Main Menu

RIP Ron Smith

Started by sheridan, 10 January, 2019, 12:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

2000AD facebook announcement.

He was the main Dredd artist when I joined the Squaxx.  The Stupid Gun, The Weather Man and the Graveyard Shift, punctuated with stories by other artists, such as the Starborn Thing, Cry of the Werewolf and Requiem for a Heavyweight.  So yes, my introduction to Judge Dredd was through the pens of Ron Smith, Carlos Ezquerra and Steve Dillon.

Bolt-01

The tribute image by Pye-Parr is just beautiful.

So gutted by this.

broodblik

Sad news.  :'( Always loved his Dredd
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rackle

Gutted. I always loved Ron's style of art. He'll be missed greatly. :'(

radiator

RIP - one of the true greats.

Dandontdare

Nobody could depict massive-scale disasters like Ron, and I always loved his "two-gun" Dredd. RIP

broodblik

Robin Low

Okay, I'm going to say it: Ron Smith was the best Dredd artist.

Given our recent loss of Carlos Ezquerra that's a hard thing to say and I'd respect the opinion of anyone who disagrees.

What's particularly sad is that he retired before Dredd became more focused on semi-serious procedurals. His realism would have worked well for this kind of tale, while at the same time his humour and background detail would have kept the sense of craziness the strip has perhaps lost.

I'm glad he knew how much he was admired and respected by us.

Regards,

Robin

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Robin Low on 10 January, 2019, 06:50:54 PM
Okay, I'm going to say it: Ron Smith was the best Dredd artist.

We've been lucky to have so many great ones that there's no desire or need on my part to argue with that.
In this merry court of great and individual talents, Ron is the Jester to Carlos's King.

Tjm86

Over the years we have been truly privileged to have some of the finest artists of the last forty years work on Dredd.  No two ever produced exactly the same rendition whilst staying true to Ezquerra's original vision.  It would be interesting to see a repeat of the "Changing Faces of Dredd" feature from the first Dredd annual.  With the veritable feast of artists since it would make for an interesting work.

Greg M.

Ron was undoubtedly one of the greats - an amazing talent - and may he rest in peace. Though his clean-lined style was, on the surface, very different from Carlos's rougher, rawer art, in many ways they were two sides of the same coin. They were both absolute masters of the grotesque; of glorious, characterful ugliness, wildness, and madness. Dredd was a natural home for both geniuses.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 January, 2019, 05:27:09 PM
Nobody could depict massive-scale disasters like Ron, and I always loved his "two-gun" Dredd. RIP

No one could destroy Mega City One like Ron Smith! Between his long run in the progs and doing the Daily Star comic strip Smith had a massive impact on the design of Dredd (though few followed his two gun design), that is still felt in the comic today. For me though the key thing Smith did was establish the character and look of the mega-citizens themselves. In the 80s he seemed to be Grant/Wagner's choice for stories about the crazy people that lived in the city, be it Otto Sump, Marlon Shakespere (at least at first), Citizen Snork, or even the Hunter's Club, as well as stories about the day to day life in the city, like the Midnight Shift or the League of Fatties. He made an indelible mark on these comics we all love, and will be sorely missed.
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!