Main Menu

Titanfall

Started by Rog69, 01 September, 2013, 10:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheechFU

part of me, the inner child I guess, thinks it looks cool but the rational wallet wielding part of my brain informs me that call of duty with jet packs is bullshit no matter how you butter it up.
Also I'm pretty sure that calling 6v6 'multiplayer' is a crime against humanity in this day and age. Why yes sir, I will spend in excess of four hundred of the queens most jovial pounds to experience the unique feeling of a slightly crowded elevator.
I think not.
Good day to you, sir.

Radbacker

I agree about the 6 v 6 being a bit outdated (I love 64 player BF4) however I think if they had more human players in the game it might just mess up the balancing (apparently they've tried larger games in testing but just turns into a mess with too many Titans spamming the battlefield).  And I hate the COD games these days but this certainly feels a bit different (though I suppose you could really just say the Titans similar to the chopper killstreaks from the COD games) and honestly didn't feel sparse with only 6 a side.

The bastards have stopped the beta now though and with no warning went o play this arvo and it's gone :(

CU Radbacker

Keef Monkey

Yeah, all the outcry about the 6v6 player count really isn't something I can agree with.

People seem to think that multiplayer games should be increasing the numbers just because they can, when it all comes down to balancing and what works best for the game and its mechanics. Personally the multiplayer games I've enjoyed the most have been smaller more intimate affairs (Left 4 Dead or Gears Of War), because those player counts felt perfectly balanced and judged for what the actual game was. In the example of Titanfall, the player count seems right in the sweet spot to me, any less and it would indeed feel sparse, and any more than a possible 12 Titans on the map at once and it would get very, very messy.

Just because Battlefield works with sixty odd players doesn't mean every other game is designed for it (and it's debatable whether it does work, I feel a bit of a disconnect with the people I'm playing with when the numbers get that high, but that's largely personal preference and I know some people love it).

I also think people who call it 'CoD with jetpacks/robots/parkour' etc. are underestimating just how different in feel to CoD those elements make it. All shooters are going to be iterations on shooter mechanics which are established, the act of firing a gun in a game is unlikely to change dramatically but it's what each developer adds to the mix that makes good shooters interesting. We might as well just call Farming Simulator 2014 'CoD without guns'.

CheechFU

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 February, 2014, 11:17:45 AM
Yeah, all the outcry about the 6v6 player count really isn't something I can agree with.

People seem to think that multiplayer games should be increasing the numbers just because they can, when it all comes down to balancing and what works best for the game and its mechanics. Personally the multiplayer games I've enjoyed the most have been smaller more intimate affairs (Left 4 Dead or Gears Of War), because those player counts felt perfectly balanced and judged for what the actual game was. In the example of Titanfall, the player count seems right in the sweet spot to me, any less and it would indeed feel sparse, and any more than a possible 12 Titans on the map at once and it would get very, very messy.

Just because Battlefield works with sixty odd players doesn't mean every other game is designed for it (and it's debatable whether it does work, I feel a bit of a disconnect with the people I'm playing with when the numbers get that high, but that's largely personal preference and I know some people love it).

I also think people who call it 'CoD with jetpacks/robots/parkour' etc. are underestimating just how different in feel to CoD those elements make it. All shooters are going to be iterations on shooter mechanics which are established, the act of firing a gun in a game is unlikely to change dramatically but it's what each developer adds to the mix that makes good shooters interesting. We might as well just call Farming Simulator 2014 'CoD without guns'.

I just like a larger pool of candidates to shoot in the face and big maps rather than a developers tunnel vision of fun

Devons Daddy

I see this as a must have!
Pre ordered myself.

But as the franchise expands I am sure this will be a classic, gears of war and halo style. Building on its own solid gaming premise.

If it's script/story is good it should be outstanding.

I played a demo, it was very balanced overall.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Keef Monkey

Out tonight! Planning on grabbing it digitally at midnight so it'll be all downloaded and installed for the weekend. Pretty psyched, more-so than for any game since these consoles came out actually.

Rog69

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 March, 2014, 03:04:51 PM
Out tonight! Planning on grabbing it digitally at midnight so it'll be all downloaded and installed for the weekend. Pretty psyched, more-so than for any game since these consoles came out actually.

I think it unlocks at 23.00 tonight but if you buy now you can pre-load it, it is a pretty hefty download too at around 20GB (it decompresses to 48GB :o).

I have it pre-loaded now, my Origin key from Simply CD keys came a couple of days ago (much cheaper to get it from them for £27.00 vs £45.00 on Origin) and I have the whole day off to play it tomorrow  :D.

Keef Monkey

This game is bloody marvellous. So many laughs playing with friends over the weekend, the systems are just so well crafted to allow for great epic moments to just emerge and play out. Not a big online shooter guy, but I'm really, really loving this.

Radbacker

yep totally agree, having an absolute blast.  This thing has been play tested within an inch of it's life and it shows, extremely well balanced.  you can have fun in your Mech or as a pilot (personal fav tactic of mine is to call my titan down and have it follow me around and knock of the pilots trying to take it down).  Not all awesome though it seriously lacks modes.
It is a strange beast though and I can only sit and play for an hour or so before I get bored, then when I turn the bloody thing off I fell like playing again almost straight away  :o so they must be doing something right.

CU Radbacker

shaolin_monkey

What are you guys playing it on?

Keef Monkey

I'm on XB1 (tag is Superbeasto), you been playing it too?

Had a couple of games last night where nothing went my way at all, we were losing everything! Still had a blast though.

shaolin_monkey

I got it for £27 on Simply CD Keys.  I have a decent gaming rig, but rarely the inclination to play on it - until now!  Completed the militia campaign and got up to rank 13 in one sitting.  :D

Very enjoyable game.

Keef Monkey

Yeah, it's a bit of a kicker that the PC version is so much cheaper than the console, I paid twice that for the XB1 version  :-[

Still, feel like I'm getting my money's worth, every time I dip into it I'm having a good time. I like that the levelling up isn't too steep a ramp, usually the idea of prestiging something like that just doesn't enter my mind but it at least feels do-able in this!

Rog69

I'm having a lot of fun with this too. It's a beautifully balanced game and you still feel like you have had an epic round even when you come out at the bottom of the score table. The game lends itself to giving you lots of cool gaming moments, on my first ever round I titan-punched an enemy pilot in mid air as he tried to jump on and rodeo me, it was love at first sight after that  :D.

It's also really nice to see such an untroubled release for a big game like this too, I haven't run into a single problem in game or connecting, it has just worked flawlessly.

shaolin_monkey

I have just discovered Titanfall is rated 'good' on the nVidia 3D Vision page!  I'm installing the updated drivers now, and putting my shutter glasses to charge.  Excited!!