Main Menu

Prog 1914 Crowd Buster

Started by Skullmo, 17 January, 2015, 12:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

A wonderful Alex Ronald cover!

I am only reading Dredd at the moment as I will come back to the others.

Dredd - hmmmm, it's ok. The art is lovely. I am a bit confused seeing [spoiler]Death and the lads suits appear magically on their bodies[/spoiler], as I have seen death create makeshift suits in the past (most notably Judgement on Gotham). That's the comic nerd in my coming out.

Nice to see a[spoiler] letters page[/spoiler] too!

It's a joke. I was joking.

Link Prime

Quote from: Skullmo on 17 January, 2015, 12:33:52 PM
I am a bit confused seeing [spoiler]Death and the lads suits appear magically on their bodies[/spoiler], as I have seen death create makeshift suits in the past (most notably Judgement on Gotham).

Really? That doesn't tally with their last appearance either; Haldane supplied their uniforms from a costume shop.
So...any clarification whatsoever on the 'spare' body?

Skullmo

Quote from: Link Prime on 17 January, 2015, 12:41:42 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 17 January, 2015, 12:33:52 PM
I am a bit confused seeing [spoiler]Death and the lads suits appear magically on their bodies[/spoiler], as I have seen death create makeshift suits in the past (most notably Judgement on Gotham).

Really? That doesn't tally with their last appearance either; Haldane supplied their uniforms from a costume shop.
So...any clarification whatsoever on the 'spare' body?

Maybe I am mistaken, looking back at it the suits are on them in the dead juice, but no helmets, [spoiler]then when they arise they have helmets on.[/spoiler]

Steve Green

[spoiler]You can see Fear is wearing his helmet, fire is obviously just a skull and Mortis mutates, and Death is Cutler before he shoots himself - as for the 5th body, presumably a mistake and 2 coffins should have been empty when he's carrying the body in[/spoiler]

Skullmo

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 January, 2015, 01:00:18 PM
[spoiler]You can see Fear is wearing his helmet, fire is obviously just a skull and Mortis mutates, and Death is Cutler before he shoots himself - as for the 5th body, presumably a mistake and 2 coffins should have been empty when he's carrying the body in[/spoiler]

Oh ok, I am never sure just how magical the Dark Judges.

user2000

Has anyone else noticed the new paper stock?  I'm not sure I like it, on the black and white stories you can see the reverse page coming right through!

Most off putting.

Same in the meg, Demarco is all speech balloons showing through the page.

Steve Green

Fear can magically grow mantraps from his belt, and Mortis manages to transform Herriman outfit and all in Die Laughing, depends what works for the story.

Skullmo

As I have often said I think the term 'alien super fiend' that is used for Death should really be replaced with 'inter-dimensional magical zombie' for accuracy.

Zenith 666

I believe the wait and hype is causing too much expectation .i believe dark justice is going to read far better collected than weekly.Staples art is truly gorgeous and having a re-read of first three parts there's loads I've missed or didn't see first time.knowing it's only eleven weeks long really didn't help either but those 66 pages to Wagner are like 200.The other reason is we're all being bloody spoiled for the last ten years.

ZenArcade

That's some damn fine Alex R cover art. Could Cutler not have just smuggled the uniforms in or made them in situ (he's had 30 or more days to prep this scenario, and the ship would have onboard technology to manufacture pretty much anything). Z
As ever cheers to Eamonn for sticking up that super cover.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JamesC

Just a quick post to say I'm really enjoying Dredd, Savage and The Order. The latter is shaping up to be a modern classic. Not so fussed on the other two strips but they're okay.

As for the Dark Judges costumes - who cares? I want to see Staples drawing the classic outfits. Anyway, perhaps the space ship has some sort of replicator or they got PJ Maybe to organise having uniforms smuggled onto the ship.

Skullmo

Quote from: JamesC on 17 January, 2015, 03:06:08 PM

As for the Dark Judges costumes - who cares?

True - who needs internal logic to make a story believable!

Steve Green

Yeah, you can get too bogged down in how things work - it can be a bit of fun, but it can also get a bit like reading a Haynes manual, and irrelevant to the story.

You don't need to have everything shown.

JamesC

Quote from: Skullmo on 17 January, 2015, 03:10:59 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 17 January, 2015, 03:06:08 PM

As for the Dark Judges costumes - who cares?

True - who needs internal logic to make a story believable!

But not showing how the DJs got their costumes isn't illogical it just hasn't been spelled out. I've given two reasonably plausible explanations for how the costumes may have ended up on the Mayflower. I don't think showing this (at this stage in the story) would really add anything. Besides, it may be explained further into the story or at a later date. I assume we're going to find out where PJ fits in at some point, which may tie in.