Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Heh. I think my favourite John Wayne film is The Shootist. A brilliant film, that. I feel like digging it out and watching it again...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

Great film, the end of an era of great actors and actresses. James Stewart, Lauren Becall.....
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

mimikeke

First off, I didn't know that plural legos are just "lego", and that it wasn't made in the US.  We have some Lego themeparks here so I just assumed.  *mindblown*   :o

I'm sure a lot of you will groan at this but I just watched Need for Speed and the new Robocop =P 

I thought Need for Speed was entertaining but the fact that it was free, our own IP, and we had a few beers probably helped.  Also if you have a fascination with closeups of Aaron Paul's face for some weird reason, you'll definitely get your fix in this movie.

I came in with incredibly negative expectations for Robocop but it turned out to be bearable.  The original came out before I was born and although I watched it quite a bit as a kid (it was filmed in my hometown so it was popular on TV) I don't remember anything about it.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: mimikeke on 15 February, 2014, 11:29:01 PM
First off, I didn't know that plural legos are just "lego", and that it wasn't made in the US.  We have some Lego themeparks here so I just assumed.  *mindblown*   :o

They used to get on my case all the time about this, too. I continue to say "legos" just because it's funny now.

The Legendary Shark

I've succumbed and put The Shootist on. I'd forgotten that Ron Howard was in it, back when he still looked like a human being, and every time I see Lauren Bacall I fall in love all over again.  And the Duke always reminds me of my Dad - same eyes, nose, hair and 'ornery disposition.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

I haven't seen it in many a long year, I still love the description of the car as a velocipede. Classic.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

shaolin_monkey

I saw that Lego film. 

It was really bloody good!

I do gave an urge to buy shitloads of the stuff though.

HdE

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 16 February, 2014, 12:59:21 AM
I saw that Lego film. 

It was really bloody good!

I do gave an urge to buy shitloads of the stuff though.

That's how they get ya!

My pleasant surprise of this week was the remastered Verhoeven Robocop. Bought it on a whim because I REALLY can't face the brain surgery and internal organ parade of the remake, and I just felt I needed a robo-fix.

It really holds up! Like, really REALLY well! Sure, the visual effects date it, but they're still fantastic for their time. ED209's appearance still makes me giggle like a child. The whole movie is still a great ride, and very satisfying to watch.

I got a real belt out of the extra features, though. There's a really good Q&A session with the writers, Verhoeven, Phil Tippet, Peter Weller and Nancy Allen. Paul Verhoeven himself, who I'll admit had always struck me as somebody in movies who might not be all that nice, refreshingly comes across as a humble, honest, very likeable human being. And he admits his mistakes, which always earns somebody BIG-ASS brownie points in my book.

There's even one moment during the Q&A which, call me a sap, actually made me go a little misty-eyed. We hear so many stories of Hollywood types being horrible and ruthless with each other, but there's what feels like a very genuine and mutual expression of admiration and friendship between Weller and Verhoeven. They mention having conflicts on set annd reconciling them, and there's not ONE HINT that either party is being insincere. It's lovely to watch.

Second best bit of the whole package is seeing a clay maquette of Robocop in one of the featurettes... with JUDGE DREDD'S HEAD ON IT!

Brilliant fun, great movie, great package, and the best ten quid I've spent all month.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

JOE SOAP

Quote from: HdE on 16 February, 2014, 02:51:39 AMSecond best bit of the whole package is seeing a clay maquette of Robocop in one of the featurettes... with JUDGE DREDD'S HEAD ON IT!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Robocop is a movie that teaches you that heartless corporations make souless things, completely devoid of any humanity, just to make a profit.
You may quote me on that.

Daveycandlish

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 February, 2014, 10:56:35 PM
Heh. I think my favourite John Wayne film is The Shootist. A brilliant film, that. I feel like digging it out and watching it again...

I only have three John Wayne films in my collection; True Grit, The Shootist and McQ - John Wayne being Dirty Harry.

I may have to go and watch it now.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 15 February, 2014, 11:52:27 PM
First off, I didn't know that plural legos are just "lego"...

They used to get on my case all the time about this, too. I continue to say "legos" just because it's funny now.

Wait 'til you find out that the singular of 'math' is actually 'maths'.

HdE

Quote from: Mister Pops on 16 February, 2014, 04:51:45 AM
Robocop is a movie that teaches you that heartless corporations make souless things, completely devoid of any humanity, just to make a profit.

I'm stifling a lot of comments about the remake here. ;)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

von Boom

Robocop. Even a Steve Jobs looking corporate type is a sonuvabitch that only cares for profit. Oh and there was a roboty kinda guy that did some things.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 15 February, 2014, 11:52:27 PM

They have a place for people like you. It's called a death camp.