Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rog69

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 19 May, 2013, 12:14:18 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 18 May, 2013, 04:59:08 PM
My girlfriend doesn't believe in gravity.
It does seem that some of the smartest people around can be incredibly dumb when it comes to the ordinary every day stuff as if their common sense part of the brain has been lobotomized... Or overwritten...

Through the coarse of my work I get to meet and work with some very interesting people, many of them are Professors, Doctors, Design Engineers etc, all highly intelligent people at the top of their respective fields. I often wonder how some of them manage to get up, feed themselves and find their way to work in the morning though.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Rog69 on 19 May, 2013, 10:00:36 AM
Through the coarse of my work I get to meet and work with some very interesting people, many of them are Professors, Doctors, Design Engineers etc, all highly intelligent people at the top of their respective fields. I often wonder how some of them manage to get up, feed themselves and find their way to work in the morning though.
You'd be amazed how many of these type's of people are autistic. Geniuses maybe but often a factor in a general lack of common sense.

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 May, 2013, 06:00:28 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 18 May, 2013, 04:59:08 PM
My girlfriend doesn't believe in gravity.

Intelligent falling?

Cheers!

Jim

Thanks very much for that link Jim...I've just read that article as I'd never heard the phrase 'Intelligent Falling' before....I have to say I was absolutely and completely 'gobsmacked'...... :o
A branch of Evangelical Physics based on the 'literal translation' of the Bible.....I mean, seriously,  WTF !!??..
It was like reading something based on a premise from medieval times.....

I must admit it takes a lot to render me 'speechless' but that is ju....... :-X
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

M.I.K.

The Onion is a parody news site. The 'Intelligent Falling' article's not real, (though it does kind of fail as parody due to being all too believable and no worse than some of the actual intelligent design/creationist argument guff).

Sideshow Bob

M.I.K,
Thanks for that....I actually thought it was a serious article as I didn't read ( the source document or News article heading )  anything other than the article itself....FFS !! What a TWAT !!... :-[

To be honest with some of the things I've read recently regarding design / creation / religous stuff ( not excusing myself for being gullible here ) I wouldn't have been at all surprised if it was real ....Which I obviously thought it was !! ..

Off to 'hang my head in shame' now,  for being such a gullible twat.... :-[
You're a very bad man, Jim ... :lol:
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

SuperSurfer

Someone once told me they knew someone who was studying to be a solicitor who thought that WWF wrestling was real.

Now I don't mean to dis those wrestlers. Of course their antics are real in that those are true to life dangerous stunts that are feats of great skill, strength and stamina. But solicitor student man did not suspect that their bouts are acted out or pre-planned. He thought those are real fights, real arguments etc.

Who knows if he made it as a solicitor. If he did I pity any poor chump he represents as he would only be lining them up for a slam dunking into the cells.

Sideshow Bob

Someone once told me that there was another theory about Gravity,  called Intelligent Falling by Evangelical Physicists based on  the literal teachings of the Bible...
And I believed it....and it wasn't even April 1st... :o

The Doctor Alt 8

Patrick

Poe's Law: "Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing."

Sideshow Bob

Thanks Patrick,
I'm definitely using that as my excuse....
I actually approached that article thinking 'this is complete twaddle', and it coloured my thinking towards it.......But I didn't see any 'blatant humour' and thought it was real....
And, the really sad thing is, if there was such a group and they did believe that,  'it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest'.... :(

Mardroid

If it makes you feel better Bob, I thought it was real as well. (And I've come across the Onion before, and I wasn't paying attention.)

I actually AM a Christian* and I found myself mentally shaking my head* despairingly.

*Although not a very good one.
**My head in my head, so to speak.

Theblazeuk

Whilst discussing travelling through time zones from Bulgaria (+2hrs) to UK, my wife told me "there was no time" on an airplane. She couldn't offer any other explanation for what she meant.

Luckily I realised I was putting the hours on the wrong way in our discussion, which meant I could quickly sweep the conversation under the table...

Sideshow Bob

We were in Lake Tahoe, American Resort for a Ski-ing and Snowboarding holiday.....As we had arrived late in the afternoon,  we thought we would go up the Mountain in the chairlift, have a walk around, get a coffee, a few beers etc,  and check out various locations and facilities, as well as enjoy the views...

When we arrived at the Chairlift there was a sign which said.....No Strollers....
My mate, Gordon,  turned to us all and said.." Can you believe it...All this way and we're not even allowed to walk around !! "..

Apparently he didn't know that in America 'Strollers' are what we call babies buggies....He thought they meant no walkers, strolling around... :D

I, Cosh

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 23 May, 2013, 10:42:43 PMWhen we arrived at the Chairlift there was a sign which said.....No Strollers....
Ha. I stayed in Heavenly myself some years ago and the welcome bumph in our chalet included the following advice on what action to take should you encounter a mountain lion. "Make yourself big."

I opined that I may find it difficult to become aroused under the circumstances.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

QuoteI opined that I may find it difficult to become aroused under the circumstances.
But it might have been a sexy mountain lion...