Main Menu

Rok the God Kickstarter

Started by dancornwell, 13 August, 2019, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

That's a full on commission rather than a sketch! Looks fantastic.

I had a lovely page from Kill Bloopy come through from Dan as part of this KS.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 09 November, 2020, 04:34:33 PM
That's a full on commission rather than a sketch! Looks fantastic.

I had a lovely page from Kill Bloopy come through from Dan as part of this KS.

Post and share if you can 👍🏻😁
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Barrington Boots

If I can upload it somewhere I will!

Trooper McFad

I use igmur which is fairly easy use but there are others

Barrington Boots

Voila!

I really love Dab Cornwell's work and it was hard to choose a page. As well as the great shot of the armoured judges, I really liked this one for Dredd's stance and facial expression on the fourth panel.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 10 November, 2020, 10:41:32 AM
As well as the great shot of the armoured judges, I really liked this one for Dredd's stance and facial expression on the fourth panel.

Yep. That's a cracker.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Oh that is a glorious page. Well done so snagging it. Its a doozy of a story as well.

Colin YNWA

Finally got around to reading this and its a blast. There's a very expertly weaved line along three story paths. The whole space God ruler of his kind thing, the football club dependent on our man(well manish) and the fate of the actual Kyle Dixon. Just as you start to miss one strand as another dominates some flies in to return you to the missing one. There's one moment in particular when the footie tale has been in the ascendancy and the alien ruler deity story blast back to the fore in quite breathtaking style. Its masterful.

The other element is the comedy is gloriously broad. Its nicely balanced with the action, both on and off the pitch, but its breaking into the broadest grin funny as well. Real Kyle and the crooked ref are a beautiful comedy double act. Another boon the humour provides is the guile with which its used to explain the one man wonder player in a team of others that is such a trote of footie tales. Its a bit daft but, in this tale it works. And also provides a fantastic punchline to that strand of the book. John Wagner and Dan Cornwell have the fault of being Man U fans, but its also nice to see them pocking fun at the troubles that club via Radford's new American owner and John living his fantasy of having Scotland trash Germany 4 - 2 (i do wonder if John had to resist making it England, knowing his co-creator and fan base enough to avoid that?).

Then we get to Dan Cornwell. The fantastic Dan Cornwell. He delivers all strands of the tale magnificently. The football is all footie like. The alien world all alieny and the grim Kyle story all grim and hilarious. Its all done with a majestic fluid confidence that makes the whole endeavour bounce along with energy and humour.

Its a triumph and if you don't own it get it. You owe it to Dan Cornwell, of course you owe it to John Wagner but most of all you owe it to yourself.

Colin YNWA

If you are the kind of self punishing fool who hasn't already snapped up all the goodies over at the Rok of the Reds store now might be the perfect time to do so. NOT only do you get 10% if you spend of £30 you now get a free A5 sketch from Dan. I mean come on...

https://www.rokofthereds.com/?fbclid=IwAR30Z7yKQZy8vK3CbYiYYRYPT73XL26ajiZDuq0e-56nTu0py9NLuWhOfK8

Barrington Boots

Woah. Very tempted to get a replica shirt on that basis.

Colin YNWA

Oh forgot I'd not added these. Picked up a couple of Rok pages from Dan and here's the first from Rok the God

And the blurb I put against it on my ComicArtFans page

... this one is a wonder to behold. It captures some key features I was looking for. I adore Dan't spacecraft design. Its so good and so interesting. Its got a transformation of Rok into Kyle (for those that know the story). I love the winter landscape. It might be a little unrepresentative - I might have to go back and get a page with the town of Radford which will feel more typical - but Dan does it so bloody well.

The final thing is I adore that look over Kyle's shoulder in the final panel. When shrunk it looks a bit like a nervous grin. On the original however it catches the nervous anticipation so perfectly. Just a wonderful page.

Trooper McFad

A cracking page Colin. The transformation box is superb.
I do like Dan's work I'll have to sort out the finances to see if I can get something from him

Barrington Boots

That's a glorious page Colin!

Colin YNWA

And now my favourite of my three purchases from Dan. From Rok of the Reds He is a delight to deal with and his prices are so good if you are lucky enough to be able to get yourself a treat I can't recommend chatting to Dan enough.

Some thoughts on the page I shared on my ComicArtFans Page.

"Probably my favourite of my recent purchases cos it so perfectly captures the mood of Rok of the Reds - well I might need to buy a page with some footie on it but aside from that... - The wonderful broad comedic elements so capturing that 80s UK comic vibe. But when you look beyond that you begin to see the dark underbelly clearly exposed.

After all for all the fun of this piece and it SUCH fun, its basically a giant superpowered space alien mind controlling a cop and bending him to his will in a dark forboding forest... I mean that's not good right... but here it all looks such fun.

In that it perfectly captures Rok of the Reds and the British comics of the 70s and 80s it calls back to. For me the perfect Rok page ... well without the footie, must correct that..."

Colin YNWA

I went back to the Dan well and picked up two Max Normal and two more Rok pages. First up that footie page I was after...

Some comments I added on my Comicartfans page

"Well I said (somewhere maybe here?) that I wanted A Rok of the Reds piece that featured football action and when Dan catelogued all the art he had for sale this one really jumped out at me. Sure I could have gone for a page featuring exclusively football action, but this one says so much more 'cos footie is about so much more. The endless TV shows, the local paper with the local insights and gossip (love the Kebab Shop competition) and of course the fans. This one has it all in a freeze frame movie montage. Just brilliant.

I don't think Dan will be well known to comic fans outside the UK (???) but really check his work out his is quite brilliant."