Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 17 April, 2015, 05:45:43 PM
What JamesC is more or less what I was trying to say in my far than perfect OP, Jim. Black individuals are, globally, a hodge podge of various cultural attitudes. Christianity, for an opposite example, I have experienced in the UK, Northern Ireland, France, Italy, The US (though only in New York and Florida, I will admit), South Africa and Turkey and it's all more or less the same cultural attitude. And I wasn't taken by the zealous attitude of it all.

What the flip were you doing to encounter Christian zealotry in all those places? A world tour of churches and cathedrals on a bus full of monks?

(Incidentally, I think you'll find Northern Ireland's actually in the UK an' all.)

Hawkmumbler

I am a member of a Christian family. My father wanted to visit the church's. It was either go or do nothing.

And yeah. I messed up with Northern Ireland. Ah well, splitting hairs.

Prodigal2

I'm a Christian (though conflicted and often septic with doubt). I wish Hawk's stuff didn't resonate so strongly with me. I wish I didn't share some of his experiences having traveled extensively within our little sub-culture- but I have and it's often been near ruinous to my faith.

What I can offer is something of a counter-balance. Believe it or not there exists out there Christians who have left wing political views and who have been involved in good deeds inspired by faith and who do not hide racism, homophobia etc behind the caustic veneer of a rancid and hypocritical smile. They engage honestly with Biblical texts that do their nut in and put their hands up when toxically confused.

Theblazeuk

The straw man of religion = race spontaneously combusted at birth. Probably an act of god.

ZenArcade

To my chagrin QUB pulls out of a prearranged Freedom of Expression discussion in support of Charlie Hebro, on the grounds of being unable to secure the speakers and audience safety (subtext dont wanna lose Mid-East finance and generally don't wanna rock the boat). As an ex QUB sudent I can only say I'm aghast at this cowardly decision. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Professor Bear

In defence of QUB, Northern Ireland is where the terrorists won so they probably figure "why bother?"

Prodigal2

Quote from: Bear on 22 April, 2015, 10:34:49 PM
In defence of QUB, Northern Ireland is where the terrorists won so they probably figure "why bother?"

Bear I have worked with Republican ex combatants and their analysis differs a fair bit from the above it has to be said.

Theblazeuk

Ireland - Where The Terrorists Won

Now that's a slogan that'll catch the eye! And probably some explosives.

The Legendary Shark

All they won was the right to be the same kind of screwed as the rest of us.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Prodigal2

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 April, 2015, 10:23:46 AM
Ireland - Where The Terrorists Won

Now that's a slogan that'll catch the eye! And probably some explosives.

My wife works in tourism-I'll pass that one on.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Terrorists didn't win in NI, two groups of combatants laid down arms.

Professor Bear

They got to be in government and yet the murders continue - if that's not having your cake and eating it, I don't know what is.

ZenArcade

Yeah, and we can't really blame anyone else. Time after time murdering, sectarian trash top the poll. You couldn't design a more fucked up situation. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Prodigal2

Quote from: Bear on 23 April, 2015, 11:56:52 AM
They got to be in government and yet the murders continue - if that's not having your cake and eating it, I don't know what is.

I think you are getting your Republican groups mixed up Bear mate.

Professor Bear

I do have trouble telling scum apart, it's true.