Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

I wonder if that's the original version or the Weinstein cut?

radiator

I think it was released uncut in the end, but it does feel like it's got scenes missing because the story feels so uneven and character development is almost non-existent.

Side-characters are randomly spotlighted during key action scenes, but get no development or screen time beyond that.

I feel like this film is getting a really easy ride because it's arty and foreign - it has major plot and character problems, even if you take it as a stylised fairytale, which you have to.

Definitely a marmite film - to me it felt like an experimental short stretched out over two hours. It's impressively gory at times, but it's so mannered and stylised that the violence never connects or feels visceral, and it loses impact when people keep getting 'killed' then standing up again as the story demands.

If you're interested in seeing it, take the warning that it's an art film first and foremost. If you want conventional narrative Sci if you may be disappointed. There were only a handful of people in the cinema and at least one walked out - I was seriously considering it.

Bolt-01

Just back from watching Transformers- Age of Extinction. If you've seen the others you know what you are going to get, but Stanley Tucci is worth it on his own. He is a fantastic actor who steals the whole show in my opinion.

Daveycandlish

Stanley Tucci is always great. He's like a 21st century Denholm Elliott; does some shite films but is always the best thing in them.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

SmallBlueThing

Land of the Dead- Saturday night treat for my kids, with popcorn.

Every time I watch this, I love it a bit more. It's surely now my second-favourite of the two trilogies, just after Day, and I always spot something new that makes me happy. This time it was Roderick from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies turning up as Mulligan's son in a couple of scenes- which was actually spotted by my youngest.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that both boys thoroughly enjoyed it- both went "Ewww!" when the zombie ripped a guy's face off and when another hapless victim got her belly button piercing bitten off. Both gasped in unison at the headless zombie whose head is actually attached by the flailing spinal cord, and both jumped at a couple of the sudden attacks.

Much popcorn was scoffed in the manner of a zombie eating guts, and both boys happily lurched off to bed afterwards, moaning and growling, after brushing their teeth.

SBT

HdE

Just saw 'Non-Stop' and thought it was brilliant. Loved the visual trick of putting messenger texts on screen.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

GrinningChimera

Four Lions

worth a rent. Got a few laughs. Not a watch again movie but a good way to kill a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon. 

Probably lost a big audience share after the [spoiler]Boston marathon attacks [/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 06 July, 2014, 05:38:03 AM
Four Lions

worth a rent. Got a few laughs. Not a watch again movie but a good way to kill a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon. 

Probably lost a big audience share after the [spoiler]Boston marathon attacks [/spoiler]

It a work of complete genius. Chris Morris almost at his best.

Theblazeuk

The Wookie is down I repeat the Wookie is down!

CrazyFoxMachine

Four Lions is amazeballs. Get thee back to the directors chair, Morris!

Dandontdare

One of the funniest films i've ever seen. Favourite quotes either:
"I'm the invisible jihadist. They seek me here, they seek me there, but I'm not there, I'm somewhere else, blowing up your slag of a sister" 

Or...

"A thorough police investigation has found that we DID shoot the right man, but the wrong man exploded"

I, Cosh

A moment of silent contemplation for Brother Crow's brave sacrifice.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

RIPD.

No matter how much you think "That's just ripping off Men In Black", you can't prepare yourself for how much it rips off Men in Black.

They've even got Danny Elfman (or whoever) on the music, and he's clearly just re-mixed the MiB score.

There are shots in RIPD that are so similar to MiB that, I swear, if you walked into the room at that point then you'd think they were the same film - I'm talking about the intro to the control room (in both films) in particular.

Still, the boys loved it.

I, as a father, was uncomfortable with the amount of swearing. Jeff Bridges seems to say "shit" (not "shoo-it", as a cowboy should) with increasing frequency. Or, maybe, it's just that his accent is as thick as his moustache and you cannot make out much of what else he says, so the sweary words stick out.

On the plus side: Kevin Bacon. He doesn't die. [spoiler]He's dead when the film starts, though.[/spoiler]
Lock up your spoons!

Professor Bear

I agree with Bolt's assessment of Transformers: Age of Extinction as it has everything the previous films did - robo racism, lingering shots of underage girls' bum and boobs, epic-scale scenes that seem to have the joy sucked out of them, a dreadful lead male actor, and the film itself is no fun but shitting all over it afterwards in the pub is.  It defies logical assessment to the point it just starts making things up, like Optimus just flying now for some reason, possibly because Pacific Rim did a bit where they were in space with giant robots so this film does that too, or the Transformers being made of a metal called Transformeranium, a prelude about dinosaurs being killed and covered in metal by aliens that then has literally nothing else to do with the rest of the film even though it is a film that features metal dinosaurs in the third act, oh, and of course the baddies are so evil they killed the dinosaurs - BOOOO!

Marky Mark seems to play some sort of terrorist as far as I can tell, as everywhere he goes, he starts running towards the camera and then something explodes behind him, so I think this is what happened to his wife: one night she served sprouts and when Marky Mark ran to the toilet she exploded, and that's why Marky Mark doesn't get on with his kids, because they live in fear of him.  One of his kids is a girl who is seventeen years old and a minor, which we know because the film spends a lot of time having characters tell each other this, and then one of them pulls out a page from a law book on the subject of sexual relations with a minor - which he has had laminated and carries around with him - and proceeds to read it aloud to the audience so that we will be reassured that he is not a creep, and that the audience will not feel uncomfortable several seconds later when the girl's ass is used to frame a shot, or later when there are close-ups of her ass or tits, or when there are camera tracking shots that focus on her ass or tits.
Getting back to Marky Mark, he has two acting settings: "running" and "doesn't care", and I at first thought he was playing it cool, but he was just not emoting at anything that happens around him.  Speaking of emoting, we are supposed to care about Ratchet but it was news to me he was even in these films, so to establish my TF nerdo cred, there's one character that made me go "thank fuck Marvel own Death's Head", and if you are a TF nerd, you will think the same thing.  My super-nerdo complaint would probably be that[spoiler], though it's great to have Frank Welker in TF doing the voice of the baddie Optimus fights (and leaving aside that he's not in it much), Galvatron was voiced by Leonard Nimoy in Transformers: The Movie, and the whole point of Galvatron being a Frankentransformer is that he's made from parts of the strongest Decepticons, so why not Sentinel Prime's voicebox?[/spoiler]  Okay, I think I've established I'm a fucking nerd even by the standards of a forum for a fifty year-old kids' comic so I'll stop now.
I'm glad I didn't pay money to see this, but am also happy it's out of the way.

JamesC

Quote from: Professor Theopolis K Bear on 07 July, 2014, 12:33:24 AM
I agree with Bolt's assessment of Transformers: Age of Extinction as it has everything the previous films did - robo racism, lingering shots of underage girls' bum and boobs, epic-scale scenes that seem to have the joy sucked out of them, a dreadful lead male actor, and the film itself is no fun but shitting all over it afterwards in the pub is.  It defies logical assessment to the point it just starts making things up, like Optimus just flying now for some reason, possibly because Pacific Rim did a bit where they were in space with giant robots so this film does that too, or the Transformers being made of a metal called Transformeranium, a prelude about dinosaurs being killed and covered in metal by aliens that then has literally nothing else to do with the rest of the film even though it is a film that features metal dinosaurs in the third act, oh, and of course the baddies are so evil they killed the dinosaurs - BOOOO!

Marky Mark seems to play some sort of terrorist as far as I can tell, as everywhere he goes, he starts running towards the camera and then something explodes behind him, so I think this is what happened to his wife: one night she served sprouts and when Marky Mark ran to the toilet she exploded, and that's why Marky Mark doesn't get on with his kids, because they live in fear of him.  One of his kids is a girl who is seventeen years old and a minor, which we know because the film spends a lot of time having characters tell each other this, and then one of them pulls out a page from a law book on the subject of sexual relations with a minor - which he has had laminated and carries around with him - and proceeds to read it aloud to the audience so that we will be reassured that he is not a creep, and that the audience will not feel uncomfortable several seconds later when the girl's ass is used to frame a shot, or later when there are close-ups of her ass or tits, or when there are camera tracking shots that focus on her ass or tits.
Getting back to Marky Mark, he has two acting settings: "running" and "doesn't care", and I at first thought he was playing it cool, but he was just not emoting at anything that happens around him.  Speaking of emoting, we are supposed to care about Ratchet but it was news to me he was even in these films, so to establish my TF nerdo cred, there's one character that made me go "thank fuck Marvel own Death's Head", and if you are a TF nerd, you will think the same thing.  My super-nerdo complaint would probably be that[spoiler], though it's great to have Frank Welker in TF doing the voice of the baddie Optimus fights (and leaving aside that he's not in it much), Galvatron was voiced by Leonard Nimoy in Transformers: The Movie, and the whole point of Galvatron being a Frankentransformer is that he's made from parts of the strongest Decepticons, so why not Sentinel Prime's voicebox?[/spoiler]  Okay, I think I've established I'm a fucking nerd even by the standards of a forum for a fifty year-old kids' comic so I'll stop now.
I'm glad I didn't pay money to see this, but am also happy it's out of the way.

Sounds awesome.