Main Menu

Prog 2158 Fear the Reaper

Started by Proudhuff, 16 November, 2019, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

I got mine and The Meg in a double drop today. Have already voiced my concern to TMO about we subbers mucking in with the rest on a Wednesday.

norton canes

Not too much to say, with the same roster of strips ticking over nicely... I think for the first time in this run Defoe nicks Top Thrill, while Brink perhaps treads water a little too much and the Deadworld plot meanders. Hope also brings home the Bacon, though I thought it was a tiny bit cheeky of Jimmy Broxton to duplicate the entirety of the large panel on the first page on the subsequent page, with a replaced head.

IndigoPrime

No Prog yet. I suspect it's been lost in the post then. First one in ages.

Freddychopper

Finally (!!) got hold of the prog this morning - late or what?
Will read hopefully before spoilers come online today for next week's 2159 (that didn't arrive)
Stunning, spooky Percival cover art and nice to see him back on Dredd for a while with Michael Carroll.
Kettle's boiled! to be continuned...

Mikey

I only received my prog yesterday - going from getting it the Saturday before to almost a week after the cover publication date is a big change which ISN'T WELCOME  >:( Still, as long as they're arriving I can't grumble too much.

Dredd starts a new yarn well, with a solid opener. I really like Percival's work as a rule and I like how it gives a claustrophobic, humid and grimy feel to MC1 here. Perfect for the story matter.

And Hope is continuing to be wonderfully chilling stuff! I don't know if I can add much more than that, but the quiet and understated way this is presented makes the horror all the more, well, horrific. Great stuff.

Number 3 on the spookometer roster is the frankly freaky Deadworld. It's gruesome, relentless and a lesson in creating and maintaining a tone though multiple series - I think the art on this run is a new high for Kendal.

Defoe has zombies. I'm lost and don't really know what's going on anymore.

Last and best this week is the wonderful Brink. Over to Colin...

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 November, 2019, 09:16:22 PM
Brink continues to be quiet genius. I seen folks say that this story isn't served well by being in short episodic chunks and I really couldn't disagree more. Each part and its defined sharp apartly simple scenes bring into sharp focus tense atmosphere, the sharp characterisation and the glory in the details, that final page. Then as you look back you get the slow realisation that week on week these small perfectly formed vignettes perfectly craft the wider piece and somehow a lot has happened. It just works so, so well.

...who sums it up perfectly.

Progs on good form Tharg!
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.