Main Menu

Prog 1866: Jail Break!

Started by A.Cow, 25 January, 2014, 11:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Cover - Very nice stuff from Mr Flint.

Droid Life - I usually love the antics of P14 but this was a disappointment: one poor gag and then a depressingly limp "punchline" (if you can call it that).  Mr Sullivan, you've let yourself down; you've let everyone else down; and, worst of all, you've let down pensioners & cute orphans too.  Shame on you.   :(

Judge Dredd - Titan (part five) - Moving on nicely, but the [spoiler]memory loss drug[/spoiler] thing didn't really work for me.

Ulysses Sweet, Maniac for Hire - Centred (part six) - I gave up after the first 10,000 words on page one.

A.B.C. Warriors - Return to Mars (part six) - Blimey!  Suddenly we get something worth reading.   :thumbsup:

Grey Area - All God's Children - Good stuff.  Patrick Goddard channelling a touch of Nigel Dobbyn, I'm feeling.

Strontium Dog - The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha - Chapter Four: Dogs of War (part six) - Action all the way.  Funny kind of cliffhanger, but then I'm beginning to think that this was always intended as a graphic novel.

Overall -- good work, Thargy-boy.

Buttonman

No letters - the wait continues. Tension level : meh.

JUDGE BURNS

My prog is a no-show this saturday  :(

Must be stuck in the floods down south in Brit-Cit.

Colin YNWA

Great Prog!

Dredd and Strontium Dog are unchanged in there delightery, their delightitude their delightilogy. Just great comics.

Elsewhere we gets some nice improvements. Just little tine bits across the board but often its these small changes that make a Prog stand out. Loved the exchange between Hammerstein and Harry in ABC, Ulysses Sweet, while the tone and humour was the same as ever seem to present things a little differently and I really enjoyed this. Grey Area just starts what looks like it will be a nice fun little sort and I was always a fan of Marvel's Z lister Armadillo

so nice to see make an appearance wit his family.

Great Prog, nice mix of thrills all pulling out a little extra. Top stuff.

Ghost MacRoth

Usual level from dredd, alpha, grey area, etc, but ABC continues to slip.  There's no doubt Langley is a great artist, but he's a piss poor storeyboarder.  Messy, cluttered, and a very limited colour palette make for quite a disjointed story.  Hope the yanks discover him soon, and he buggers off to draw marvel, or some other shite I don't read.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

strontium71

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 25 January, 2014, 07:29:47 PM
Hope the yanks discover him soon, and he buggers off to draw marvel, or some other shite I don't read.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion n' all , but uncalled for. I personally love Langley's art , and hope he sticks around for a while yet. His painted ABC Warriors and Slaine books are just works of art.
...because I hate you.

Ghost MacRoth

As I said, I'm not doubting his artistry, but his story telling sucks nuts.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Slip de Garcon

Loving the Dredd, tolerating the Strontium Dog.

What's in between is gash.

Dredd story - looking promising, is this the first time he's been on Titan? Working for me anyhoo.

Ulysses Sweet is appalling. TBH IMHO comedy has rarely worked in 2000ad, and this is a one-joke wonder. A waste of Paul Marshall in my view.

ABC Warriors - I just don't get them, I can read a whole series and be left with no impression of what happened. Pat Mills is such a talentless husk  now, I don't even know who is and who isn't an ABC Warrior any more. Art's OK though, thank goodness.

Grey Area. How much mileage is there in a shallow racism/immigration parable. I'd suggest not this much. Well drawn again, thank goodness.

I suppose you could have said something similar about Strontium Dog years ago, but it's written by John Wagner so it can only ever be top notch.

So 2/5 for stories, 5/5 for art!

Steve Green

Titan

[spoiler]

So they can give someone a new set of carbon-fibre lungs, face changes, rejuves, bionic eyes, grow new arms, but Titan surgery is irreversible?

Yeah, right.

[/spoiler]

Dan Banks

Titan is relying on a lot of continuity that I have little to no familiarity with as a new-ish reader. Still looks great and the drama is obvious. Good stuff.

ABC's has a similar problem as Dredd but if I'm honest, on a different level. I enjoy bits of this each week but not as a whole.

Ulysses Sweet is nonsense.

Grey Area is the surprise package of this run for me and helps to wash away the taste of sweet. It's simple, effective and funny! I didn't think much of this last year but it has arrived at just the right time here.

And strontium dog is epic. Easily the highlight of the prog right now.

Looks like ABC's is taking a week off, so are we getting a double lengther or a future shock next week?

judgerufian

Cover: Loved Dredd in totally screwed up mode but Nixon behind looked cut and pasted from another strip, the detail on her drawing even looks different.

Dredd: Great story which has taken a harry twenty vibe with the prison tiers but would one man be able to take so much punishment and would they dish it out so often when they need him as a bargaining chip? Odd. Oh and if Dredd and co have been out of contact for so long then why havent the nukes been launched from MC-1? These inconsitancies arent making me enjoy it any less though!

Ulysses Sweet: Reached the edge of my patience with this strip this week, been going on far too long now.

ABC Warriors: Its notched up a gear only to end this week. What? I'd be annoyed if it was heading somewhere but im sure the next chapter will be Morrigun flashbacks before she/it gets blasted out of the Warriors and we'll have to go through this all again seen from a different perspective.

Grey area: Interested to see where this will go after a solid first part, Goddard s aliens may not be Ace trucking co wierd but his work is really suited to this (as mentioned for the past 3 weeks!)

Strontium Dog: After some lack lustre and wierd johnny weeks, this was a really good episode. I agree that it seems very much destined for a collection. I have to say nostalgia made me think there was a missing 'Number 4 cartridge!' speech bubble when Johnny shot down the Norm flyers. Pleased to say I enjoyed SD again.

Link Prime

Quote from: judgerufian on 28 January, 2014, 04:31:40 PM
im sure the next chapter will be Morrigun flashbacks before she/it gets blasted out of the Warriors and we'll have to go through this all again seen from a different perspective.

I'm waiting for the Mad Ronn and Hitaki flashbacks!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 28 January, 2014, 04:43:24 PM
im sure the next chapter will be Morrigun flashbacks before she/it gets blasted out of the Warriors and we'll have to go through this all again seen from a different perspective.

I'm waiting for the Mad Ronn and Hitaki flashbacks!
Make it so, make it so!

Dark Jimbo

ABC Warriors: Its notched up a gear only to end this week. What? I'd be annoyed if it was heading somewhere but im sure the next chapter will be Morrigun flashbacks before she/it gets blasted out of the Warriors and we'll have to go through this all again seen from a different perspective.

You realise it's back in two weeks? Just a quick break to help Langley with a deadline, I assume.
@jamesfeistdraws