Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and twentieth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 676-679 of 2000AD, covering April & May 1990. This episode a psi judge is betrayed, Shadows hit the Zone, Armoured Gideon fights Jerubaal, there's intrigue in Universal Soldier Town, and the Chronos Carnival and Indigo Prime® open for business!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

-puts on tin conspiracy hat-

i personally think Agee was supposed to be Corey until john found out Alan killed her in that special

SpaceSpinner2000

It's the fifth part of the Starlordathon! The next four hours and issues 15 to 18! If you want to check out visuals for the stream, head over to our YouTube Channel, where individual episodes will be uploaded shortly.

Getting very close to the end now, an Conrad & Fox are getting TIRED!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Colin YNWA

Conrad I keep forgetting to say I think as you are getting close to recording (and remember folks you can see what's happening behind the scenes by supporting 2000ad's best podcast (apologise Eammon!) via the cradleline Patreon) the early 700s there a very important thing to look out for.

A creator that came a went in a flash left a mark on 2000ad like few others. A writer who crafted a deft tale warning you to be careful what you wish for as it might come true. A tale of depth and woe, seeming humour and confusion wrapped in character that most won't see. Amazingly he does all this in a single letter.

Not to leave his writing in the spotlight too long he of course explodes the artist world with a single image - again cleverly seemingly relegated to the Nervecentre but which shakes up artist perspective in the Prog like few others.

Oh he will burn brightly, but he will burn strong. So as you enter the 700s remember to look out for the semial work of Colin Taylor (Barnston, Merseyside) I'm sure both Fox and yourself will be reflecting in it in great depth!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 September, 2020, 08:01:40 PM
Subtle Hints

Say n'more chief, it's sorted.

Anyway:

In our thrilling two hundred and twenty-first episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 680-683 of 2000AD, covering May & June 1990. This episode we've got a tale of two comics, as we start by clearing the decks of Armoured Gideon, Shadows, Universal Soldier, and Chronos Carnival, then we'll bring in Harlem Heroes, Rogue Trooper, Medivac 318, and Rogue Trooper!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

SpaceSpinner2000

It's the sixth part of the Starlordathon! The final four hours and issues 19-22! If you want to check out visuals for the stream, head over to our YouTube Channel, where individual episodes will be uploaded shortly. 

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

And come back next week for our Starlord in review show, THE LORDIES!
We'd love to hear your nominations for:
-Best Art
-Best Writing
-Best Blueprint
-MVP

We'd love to hear what you think and if you get it in by the weekend we'll read it on the show!

AlexF

Sorry for bringing up old stuff, but I couldn't let you go with describing Prog 678's cover as 'Dredd on a stained glass window with some other stuff'. It's a pastiche of Gilbert and George, an artist/couple who will definitely tick your box of 'weird British shit I never knew I didn't even know about'.

https://www.artimage.org.uk/news/2017/white-cube-celebrates-50-years-of-gilbert-george/

I don't think it's their faces on the Prog cover - I guess maybe Hine and design droid Steve Cook?
Anyway, I remember my Dad being dead excited to explain this bit of art trivia to me and my brother when the Prog came through that week.

Colin YNWA

Gilbert and George were very much in the minds eye of the uk at the time as they recently(ish) won the Turner Prize (a major uk art prize) and were still getting a lot of Media attention from that. Very much at the vanguard of the then new (I think) 'Oh how is that art' movement the general public was led into by the British Media. Though their thunder would be stolen by the likes of Tracey Emminen with 'My Bed' a few years later.

My reaction to these pieces? Love Gilbert and Geroge's stuff. The thing that struck me most about 'My Bed' when I saw it a few years back was how smelly it was!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: AlexF on 09 September, 2020, 09:19:54 AM
Sorry for bringing up old stuff, but I couldn't let you go with describing Prog 678's cover as 'Dredd on a stained glass window with some other stuff'. It's a pastiche of Gilbert and George, an artist/couple who will definitely tick your box of 'weird British shit I never knew I didn't even know about'.

https://www.artimage.org.uk/news/2017/white-cube-celebrates-50-years-of-gilbert-george/

I don't think it's their faces on the Prog cover - I guess maybe Hine and design droid Steve Cook?
Anyway, I remember my Dad being dead excited to explain this bit of art trivia to me and my brother when the Prog came through that week.

I realize my error and mention this on an upcoming episode!

Also, the above direct link doesn't anymore, please use this one to see the completion of our Starlord Coverage!
Direct Download

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad.

THE LORDIES!

-Best Art
I liked Ian Kennedy's work on Robusters best and it is reminiscent of the work he would later do on the new Eagle's Dan Dare.

-Best Writing
John Wagner on Strontium Dog

-Best Blueprint
Strontium Dog

-MVP
Kelvin Gosnell. Star Lord was his idea and even though his original plan was sabotaged by management decisions he still managed to get a decent product out that benefited 2000ad when they merged.

sheridan

Here's the list - though I'm going entirely from Barney during my break at work, so apologises if there's any missed out.  Annuals and Special aren't included at all because Barney acknowledges they exist but that's it.  Names you don't recognise are probably cover artists.
disclaimer: I've not tried unpicking pseudonyms on this one, so some creators may be included under different names.

Artists
Ramon Sola
Carlos Ezquerra
Ian Kennedy
John Cooper
Magallanes Salinas
Carlos Pino
Horacio Lalia
Pena
Alfonso Azpiri
Brian Bolland
Jesus Redondo
Ian Gibson
Dave Gibbons
Kevin O'Neill
Mike White
Brian Lewis
Graham Cotton
Jose Casanovas
Jose Luis Ferrer
Alberto Salinas
John Higgins
Brendan McCarthy

Writers
John Wagner
Chris Lowder
I Mennell
Pat Mills
Alan Hebden
Bill Henry

Blueprints
Strontium Dog
Max Quirxx
Papa Por-ka
No Cure for Kansyr
Planet of the Dead
Two-Faced Terror
Demon Maker
The Brain
Time Quake
Ro-Busters
The North Sea Tunnel
The Preying Mantis
Midpoint
The Ritz Space Hotel
Farnborough Droid Show
Massacre on the Moon
The Tax Man Cometh!
Planet of the Damned
Mind Wars
Good Morning, Sheldon, I Love You!
Holocaust
Earn Big Money While You Sleep!
The Snatch
Skirmish!

The Monarch

-Best Art
A tie up between ian kennedy and john cooper on time quake a great wee strip which sadly got nudged out of top by its bigger meaner brothers. so i give the art team a nod

-Best Writing
John Wagner on Strontium Dog it may be early days for alpha and co but you can see the seed of what will become a legendary run

-Best Blueprint
Strontium Dog but i will admit it was hard choosing between this and ro-busters you can understand why they were chosen to go to the prog once the merge happened

-MVP
Kelvin Gosnell. solidarity on whizzbangs reasoning

Leigh S

-Best Art
Carlos or Jesus?  Carlos or Jesus?  Don't make me choose..... in the end Carlos was bigger than Jesus, but just looking at Starlord in isolation.... don't make me choose....... gah! Carlos of course, those colour spreads are peak Stront, so peak thrill power.... If Redondo had been given some colour it could well have gone the other way, mind.

-Best Writing
John Wagner on Strontium Dog.  There are one or two mis-steps in early Strontium Dog - the genocide of the Jox making Alpha out to be a right sap (and some Gronk cruelty too) - but otherwise, it is incredible how well formed the strip is from page 1.

-Best Blueprint
What else could it be but Strontium Dog?   I have doubts I'd still be hanging around the comic if it wasnt for Strontium Dog

-MVP
Alan Hebden - for good or ill, the burden to fill pages seems to have fallen on Hebden, and I can forgive a Holocaust when he delivers a Mind Wars - baby steps towards a slightly older audience, perhaps, but it feels like he has run with Gosnell's original vision of the comic more than most

SpaceSpinner2000

Thanks everyone for your votes, and once more for Sheridan for tabulating all the thrills!

In our thrilling two hundred and twenty-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 684-687 of 2000AD, covering June & July 1990. This episode the Harlem Heroes go on the run, Rogue Trooper learns the truth, Medivac 318 deals with civil unrest, Judge Dredd welcomes back an old friend, and Strontium Dog makes the ultimate sacrifice.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

The Monarch

and keep your ears peeled in a few weeks for the tragic story of how one of these issues turned out to be my first ever issue of 2000ad period :lol: