b) not knowing stuff isn't inherently stupid. We all have gaps in our knowledge after all. Massive in my case. Try telling me about famous football players or even the current crop of famous pops stars and there's a good chance I'll never have heard of them.

Anyway, I happened to mention the actor Christopher Lee to a work colleague the other day.

She looks at me, a genuinely puzzled frown on her face.
"Who?"

She'd genuinely never heard of him. Okay, she is very young (24 I think) and she isn't a horror fan but I'll admit to thinking "Really!?" (I know mixing exclamation marks with question marks can be annoying but I think it's applicable in this case.)

She has seen the Lord of the Rings films however, but even then she wasn't sure who I was talking about. (I.e. when I said 'evil wizard' I wasn't referring to the the Big Eye.)

I reiterate, she isn't thick at all. In fact she is quite a bright girl, but it is interesting to see the gaps in people's knowledge. Although as I said at the start, I have those gaps as well.

opaque

Someone who is that age was only born around 1990. Then they have to grow up, so say 10 years. The world since 2000 is not one that would have had a lot of what you or I have seen in the last 30 odd years.
It is amazing how little anyone born in the last 25 years actually knows about compared to 'us' :P

It's very obvious when you spend a lot of time with younger people.
They really don't know what the hell you are talking about!