Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Tiplodocus

Dang. Right Stuff is a heckuva good book and movie.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

Not sure how many (if any) others this will mean anything to, but founder of the world's longest-running Goth (and dark alternative) club died last night.

RiP Mak.

Dark Jimbo

Richard Corben, 80. Best known for Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell record cover, and a long comics career. If only he'd managed to sneak in a little work for Tharg!
@jamesfeistdraws

karlos

Corben - absolute legend.

Yes, he would've been an interesting addition to the 2000ad creator roster!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Tragic news as Richard Corben is one of the geniuses of modern painted comic art, particularly in Heavy Metal Magazine. Awful news, just more conformation how shite the year 2020 is.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Barrington Boots

Tiny Lister, aged just 62.

Terrified me as a kid in his short awful run in WWF, and used to love spotting him in fims throughout the years. I'll be watching underrated Dolph classic Men of War later (also featuring the late great Trevor Goddard) and raising a glass.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sintec

Quote from: sheridan on 10 December, 2020, 03:38:21 PM
Not sure how many (if any) others this will mean anything to, but founder of the world's longest-running Goth (and dark alternative) club died last night.

RiP Mak.

I'm absolutely gutted. Trips down to Slimelight were such a huge part of my 20s. Discovered so much awesome music and met so many brilliant people in that scummy warehouse. I didn't know Mak personally but like so many on "the scene" he had a huge impact on my life. He will be sorely missed. I'm sure he's kicking up a storm at the afterparty.  :'(

sheridan

Quote from: sintec on 11 December, 2020, 09:21:48 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 10 December, 2020, 03:38:21 PM

RiP Mak.

I'm absolutely gutted. Trips down to Slimelight were such a huge part of my 20s. Discovered so much awesome music and met so many brilliant people in that scummy warehouse. I didn't know Mak personally but like so many on "the scene" he had a huge impact on my life. He will be sorely missed. I'm sure he's kicking up a storm at the afterparty.  :'(

Oh, just realised I didn't actually mention the name of the nightclub - it is indeed Slimelight.

TordelBack

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 11 December, 2020, 12:47:20 AM
Barbara Winsdor
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55269649

My better half was quite upset about this news this morning, which I took to be related to a long period of Eastenders-watching in the late 90s/early 2000s. Turns out, it actually dates to the Carry On movies, of which she then revealed a hitherto-unsuspected near-encyclopedic knowledge. Now I'd have been a casual fan myself as a kid, especially of Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Williams, and the saucier Babs elements (or at least the bits that made it to Irish telly) but I had no idea of the level of her interest.

33 years I've known this woman, and it takes the sad passing of Barbara Windsor to bring this to light. Funny things, people. RIP,  Babs.

karlos

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 December, 2020, 09:08:19 AM
Tiny Lister, aged just 62.

Terrified me as a kid in his short awful run in WWF, and used to love spotting him in fims throughout the years. I'll be watching underrated Dolph classic Men of War later (also featuring the late great Trevor Goddard) and raising a glass.

Men of War is a total classic.

RIP, Tiny.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 December, 2020, 10:41:05 AM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 11 December, 2020, 12:47:20 AM
Barbara Winsdor
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55269649

My better half was quite upset about this news this morning, which I took to be related to a long period of Eastenders-watching in the late 90s/early 2000s. Turns out, it actually dates to the Carry On movies, of which she then revealed a hitherto-unsuspected near-encyclopedic knowledge. Now I'd have been a casual fan myself as a kid, especially of Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Williams, and the saucier Babs elements (or at least the bits that made it to Irish telly) but I had no idea of the level of her interest.

33 years I've known this woman, and it takes the sad passing of Barbara Windsor to bring this to light. Funny things, people. RIP,  Babs.

That's mad, that is. Anyone remember Judge Bristol and her antics? Definitely one for the 'how did they get away with that' file.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Quote from: karlos on 10 December, 2020, 06:30:36 PM
Corben - absolute legend.

Yes, he would've been an interesting addition to the 2000ad creator roster!

A nice tribute to Corben: https://downthetubes.net/?p=123668
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.