Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

"Stupid things people have done and should be thoroughly ashamed of"

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 July, 2013, 11:47:28 AM
I read this.  Makes me want to thump people, some of them policemen.

"As Muslims, we are not supposed to eat pork. Those dead pigs in my garden only offended my nose and good sense of hygiene. For the record my family loves Peppa Pig, we just wouldn't eat her"

Ha! Why do rednecks imagine prosciutto is kryptonite for Muslims? Their superstitious stone age antecedents issued commandments forbidding them from doing all the same relatively innocuous things as their Abrahamic counterparts in Judaism and Christianity, for no particular reason; if modern Christians aren't outraged at the thought of their neighbours' oxen being coveted, why would Muslims lose their shit over crackling?

And why is it always that particular prohibition? Islam forbids usury too; why not just make a very loud public phone call to Wonga outside your local mosque and save yourself a trip to the abattoir?

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 03 July, 2013, 11:54:47 AMAnd why is it always that particular prohibition?

From Berlin to Bradford, every averagely stupid scumbag has heard of pork.  Basic morality, not so much.

Mmmmmm, pork.

NapalmKev

"Andy Murray is a hero", or even "the UK Lions rugby team are heroes".

No they're not heroes. They are lucky enough to get paid for something they ENJOY doing, there's nothing heroic about it!

Rant over, Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

A.Cow

Quote from: NapalmKev on 07 July, 2013, 10:47:29 AM
No they're not heroes. They are lucky enough to get paid for something they ENJOY doing, there's nothing heroic about it!

They must be heroes, shurely?  After all, they've neglected their kids so they can instead spend time practising hitting a ball around, and laid the seeds of future crippling arthritis & joint damage so they could get their name engraved on a lump of metal for five minutes.  If that's not heroic I don't know what is.

TordelBack

Quote from: A.Cow on 07 July, 2013, 11:56:09 PM...so they could get their name engraved on a lump of metal for five minutes.

I understand that there is some small emolument accruing to these titles as well.  Most likely an inconsequential trifle.

I know I'm basically a pimp for the late David Foster Wallace at this stage, but his long essay 'The String Theory' is a fascinating, if vaguely horrifying, insight into the world of professional tennis. 

Richmond Clements

Quote from: A.Cow on 07 July, 2013, 11:56:09 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 07 July, 2013, 10:47:29 AM

They must be heroes, shurely?  After all, they've neglected their kids so they can instead spend time practising hitting a ball around, and laid the seeds of future crippling arthritis & joint damage so they could get their name engraved on a lump of metal for five minutes.  If that's not heroic I don't know what is.

I know! I mean, who the hell would want to be the best in the world at doing something? How the hell would ever want to push themselves to their absolute limits? What's the point in that? It's hardly action that defines our species, is it?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 July, 2013, 07:06:37 AM

I know! I mean, who the hell would want to be the best in the world at doing something? How the hell would ever want to push themselves to their absolute limits? What's the point in that? It's hardly action that defines our species, is it?
The wisest yet most cynicle words i've read all day. Saying that it's 7:17 in the morrow and i'm still shit faced. That aside, I do agree with you, people will do what they love and no amount of online bitching from some stranger will stop them.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 July, 2013, 07:17:42 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 July, 2013, 07:06:37 AM

The wisest yet most cynicle words i've read all day. Saying that it's 7:17 in the morrow and i'm still shit faced. That aside, I do agree with you, people will do what they love and no amount of online bitching from some stranger will stop them.

Hardly bitching. The thread title is 'stupid things people have said to you', and people keep telling me that sports personalities are heroes. Again, they're not heroes.

That's not bitching; it's a perfectly valid comment.

Cheers, you heroes ;)

Richmond Clements

Of course it's bitching! Is that not the point of this thread? ;-)

NapalmKev

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 July, 2013, 09:57:33 AM
Of course it's bitching! Is that not the point of this thread? ;-)

Fair enough I suppose.

Cheers

Hawkmumbler

As my best chum said one time. "Football, a game for gentlemen. Rugby, a game for the unintelligent . Football, a game played by the Unintelligent . Rugby, a game played by gentlemen."
Actualy, that make'a alot of sense.

That is to say, Murry has put alot of effert into his work, and to many that make's him a hero (to me included), he's a long shot from those soppy-doppy excusses of human life we call the England Football Team, whom i'm actualy embarrased to be represented by. You'll never see Murry pretending to be wounded to make up time.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 July, 2013, 04:29:36 PM
You'll never see Murry pretending to be wounded to make up time.

To be fair, not being a contact sport, tennis has slightly less opportunities for such shenanigans, and "AAAHHH!! I've inadvertently caught myself in a bear trap which someone has carelessly left in the middle of the centre court and seems to have gone completely unnoticed by everyone present until this precise moment!" probably wouldn't cut it.

Frank

Didn't Goran Ivanisevic go off-court to have a shit, once? That's got to have put his opponent off his game, although not as much as if Ivanisevic hadn't gone off-court, I suppose. Sorry to bring down the tone of the conversation after Tordelback's fascinating Foster Wallace piece.

JamesC

Quote from: sauchie on 08 July, 2013, 05:42:49 PM

although not as much as if Ivanisevic hadn't gone off-court

That's what used to happen in the old days and a ball boy would swiftly scoop it up with a small trowel.