Main Menu

ref pics

Started by Jase, 21 September, 2009, 02:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jase

Hi,am putting together an art submission, anybody able to help with  ref pics of the academy of justice and cadet uniforms to work from?- haven't read the comic for a long time and dont have any back progs with the relevant storylines- would be a BIG help cheers!
"As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a graphic artist- and one day soon,
I WILL BE." - Tim Bisley,

Emperor

Tricky one - anyone know of any good stories these have appeared in? Have the designs changed over the years? I mean does the look from the Hotdog Run still stand? I have that to hand and it certainly doesn't look like more modern renderings. Or do you want the old school look?

As your starter for 10 here is Beeny's helment by Colin MacNeil, whose designs seem to be pretty definitive at the moment (as far as I'm concerned).

Good luck with submissions. Following on from the intro thread I see from your site you are doing nice work. If you need any general help/ideas/feedback then don't be shy about posting in the Creative Commons forum. Worth bearing in mind that Tharg might want to see some sequential work and it'd worth having a look at what Kevlev has been doing on submissions (here and on his blog).

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jase

Nice one! thanks for that mate- the only storyline I could remember off the cuff was the Chief Judge Cal saga, where Dredd recruits the Judge Instructors and cadets. I remembered the white helmets, the downloadable script "CYCLE OF VIOLENCE", requires an exterior shot of the Academy of Law, so could do with a ref pic of that, the creative juices are starting to flow am having some cool ideas for shots as I'm thumbnail sketching out the script as I'm reading and re -reading the script.
Thanks again Emperor!
"As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a graphic artist- and one day soon,

Emperor

Ah right that gives us more to go on. "Cycle of Violence" was in 1549 (and I can't remember  abean about it so will have to dig it out) so you'll be looking for something pretty much up-to-date. I'll have a dig around and see what I can find. I suppose the page from 1549 would be the simplest or do you want to avoid seeing the original so you can take a fresh shot at it? There is a mention of appearances on Wikipedia so it should be easy enough to find something usable.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Peter Wolf

The Academy of Law features in one of the JD crime files in the very early 200s.It features the outside of it,the inside and a load of baldheaded cadets.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Emperor

OK a little quick and dirty.

Academy of Law as it appeared in prog 27:

And prog 522:

However, it is possible it has been demolished at least once in various disasters but it probably came back similarish.

A cadet when first (?) seen in prog 27 - important features: helmet, chest badge and pads):

And on the Hotdog Run, prog 233 (again better view of the helmet, also a back view of the uniform and the big "C" on the rear of the bike):

However, the Beeny picture appears to be of her as a cadet, so the design might have changed, prog 1549 is still proving elusive.

Worth bearing in mind the difference between cadets and rookie judges, the latter have a white helmet and are yet to earn the full eagle, as seen/explained here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_(2000_AD)#Training

Jase

Wow!!- thank you so much, that is a great help

Emperor

No worries, just be careful if the design has changed but someone with 1549* to hand should be able to help (you can actually get an electronic version through Clickwheel, I think - the interface doesn't seem to be letting me through to the individual page).

Quote from: Emperor on 21 September, 2009, 08:38:20 PMAnd on the Hotdog Run, prog 233 (again better view of the helmet, also a back view of the uniform and the big "C" on the rear of the bike

I should have said the front of the Lawmaster can be seen on the cover, as far as I can tell it seems pretty standard:
http://www.2000adonline.com/vault/progs/233

*Ah just found the run of progs (I need to get the back in order!!) and I think the reason I don't remember the story is because that is one of my missing issues (I am annoyingly missing  afew round that time), so I can't help on that front.

Jase

Thanks again Emperor!-massive help!, and yes I'm going to completely avoid the original version of this story as to not be influenced by any of the panels-cheers fella!

Emperor

OK cool, probably a good idea, you can then compare and contrast later. If you want any feedback then start a thread in the Creative Commons forum (or you could post here and we can ask for it to be moved - your call). Good luck.

Paul_Ridgon

That's exactly what I've been looking for, I had the stuff that Colin Macneil did for the Meg strip, but it just didn't look quite right.  Cheers Emperor!

Emperor

Quote from: The Phantom Artist on 04 May, 2010, 06:43:56 PM
That's exactly what I've been looking for, I had the stuff that Colin Macneil did for the Meg strip, but it just didn't look quite right.  Cheers Emperor!

No problem - good luck with the script.