Main Menu

Prog 2109 - Shark-Infested Waters

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 24 November, 2018, 11:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: BPP on 26 November, 2018, 08:39:53 PM
Henry Flint said he wanted to draw Dredd on horseback so Williams obliged. So slag it off as Henry Flint's Horse.

Rob Williams said* Flint's Dark Knight Returns request made him think of the inexplicable horse he and RM Guerra had already introduced in The Man Comes Around**

* On the Thrillcast, I think

** Meg 344 (2014)

BPP

Quote from: Frank on 26 November, 2018, 09:01:02 PM
Henry Flint said he wanted to draw Dredd on horseback so Williams obliged. So slag it off as Henry Flint's Horse.

Rob Williams said* Flint's Dark Knight Returns request made him think of the inexplicable horse he and RM Guerra had already introduced in The Man Comes Around**

** Meg 344 (2014)

Q - Henry's art on Titan really was just superb, with a Hershey who just bristled with pissed off authority in practically every scene. And then there's the fabulous colouring throughout, including those really striking pages shot through with red emergency lighting. And that image on Dredd on horseback – a nod to Miller's Dark Knight?

RW: I think Henry said to me at one point that he fancied drawing Dredd on horseback.

From this website, October 2018.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Leigh S

Indeed, and as Richard said, even if it was Flint's idea for an image, it is the writer's job to make sure it makes sense, storywise - If Ron Smith had wanted to see Dredd on a pogo stick, I don't think the finale of the Judge Child would have been the best place to introduce it....

Quote from: Frank on 26 November, 2018, 09:01:02 PM

** Meg 344 (2014)

Woolly

Quote from: Woolly on 26 November, 2018, 01:22:30 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 24 November, 2018, 01:44:53 PM
The Dredd remained underwhelming for me I'm afraid.

[spoiler]So Dredd is not a simple tool, but a brilliant schemer because he told someone to hang around the Cursed Earth for months looking at a bit of the wall in the off chance he might see someone worth shooting?  This before Dredd knew he could get any evidence to bring Smiley out of the literal woodwork?That seems like a pretty naive plan to me.  And it ultimately WAS Hershey who saved the day and called off the ninja judges, so all that stepping about her seems to have been for nothing? If you squint a bit and don't think too hard about it, it is all very cool sounding, but under any kind of scrutiny it just doesnt have much weight to it.  Gerhart will tell Dredd one day how he got out of the completely hopeless situation he found himself in when last we saw him?  I assume it involved a horse riding Klegg...   I suppose it does at least clear away a few elements of Dredd continuity I disliked (Smiley and Kazan and ninja judges), so that's something  [/spoiler]

Apologies for curmudgeonness!

Yup, my feelings exactly.
Also,[spoiler] Dredd didn't know that Smiley had allowed the apocalypse war to happen until he saw the files. So why was he planning to kill Smiley via Conveniant Gerhart in the first place? Wouldn't it be better to, y'know, arrest him instead? Like a Judge would? [/spoiler]

Because Dredd has dealt with enough wiley foxes to know they won't be taken easily. Because he dosent under-estimate Smiley And knows there is a long game and many solders if not exactly what.

Next thing you know you'll be doubting the existence of Kleggs and pondering just how a gun could laser out a whole intersection at the rate of 9.8ms (increasing).

Oh and the whole 'rob Williams horse' thing... bit off frankly lads, Henry Flint said he wanted to draw Dredd on horseback so Williams obliged. So slag it off as Henry Flint's Horse. For me it was a brilliant needle drop moment and part of an amazing section (the whole save the chief judge / dirty frank interaction). But I guess it's not for some. Nor it seems the frankly franktastic Small House. To those I'd ask - what exactly is?

Firstly, I'm not having a pop at Henry Flint - his art is untouchable.
Secondly, I don't agree that Dredd would set up such a ropey plan without already having all the evidence he needs (which he clearly didn't), especially when he thinks Hershey is involved (which he clearly did).
Thirdly, no matter how cool Dredd on horseback looks, it's still a daft idea.

Accepting all this just because Rob Williams wrote it?
Sorry, but no.

Apologies if I've misread your post.

Woolly

And another thing - this isn't Dredd's house, it's Justice Department's house. It's a house of justice.
Maybe Dredd needs to get down from his high-horse...*

*(pun intended)

Frank

Quote from: BPP on 26 November, 2018, 09:19:46 PM
RW: I think Henry said to me at one point that he fancied drawing Dredd on horseback.

From this website, October 2018.

I know, mate. What I remember Williams saying is that Flint asking to draw Dredd on horseback made him (Williams) think of using the horse he'd already introduced in that earlier strip.

So, as Richard said earlier, Flint's the reason a horse is in there, but Williams is the reason it's a magic horsey.

BPP

All horses are magic, as is friendship.

Did My Little Pony teach you NOTHING?!

Frank

Quote from: BPP on 26 November, 2018, 10:02:41 PM
All horses are magic, as is friendship. Did My Little Pony teach you NOTHING?!

Arf!   I should add I didn't have a problem with Dobbin. I don't think it was a masterstroke, but it was a style of storytelling the strip hadn't seen before - which, after 40 years, is something.

JOE SOAP

They missed a trick in The Small House by not having [spoiler]Gerhart[/spoiler] ride in from the Cured Earth on Henry Ford.

Richard

BPP should be tied to a chair and forced to post incessantly in this forum.

wedgeski

Quote from: Woolly on 26 November, 2018, 09:39:37 PM
And another thing - this isn't Dredd's house, it's Justice Department's house. It's a house of justice.
Maybe Dredd needs to get down from his high-horse...*
That's a good take-away from the story, though, innit?

BPP

As Dredd is a clone he is part of the house.

Retired clones have the option of the long walk or bingo caller at eldster clubs across the city.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: pauljholden on 24 November, 2018, 04:29:32 PM
It's not my place, but shurely "Chums in the Water" would've been a good tag line on that cover...

But the joke is that THEY are the sharks. I think.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Frank

Quote from: BPP on 26 November, 2018, 10:02:41 PM
All horses are magic, as is friendship. Did My Little Pony teach you NOTHING?!

I realise everyone else has moved on with their lives and started Christmas shopping and stuff, but I remembered where I read Rob Williams describing the decision to include Champion The Wonder What All That Was About Horse in Enceladus:

'I think Henry said to me at one point that he fancied drawing Dredd on horseback. I'd written a sort of "phantom" horse into my Dredd story 'The Man Comes Around' that RM Guera drew so beautifully. So bringing the horse back at the end of Enceladus - like a symbol of Dredd at the very end - that felt really exciting. Taking Dredd to some primal, guttural place. The subjective walls of reality kind of crumbling a bit.'

Geoff

It IS Dredd's house...have you forgotten Dredd IS the LAW!

Can't decide if the explanation about the horse makes it more or less ridiculous...