Main Menu

On the Subject of Old English Comedy...

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 31 March, 2016, 11:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

After I read about the passing of Ronnie Corbett & then reading about comparison between him, Ronnie Barker, Morecomb & Wise & I they thought sounded old.

Do you remember The Naked Vicar Show.......used to come on in same time segments as The Benny Hill Show.

Of the former, that title shouldn't taken literally. I don't recall seeing any naked clerics from what I recall watching probably from behind the lounge chair after my parents had told me to go to bed. (Something I definitely recall of trying to watch any episode of The Paul Hogan Show True, Aussie comedy when it was good!) I'm pretty sure that were plenty of topless page three girls or showing their naked buns.

That's all I recall of the show without Google searching for more info on that.

Also trying to recall another British comedy duo or team that must have spun-off from Not the Nine O'clock News......I think there was two from the older program. This show wasn't that old since I recall it from my days of high school.

Still, this predated or might have run parallel to The Young Ones.

Steve Green

ThryllSeekyr

While the name rings a bell...Don't know that one much.

I know tow of this team from NTNON...well one got married to Billy Connelly & the other starred in series called Black-Adder, while the other two were in film called Morons from Outer Space.

These were the two that starred a comedy show named after them, like a lot of these shows really. After looking on that movie page linked above. I noticed their names.....

Mel Smith & Rhys Jones. It was their show, I think it might have ben called Smith & Jones.

Of which I only recall the conversational joke about Circumcision & punch line.....No skin off my Back[/b]...

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 April, 2016, 12:39:49 AM
Alas Smith and Jones.

You must have wrote that when I was submitting my last comment before.

The name does have a certain ring to it.

Anyway, some more trivia, which comedy team were supposedly situated in the suburb or burrough of Cricklewood.

Steve Green

ThryllSeekyr

You are correct!

BTW......It was no skin off my nose (or Ass!)