Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

staticgirl

My school completely skipped the world wars in history GCSE lessons. If you weren't interested you could easily have gone on blissfully unaware of the events and causes and that was the 1980s. The schools picking and choosing what to teach was one of the problems the national curriculum was supposed to cure. *hollow laughter*

opaque

It is the interest bit isn't it. Thing is people think if the schools don't teach it it can't be important. I blame the parents.
I'd say most of the things I learnt through my education was in addition to my schoolwork. I read books, I took an interest in the world around me, later on I watched documentaries, read newspapers, watched the news.  I did that all on my own but my parents had instilled the reading bug in me from an early age.
The librarianship thing was all me years later :P

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: opaque on 26 March, 2013, 12:01:22 PM
It is the interest bit isn't it. Thing is people think if the schools don't teach it it can't be important. I blame the parents.
I'd say most of the things I learnt through my education was in addition to my schoolwork. I read books, I took an interest in the world around me, later on I watched documentaries, read newspapers, watched the news.  I did that all on my own but my parents had instilled the reading bug in me from an early age.

Yeah, good point.  My colleagues continually ask me 'how do you know that?!?' and my answer almost always is 'I read it in a book.'

staticgirl

Indeed so. I think sparking the interest wins the battle because most people will self direct their learning if they are motivated enough. I had similar encouragement from my parents, the local librarians and some really great teachers. It's so easy to get hold of information (good or bad) now too. I am having the best time of my life in terms of feeding my head.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 26 March, 2013, 12:10:37 PM
Quote from: opaque on 26 March, 2013, 12:01:22 PM

Yeah, good point.  My colleagues continually ask me 'how do you know that?!?' and my answer almost always is 'I read it in a book.'

I read a book once. It were green.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 26 March, 2013, 01:21:06 PMI read a book once. It were green.

You read the political philosophy of Colonel Gaddaffi? Wow.  :lol:

[According to Wikipedia there's loads of serious books just called The Green Book, which I never knew]

A.Cow

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 26 March, 2013, 01:21:06 PM
I read a book once. It were green.

A friend studying at Nottingham University once told me that their library introduced a system which allowed you to search for books by colour, because so many students went in saying "Well I took it out last year and it was dark red..."

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: staticgirl on 22 March, 2013, 11:49:28 AM
It's not ugly at all but maybe she sees you as a paragon of angelic beauty that no earthly artist could capture. She's your mum.

Ahh if that was only true.

But like myself mother is under no illusion about my lack of physical attractivness.

Why else do I on;y get hit on by the drunk or the ... hard of thinking?

HdE

This one never gets old:

Family are visiting, and wanted to know what I've been up to for the last three months that has kept me so occupied.

"I've been drawing my graphic novel," I explained to them, knowing full well what the reaction would be.

BUT NO! To my shock and awe, they expressed interest!

"Have you finished pages yet?" they asked.

So I retreived the 7 painstakingly pencilled, corrected and inked pages I had in my miniscule workspace, and handed them over for inspection.

"Wow, this is rubbish" they declared. "There aren't even any words on it!"

BECAUSE THEY'RE ART PAGES, YOU CRETINS! NYAAAAAAARGGGH!!!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

darnmarr

My Dad asked me what do they put in food that makes it organic.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: HdE on 27 March, 2013, 06:57:25 PM
This one never gets old:

Family are visiting, and wanted to know what I've been up to for the last three months that has kept me so occupied.

"I've been drawing my graphic novel," I explained to them, knowing full well what the reaction would be.

BUT NO! To my shock and awe, they expressed interest!

"Have you finished pages yet?" they asked.

So I retreived the 7 painstakingly pencilled, corrected and inked pages I had in my miniscule workspace, and handed them over for inspection.

"Wow, this is rubbish" they declared. "There aren't even any words on it!"

BECAUSE THEY'RE ART PAGES, YOU CRETINS! NYAAAAAAARGGGH!!!
Is it wrong I laughed at your misery? Yes? Oh well, at least you have us to appreciate your art.  :lol:

Richmond Clements

Quote from: darnmarr on 27 March, 2013, 07:05:24 PM
My Dad asked me what do they put in food that makes it organic.

Genuine LOL there!

opaque

Quote from: A.Cow on 27 March, 2013, 12:04:20 AM

A friend studying at Nottingham University once told me that their library introduced a system which allowed you to search for books by colour, because so many students went in saying "Well I took it out last year and it was dark red..."

And this is why you need Librarians ;)

HdE

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 27 March, 2013, 07:08:57 PM

Is it wrong I laughed at your misery? Yes? Oh well, at least you have us to appreciate your art.  :lol:

I encourage people to laugh at The Misery of HdE. ;)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/