Main Menu

Prog 2193 - Nothing To See Here?

Started by NapalmKev, 01 August, 2020, 11:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Proudhuff

All good in the Prog, and a Butt free letters page, what's not to like?
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Full Tilt Boogie shows that Regened stuff can work really well, at least in series format. It's strange as I find the one offs in the Regened Prog generally don't. Looking back, the FTB episode in the last Regened Prog works far better as the first episode of a series.

broodblik

The next regen prog I have a feeling is going to life up to its potential. The last few progs thrills of the future "What is Department K?" and "Pandora Perfect" really looks interesting and I am intrigued.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dandontdare

The prog is really hitting it these days, this prog's another Michelle.

Dredd: I hope there is a decent explanation of Anderson's little trick, otherwise it is a bit hand-wavey, but the story's exciting and the art is just wonderful

Full Tilt Boogie has grown on me and I'm looking forward to seeing what's happening next.

Diaboliks occasionally suffers from confusion as to who's who, but it's been gripping and needs to come back quickly.

The Order, as always is bonkers and doesn't let up for a  moment - Tord's recap thread has been very helpful!

Out is just sublime, best thing in the prog.

esoteric ed

I'm starting to enjoy this Dredd tale more much more now, as dark as it all is I was expecting something deeper and more epic due to the nature of the villains involved and what's at stake, but alas it's not over yet. This feels different in pace and approach for a multi parter and I'm guessing there's more surprises to come, I'm in for the ride.

Somebody here a few weeks ago mentioned the possibily of it all being a dream and I can't get that damn idea out of my head now :), perhaps it's all the result of Dredd getting a good (!) night's sleep for once.  :D

Either way I'm enjoying how it's playing itself out more now, next week should be very interesting  :o.

norton canes

I think I might have said this before, but I swear the Abnett droid must have six arms, which he uses to simultaneously write episodes of Brink, Lawless, SinDex, Kingdom, The Out and Feral & Foe in a blur of feverish creativity. That tantalizing reveal in the penultimate frame of The Out this week is awesomely cinematic. Is that a Tankinar on the cover, too? It doesn't look like a scene from this prog's instalment.

Nice to see Williams & Fint cranking up the "Ew!" factor in End Of Days. Can we have more of this sort of thing in the Regened issues please Tharg? Funny, though, that while the physical effects of Famine stayed with the crew, the pock-marks of Pestilence vanished once the disease was eradicated. Still no time to stop and think about any of that! The Sovs are here!

Diaboliks wraps up its first mini-chapter well - the Rennie droid sure knows how to mess around with the narrative timeline to great effect. The fact that the art briefly turns into a photostrip reinforces, I guess, my theory that Antonio Fuso was dropped in as a replacement for Dom Reardon at short notice.

A lovely bit of pathos at the end of Full Tilt Boogie there. Is Ifan doomed to drift forever like Tantalus through space, with his greatest desire perpetually out of reach?

And finally, The Order. As Tordel claims in his superb summary thread the strip lost its way a bit with book IV but has now rediscovered its mojo. Myself, I'm one of that subset of its fans who loves it all the more because I don't feel I need to keep track of every character and faction. It's like - you know when you're a kid, OK, and you find just one single copy of an old comic in a charity shop or whatever, and one of the strips is a serial, and because you never again find another edition of that comic it's the only instalment you ever read, right? But the strip is kind of even better for that, because it therefore has a sense of timelessness, and you can only imagine how the rest of it goes beyond that snapshot? Well, reading The Order is a bit like that. Which is wholly fitting for a story about fragmented time streams, I suppose.

Plus, a big robot gets hit by an even bigger train! BLAMM! His legs get smashed off!!

Dandontdare

Quote from: norton canes on 06 August, 2020, 11:06:15 AM
I don't feel I need to keep track of every character and faction. It's like - you know when you're a kid, OK, and you find just one single copy of an old comic in a charity shop or whatever, and one of the strips is a serial, and because you never again find another edition of that comic it's the only instalment you ever read, right? But the strip is kind of even better for that, because it therefore has a sense of timelessness, and you can only imagine how the rest of it goes beyond that snapshot? Well, reading The Order is a bit like that. Which is wholly fitting for a story about fragmented time streams, I suppose.

Very much this ^^^. We didn't used to need spoonfeeding all the backstory, we could just guess what's going on from context and enjoy a story anyway.

norton canes

I should point out that I'm in no way decrying TordelBack's fascinating and enlightening plot/character summaries! The more Order talk around here, the better :)

Aaron A Aardvark

Enjoyed everything in this Prog, even The Order, but The Out is just wow.

broodblik

I have neglected to give credit where credit is due in the current Dredd series and that is for the great colouring of Chris Blythe. Not only does his colouring complement both Flint and MacNeil but it helps to create atmosphere. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

DrJomster

End of Days is growing on me too. Strong scenes for Anderson there. Plus Dredd's line after: "Gonna be more than that if we're to survive this". Nice. Some good Lopez references in the posts above on this thread.

Diaboliks has been a solid first chapter. Interested to see chapter 2. Balancing the Big Bad of Each Chapter with the Overarching Thread could be a bit of a thing but let's see. A bit more Dom would be nice if possible, although I have to say Antonio does a good job. 

The Out continues to be rather splendid, I have to say.

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

WhizzBang

Have just caught up on several months of progs and can now give a few comments.

The Out is great. Does anyone else see it as a bit of a spiritual successor to Halo Jones? The lead character is out there travelling further and further from home and is kind of lost but also quietly competent. The bit where she had her first contact with another human in 10 years was a nice piece too that is the sort of thing I could see happening in a Halo book.

I am not enjoying the latest Dredd, but I haven't liked any of the big stories since Trifecta. Everybody else here seems happy with it, but I will be glad when we get back to some Kenneth Neimand stuff.

Full Tilt Boogie is great.