Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Marvel's Spider-Man on PS4.  Great-looking open-world actioner which could have leaned a bit harder into the RPG trappings IMO, but it was as pleasant a surprise to see a version of Spidey/Parker that isn't a bit of a prick as it was to see a version of MJ that isn't a massive-tittied appendage to Parker/Spidey's story.  The undemanding stealth-em-up sections were a nice break from the rest of the game's button-mashing, and while the story crams a bit too much lore in, its general direction seems to be the direct counterpart of fellow Sony-exclusive The Last Of Us and it all comes together well in the end.
If I have one complaint, it's that - as with all the other Spidey games since the PS1 era - precise web-slinging is almost impossible, thus rendering some of the challenge minigames little more than a crapshoot rather than a test of skill.

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 06 September, 2020, 10:34:02 PM
Marvel's Spider-Man on PS4. 

Dipping back into this with a recent purchase of the complete DLC pack, and it's amazing how easy it was to get back into the swing of things (ahem).
I think the Screwball Challenges are going to be an absolute head wrecker to complete for a full trophy list though.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 September, 2020, 02:18:50 PM

Dipping back into this with a recent purchase of the complete DLC pack, and it's amazing how easy it was to get back into the swing of things (ahem).
I think the Screwball Challenges are going to be an absolute head wrecker to complete for a full trophy list though.

I really enjoyed this. My one beef is that you can't as frequently use webs in combat (eg swinging off the roof to kick) as I would have liked.
Lock up your spoons!

NapalmKev

I had to use the DLC challenges to get the Platinum. The combat ones are fairly easy but some of the others are a pain in the arse. Great game, though.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

pictsy

I have finally uninstalled Runeterra after it became clear I was not having a rewarding experience in the least.

I downloaded Gwent onto my tablet and it took five minutes before I realised I would have no joy with it.  It looks way too involved for my purposes, the tutorial was vague and it just looked really ugly.

Apparently there is a capcom card game I could try out.

JamesC

I enjoyed Spider-Man (in fact I've enjoyed most Spider-Man games I've played -  they character translates well to games) but the thing I didn't like was the combat against faceless goons.
Spidey should be able to one-punch these goons. I find it frustrating to be foiled by a normal bloke with a riot shield when Spidey should be able to punch the guy halfway across Manhattan. I'd have liked to have seen more focus on minor super villains for combat or possibly time limits or style points for taking out average bank robbers and gangsters.

pictsy

I tried Teppen, the Capcom CCG.  It has an interesting mechanic, but I ended up not being impressed.  Like with Gwent, it comes across as requiring me to put more effort into learning the nuances than I'm willing to invest.  I don't think I'm going to find a FTP game for a tablet that I'm going to enjoy just because the scummy business model part of it will always impede any enjoyment I may have.  Teppen also had very upfront monetisation that turned my stomach a little.

Woolly

Currently installing the Avengers game, because I just can't be trusted with a credit card.
Pray for me...  ;)

Woolly

Also just started the Resident Evil remake on PC, and it's just glorious. I'd love an over-the-shoulder full-on-3D version, but still - what a game! Think I'll do Resi 7 again after this  :thumbsup:

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 07 September, 2020, 02:52:25 PMI really enjoyed this. My one beef is that you can't as frequently use webs in combat (eg swinging off the roof to kick) as I would have liked.

I think the problem there was that a lot of the web attacks weren't mapped to the actual web attack button, IE: you did the swing kick by holding down the melee button in mid-air, most web attacks were accessed through the gadgets, and the web zip has to be upgraded via the skill tree to be of any noticeable use in combat.

Keef Monkey

I really took my time with that game and was on a mission to do absolutely everything available before progressing story missions, the Screwball Challenges were the point where I gave up on that though! I just wasn't having fun retrying them so had to move on for the sake of the game. Sometimes think about going back though, feel like I need closure.

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 09 September, 2020, 11:16:49 AM

I really took my time with that game and was on a mission to do absolutely everything available before progressing story missions, the Screwball Challenges were the point where I gave up on that though! I just wasn't having fun retrying them so had to move on for the sake of the game.

Exactly the same for me.
I just couldn't bring myself to load up Turf Wars without finishing the first set of Screwball Challenges.
But you're right - for the sake of the game (and it is truly an excellent game) I need to drop it and continue.

repoman

Tony Hawk 1&2 Remaster.

Everyone is losing their minds over it but I'm a little disappointed and I say that as someone who considers the original three games to all be ten out of tens.

It does the basic things well.  The games are pretty much in tact and the visuals look good.  But beyond that I'm disappointed.  The main issues are that when you beat the game with one skater, it's beaten for all of them.  So there's no reason to replay the whole campaign.

Instead they've added hundreds of challenges which add a load of not as fun stuff such as specific gaps and some really high scores. 

I beat the game in a day and then started on those challenges but after completing all the gaps in level 1, I really didn't fancy it for the other stages.  And the 'platinum scores' are ridiculous.  Getting 750k on Mall was no fun but 1.6m on the first competition park is joyless.  I could do it if my life depended on it but in terms of fun there's no reason at all.

Barrington Boots

Pathfinder: Kingmaker on the Xbox One.

I know this has been out for ages on the PC bit I spend all day on a PC and so tend to avoid it like the plague in my free time. The Xbox port is really nice, although the save / load times are a bit long. Thankfully the game isn't as nasty as Baldurs Gate where you literally need to save every 2 minutes or so.
I'm a veteran of 1st edition PF on the tabletop and it's captured the game mechanics well, and it looks and sounds brilliant to boot. Looks like Syrinscape were involved in the audio which is pleasing as I've a lot of time for their stuff for tabletop RPG-ing too.

I'm only about 7 hours into the plot atm so ask me again when I've done 300 hours plus, but loving it so far.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

I picked up an anticipated copy of Super Mario 3D All-Stars for the Switch this week.

Of course it's great - Super Mario 64 is in my all time top 10 (the only surviving memory of Dec '97 / Jan '98) and Super Mario Galaxy is a 10/10 experience too.

I recall really enjoying Super Mario Sunshine, but between me, you and Super Nintendo Chalmers I will admit that I never completed in 100%. Naturally it's my first port of call after 18 years.

+ The cartridge includes soundtracks for all 3 games.
- Wouldn't have killed them to include Super Mario Galaxy 2