Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: Steven Denton on 06 September, 2016, 04:07:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 September, 2016, 04:00:17 PM
Apoclypse Now (1979, dir. F.F.Capola), or, as I like to call it, 1 and a half hours of Capola showing us how thrivelus and derivitive the Vietnam war was and, you guessed it, the Americans ruined it all...

...Followed by puppies and visions of hell.

I do like this movie, as the psychologically destructive movie of the 'Nam subgenre, that  whilst conveying some really gorgeous battle scenes also highlights the obvious. No one really knows why they're fighting, and whilst a few try to paint it as a grand old picnic in reality it's hell on earth.

The Redux version is truly abysmal. But I like Apocalypse now as an action/Adventure film posing as art. King Solomon's Nervous Breakdown.

Yep, rarely do alternate/directors cuts of films work. Redux is yet another example.
Very much Francis talking himself into believing this was needed to be done, and then someone allowed him to do it. Best place for the additional footage is as DVD extras.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Spikes on 06 September, 2016, 10:44:04 PM
Quote from: Steven Denton on 06 September, 2016, 04:07:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 September, 2016, 04:00:17 PM
Apoclypse Now (1979, dir. F.F.Capola), or, as I like to call it, 1 and a half hours of Capola showing us how thrivelus and derivitive the Vietnam war was and, you guessed it, the Americans ruined it all...

...Followed by puppies and visions of hell.

I do like this movie, as the psychologically destructive movie of the 'Nam subgenre, that  whilst conveying some really gorgeous battle scenes also highlights the obvious. No one really knows why they're fighting, and whilst a few try to paint it as a grand old picnic in reality it's hell on earth.

The Redux version is truly abysmal. But I like Apocalypse now as an action/Adventure film posing as art. King Solomon's Nervous Breakdown.

Yep, rarely do alternate/directors cuts of films work. Redux is yet another example.
Very much Francis talking himself into believing this was needed to be done, and then someone allowed him to do it. Best place for the additional footage is as DVD extras.
Completely agree, a needless and boring cut of the movie, an extra half hour or so added onto a movie that was already a little too long to be perfect.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 September, 2016, 07:02:04 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 September, 2016, 06:05:20 PM
Rated PG by the BBFC and it's apparently a regular christmas TV events in Poland and Holland...

I first saw it maaany years ago, when C4 screened it in 15 minute chunks daily over the Christmas week. It made quite an impression!

(A quick google reveals that C4 actually commissioned it with the intention that it could be screened both episodically and as a feature-length film.)
Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 September, 2016, 08:28:07 PM
A certain creepy charm? That hare stitching itself together while it's guts leak out freaked the hell out of me, and I was 21!
Ha! It certainly has staying power, and as my favourite addaptation of the novel I see why, it's just utterly unique even for Czech film making.

Mardroid

Suicide Squad.

A bit messy, and part of it didn't make sense . But my companion and I enjoyed it.

The 'villain creates a big machine to destroy the world' macguffin is getting a bit tired though.

Theblazeuk

Finally watched Batman v Superman.

The horror...the horror... It is all so dark and dull. Jesse Eisenberg is rubbish - but he's not really to blame for that, I think. The writing for Lex Luthor is execrable to begin with. And the other characters don't do much better.

Exactly as I feared it would be.

Satanist

Not strictly a movie but I watched Our Robocop Remake last night. A group of fans film covers of various scenes all in differing styles from animation, action, comedy and musical numbers. They are then all knitted together to form the film.

Stand outs are ED209 in the boardroom and Robocop shooting the rapists dick off. I also liked Dick Jones having a shit in the sink.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Steven Denton

Quote from: Satanist on 07 September, 2016, 02:27:28 PM
Not strictly a movie but I watched Our Robocop Remake last night. A group of fans film covers of various scenes all in differing styles from animation, action, comedy and musical numbers. They are then all knitted together to form the film.

Stand outs are ED209 in the boardroom and Robocop shooting the rapists dick off. I also liked Dick Jones having a shit in the sink.

The Fatal Farm rapist scene is amazing! they should cut it into a special edition of the original!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Steven Denton on 08 September, 2016, 09:47:13 AM
Quote from: Satanist on 07 September, 2016, 02:27:28 PM

The Fatal Farm rapist scene is amazing! they should cut it into a special edition of the original!
Well having just watched it I can safely say this. I have never crossed my legs tighter than I am right now. JEEEESUS! :lol:

*Insert obligatory Brock Turner joke here because fuck knows rapists deserve this!

Rately

Our Robocop Remake sounds fantastic.

I've house to myself next week, so i might just add it to the list of things to do to keep myself occupied!

Eric Plumrose

MORGAN.

For the first hour or so, diverting enough in an EX MACHINA 2.0 kinda way. Then it self-destructs, in a stupid and tryingly unentertaining fashion.

There's also [spoiler]a twist, one that shouldn't surprise even without employing Morgan's redundant precognitive ability. Mind you, people here were surprised by THE DEAD MAN reveal so, y'know. Whatever[/spoiler].
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

By-Jove

Watched Fat Pizza & was once within spitting distance of the blonde who was Claudia. Because she actually did while walking past me one day.

Hawkmumbler

Well i've spent the last few days labouring over course work and scripts, and had two different viewing experiences on in the background at all times. First, the original 1913-1914 Feuillade FANTÔMAS five movie epic, and a rather delightful experience it was. It takes a certain patience to cope with a silent movie 103 years old, but it's such a rewarding experience you can forgive it, and this is ine of the best. A classic gentleman thief saga, all 5 1-hour movies, available in Fopp for £3 right now. Hop to it chaps! Following up on that was the three episode 1985 anime OVA series IZCER-1, a baffling but highly entertaining (if stonned) viewing experience, and actually rather enlightining as the trend setter for the guro ge re anime explosion f the direct to video market in the late 80's and the 90's. And, actually, it's light on plot but not a bad way to soend 2 hours. But then, I was half drunk whilst watching it so...

Zarjazzer

Captain America-Civil War. I rather enjoyed it though a few  James Bond tropes seem to be creeping in, secret underwater bases and the like. All great fun though[spoiler]. Ant- man and Spiderman's[/spoiler] appearance were deftly handled and a memorable fight scene at the airport.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

NapalmKev

Bi-Centennial Man starring Robin Williams as a robot trying to discover his own Humanity.

I enjoyed it. It's a bit twee and a little schmaltzy in places but Robin's performance really made it something a bit special. Worth a watch!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Rackle

I'm very very late to the thread, and still new to the forum, so hope there's no hidden rule that we may only discuss films of a specific genre or time period.

In honour of the recently departed Gene Wilder, @Sheridan introduced me to the film Young Frankenstein yesterday, and whilst I nearly hyperventilated from laughing at the film - especially at the [spoiler]Putting on the Ritz scene[/spoiler] I feel like there is a bit of a vacuum created now that Gene is no longer here.   :'( Wilder & (Mel) Brooks were an amazing combination for creating great films.

sheridan

Quote from: Rackle on 11 September, 2016, 06:26:32 PM
I'm very very late to the thread, and still new to the forum, so hope there's no hidden rule that we may only discuss films of a specific genre or time period.

In honour of the recently departed Gene Wilder, @Sheridan introduced me to the film Young Frankenstein yesterday, and whilst I nearly hyperventilated from laughing at the film - especially at the [spoiler]Putting on the Ritz scene[/spoiler] I feel like there is a bit of a vacuum created now that Gene is no longer here.   :'( Wilder & (Mel) Brooks were an amazing combination for creating great films.
Wilder is great as Willy Wonka, Blazing Saddles is hilarious, but Young Frankenstein is my favourite Wilder film.

We double-billed with The Dark Crystal (not that they have similar themes or anything, other than involving long journeys to spooky castles).